Replacing Rocker Panel - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th February 2005

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
Default Replacing Rocker Panel

Anybody know what the plastic side spoiler (rocker panel skirt?) from a 2003 9-3 vert with the sport package costs or where to find one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th February 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 00 Viggen

do you mean the same ones as a viggen had?
Old 28th February 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                

that's high $$ if so...
Old 1st March 2005

Yes, apparently it's the same one as the 2002 Viggin. Dealer quoted $458 compared to only $150 for the normal side spoiler that comes with the ordinary sports package. He actually ordered the cheaper one and found it didn't fit and I just got the bad news. I can't believe there is such a difference in price. What a rip off. I will NEVER buy another Saab!
Old 1st March 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900 SET

You got to be kidding... There are plenty of options. Do your reaserch. There might valid reasons not to buy a Saab (student on a budget for example) but yours is a little bit unfair to Saab.
Old 1st March 2005
Saab Lunatic

What is your insurance deducatble? Or maybe that isn't an option? I mean 458 for the part, then to have it painted, you might be better off with a claim, depending on how the part got broken in the first plade.
Old 1st March 2005
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia Skyly
You got to be kidding... There are plenty of options. Do your research. There might valid reasons not to buy a Saab (student on a budget for example) but yours is a little bit unfair to Saab.
Good response, Asia
A man must realize that "economical modifications" is an oxymoron.
Also that a dealer is a place where automobiles are sold - period!
173K miles in the good ole USA

Last edited by earthworm; 1st March 2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 1st March 2005

A car to my left knocked an egg crate that was already on the road into the side of my car. I didn't get his plate number and he didn't stop when I did. If I file an insurance claim I'll get nailed for years with increased rates.

This part came on my car and was not a modification. The price for it is gouging IMO when compared with the very similar panel that costs less than $150. When you squeeze every penny you can get from a customer you lose customers.

My other complaints about my Saab include a number of rattles, cold weather suspension squeaks, busy ride, and excessive torque steer by today's fwd standards. I am also concerned about GM's tepid dedication to the company and the fact the car is becoming less and less European in design. This is merely the last straw.

Until GM announces and demonstrates complete long-term dedication to this nameplate it is a very, very risky purchase. BMW dealers have already told me that my trade in value is very low because of the possibility of Saab's imminent demise.

Last edited by recDNA; 1st March 2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 1st March 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear

Quote:
Until GM announces and demonstrates complete long-term dedication to this nameplate it is a very, very risky purchase. BMW dealers have already told me that my trade in value is very low because of the possibility of Saab's imminent demise.
I'm sure they're dedicated to the nameplate, this is what they paid for. In today's economy a brand is everything.

Unfortunately this doesn't mean they're particularly dedicated to a factory, set of engineers, or standards. GM like all the rest is a marketing company, NOT a car manufacturing company. Sure they make cars, but they're very happy to slap a chevy badge on a toyota or suzuki when it suits the needs of a particular market niche. Making cars is a secondary consideration to selling them. I think GM pretty much invented this strategy.

Even if SAAB is disbanded though, I suspect that we'll be able to get aftermarket parts for as long as we care to own our ng900's. An awful lot of the fuel and ignition systems are standard parts that could be obtained from the suppliers (at least for those of us with Bosch systems).

As for the comments from the BMW dealer, perhaps they're right, but Saabs have always been too finicky and expensive to fix to have much of a resale value. It makes them great used cars though

With regards to the price of the rocker, I share your frustration. Gouging on a body panel, that's SOP for any dealer/manufacturer and isn't saab specific. Maybe an independent body shop can help find an aftemarket source? Check out the price of the rear window someday if you wanna think about overpriced parts!

Last edited by JMarkert; 1st March 2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 1st March 2005

"Saabs have always been too finicky and expensive to fix to have much of a resale value"

You consider these things desirable in a car?
Old 1st March 2005
Saab Lunatic

Maybe he meant at the dealor?
The way I look at it is that they have their problems, but it evens out because the last longer then most cars, and they are oh so sweet when they are working just fine.
Old 1st March 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear

Quote:
You consider these things desirable in a car?
No, but Yes, what Redline said. If you take all your cars finicky little problems to a dealer or a shop, then there is absolutely no way that the cars are even remotely affordable. This is why the depreciate so quickly, however this makes them cheap to buy. So, if you don't mind (or even enjoy) working on it then you can get a very nice car for not too much money (I've stolen this theory from someone else on the board, btw apologies that I've forgotten who)

Last edited by JMarkert; 1st March 2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 1st March 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by recDNA
I can't believe there is such a difference in price. What a rip off. I will NEVER buy another Saab!
The price difference is really pretty understandable. The Viggen was a limited production car. They never made very many of the cars, so they never made many of the side skirts. My guess is that the convertible's sports package was more a way to get rid of excess Viggen parts than anything else. The regular skirt was on many, many more cars, so it would only make sense that it would cost less. It's simply the economies of scale.
Old 1st March 2005
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R.
My guess is that the convertible's sports package was more a way to get rid of excess Viggen parts than anything else.
Too bad they couldn't have discounted them to all of us loyal Saab 9-3 owners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement