Automatic flush - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th February 2005

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 89 900 Turbo 3DR
Default Automatic flush

My automatic transmission fluid hasn't been changed in 4 years (was only driven about 3,000 miles in the past 2 years) So this weekend while i was changeing the oil plugs cable's etc that it would be logical to change and flush the auto gear box.

Soooo....

What recomendations do people have here to flush the tranny? What flushing fluid should i use? what kind of auto tranny fluid should I replace my old stuff with? Anything i should be watching for while i do this?

Thanks.

--Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th February 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: have had 17 and counting

Go buy yourself about 12 quarts of good ATF fluid, type F only. Get the engine/tranny nice and warm. Remove drain plug and drain. You'll get about 3 quarts out. Replace plug and refill transmission. Start the car, put it through each of the gears for 30 seconds or so, or better yet, drive to the end of the block and back. Remove drain plug and do this routine again....and again...and again.

The transmission holds about 12 quarts but you'll only get about 3 out by draining, the rest is in the torque converter etc. By draining and refilling, you are diluting the old stuff with new so by the time you've gone through the routine about 4 times, it's virtually all new fluid.

Unless you're seeing some really nasty stuff coming out, I wouldn't bother with dropping the pan and cleaning the filter.
Old 18th February 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1991 900 16v Turbo Convertible SE

Additionally, I think that the final drive/differential has a different fluid reservoir. Having never had a Saab automatic, I know nothing more.
Old 18th February 2005

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '92 900LPT, '90 900i vert

Different final drive reservoir. I put some really thick gear oil in there 'cos of a loud whine {it was already empty when I went to drain it!...}.

Details of auto trans service procedure is at: http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/c9...ionservice.htm
Old 18th February 2005

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 89 900 Turbo 3DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaly
Different final drive reservoir. I put some really thick gear oil in there 'cos of a loud whine {it was already empty when I went to drain it!...}.
thanks!

So basically it won't hurt the final drive just to stick gear oil in it? I take it my old transmission (170,000mi) would like that better?

--Jeremy
Old 19th February 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900S 3-door auto. 1988 900S 4-door 5-spd.

The Bentley manual specifies EP-80 gear oil for the final drive, with 10W-30 engine oil as an alternative. I use gear oil in our 900 auto final drive, because of its extreme-pressure (EP) properties.

Regarding your trans fluid, since it's only 4 years old and has seen very little miles, I wouldn't bother to change it.

*edit* I always buy fluids from Wal-Mart; best prices, and the quality is there because they have to meet the same specs as the name-brand ones. Wal-Mart has the Type F fluid for your trans, in quart bottles and in gallon containers.

Last edited by ProfZ; 19th February 2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 19th February 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: 96 900SET, 88 9000T

Gurss it depends a bit on whether all the fluid was changed 4 years ago.
If so, I probably wouldn't worry about it as long as the level, color and smell are OK. If only part of it was changed last time, then go ahead and change just what comes out of the pan when you pull the plug--about 2.5 qts as I remember.
I've used 75W-90 synthetic gear lube in my final drives for many years. If it has been changed recently, just check the level.

If the power steering fluid hasn't been changed recently, that would be a good thing to do. Take out as much as you can from the reservoir, refill, drive enough to mix, repeat a couple more times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement