Saab noob here introducing myself and questions - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th March 2005

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-3 Viggen blue
Default Saab noob here introducing myself and questions

Hello all, I am signing all my paper work today for a 99 9-3 Viggen. I wont be able to take it home today because I need a ride but I think things are planned for Wednesday.

I am a pretty techincal guy, and I have friends with all sorts of cars, I am a subie guy at heart maybe there can be room for saab too. I have a 98 Legacy that has alot of suspension mods on it and a few power mods.

When I test drove the car I did notice some bodyroll i would like to reduce and stiffen the chasis with some sway bars and possibly a strut tower brace. Any good suggestions for that, also would it be a good idea to replace endlinks with poly-eurothane(sp?) ones while i am down there?

Also about struts and springs i have some questions. On my subie I have KYB AGX and eibach pro kit springs and sometimes its a bit to much living near dc with potholes all over the place. I would like a combo that lets me feel the road and be connected but also having a smooth ridability. Any good suggestions on that one?

I will be looking to increase airflow, at this point not really interested in huge power increases with ECU upgrades. Any good suggestions for turbo back systems that do have some gains but still arent very noisy that will attract unwanted police attention.

I will try and post some pictures depending on the weather this weekend. I am a motorsport photographer on the side and will be heading down to the Sebring 12 hour race tuesday.

-jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th March 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-5 Combi, 99 9-3 Viggen, 85 900 SPG

Sweet my sis is minoring in photography at Northeastern. They have her in Scotland working in th PR dept of the Edinburgh airport...anyhow

The Viggen has a 22 mm front sway bar, they used this one for "better exiting traction" the 9-3SE came with a 24 mm bar, wich is on my 900 as we speak.

Almost all the aftermarket companys have a 22mm rear bar and price them below $100.

MP Performance also has a new 3 inch downpipe, even with a sport cat it is currently the best deal on the market.

Genuine Saab aka Taliaferro Saab has a nice upper strut bar and poly bushings. You can also find the sway bars there as well.

www.GenuineSaab.com www.MPPerformance.com
Old 8th March 2005

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

HERE are some possibly helpful site links. Welcome to SC.
Old 8th March 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                

You can get the Eibachs and KYB's for your Viggen. Also. But you said you weren't too happy, so you have many other choices. Some guys will leave the stock springs (I'm pretty sure they are a bit lower than reg 9-3's) and put upgraded dampers. With this combination I would think you could run lots of different dampers without getting too stiff. Or you could fit some Eibachs and all some certain shocks that aren't so brutal. Koni adjustables seem to be the best ones made, and should have a setting to make you happy.
Old 8th March 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 00 Viggen

the viggen springs supposedly lower the car 20mm while only being 5% stiffer in front and 25% stiffer in the rear.
Old 8th March 2005
Saab Lunatic

right, so these might be enough for you. You would then just upgrade dampers as you please and be a major step closer towards a great handling Saab.
Old 8th March 2005
Saab Lunatic

the difference in spring stiffness front-rear saab claims is to account for the increase in downforce at the rear for the viggen.
Old 8th March 2005
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg_td
the difference in spring stiffness front-rear saab claims is to account for the increase in downforce at the rear for the viggen.
NOTE: not applicable at legal speeds.
Old 8th March 2005
Saab Lunatic

i was just pointing out why they are so much stiffer in the rear, i never exceed the legal posted limit!
Old 8th March 2005

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1996 Saab 900S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg_td
i was just pointing out why they are so much stiffer in the rear, i never exceed the legal posted limit!
Who would do such a dastardly thing...seriously.
Old 8th March 2005

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-3 Viggen blue

thanks for all of the advice guys. .. i will be checking out some sway bars when I get back from sebring. I took it out tonight and I was on an on ramp doing 45-50ish and the parking brake light came on.

I didnt feel i was pushing the car to hard, was there any reason why it might have happened, like some kind of traction control? ANd when the light came on I checked the parking brake to make sure it was down and it sure was. I slowed down and the light went off.

thanks
Old 9th March 2005
Saab Lunatic

faulty sensor maybe? Post the quesions in the worskop forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement