It's time to get some fluids down here. - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13-02-05

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 900 Turbo, 1985
Default It's time to get some fluids down here.

Hullo.

New Saab owner (2 months!) and new to the board. I've got a few questions.

My power sterring fluid is rather low and it needs to be changed, is there a good oil for this? and is this a hard thing to do? I just want to to top it. Or would it be better to flush it?

Second, my transmission has been "sticking" a bit lately. I read in past threads that people were using Dexron III, but it appears that it only works in automatic transmissions, mine is manual. Again any advice on transmission oil would be much appreciated.

Thanks, lads!

PePe.
Advertisement

Old 13-02-05
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: '89 T16 "woody"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Boy_Racer
Hullo.

New Saab owner (2 months!) and new to the board. I've got a few questions.

My power sterring fluid is rather low and it needs to be changed, is there a good oil for this? and is this a hard thing to do? I just want to to top it. Or would it be better to flush it?

Second, my transmission has been "sticking" a bit lately. I read in past threads that people were using Dexron III, but it appears that it only works in automatic transmissions, mine is manual. Again any advice on transmission oil would be much appreciated.

Thanks, lads!

PePe.
Topping up is easy, open the reservoir on (passenger side, for you US folks) and top it up until the level it up to the full mark. Remembering of course to clean all around the cap before taking it off, because you don't want to get anyting else in there like grit or dirt.

I might be wrong about this, so disregard it if someone else says so, but I think you should top up with the same oil that's in there. If you don't know, you should drain the system first.

As for your gearbox problem... your guess is as good as mine.
Old 13-02-05
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Arc(stg3 275hp 300ftlbs) 92 900s

gear box oil on a c900 is regular 10w30 or 10w40.

DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL IN THE TRANSMISSION!!! as synthetic oil provides tooo much lubrication for the syncros to work properly. Takes about 2.5-3 US quarts.

FOr some of the later c900, there is no drain plug, so you either put the car on ramps or jack the ft up and remove the rear cover of the transmission. On the reatr cover when you remove it, you will see a little screen trap, clean this out and re install, then either have a new gasket ready or leave the old one on and use silicone to help seal, I personally am a big fan of silicone.

YOu will want to change the transmission oil 2 times in a short peroid to help flush out some of the contaminents that may be present.

AS for the PS fluid, just add fluid, as you will probably soon find out, there is most likely a leak. So every year or so you will have replaced the fluid

YOu did not ask but i will offer my $.02 anyway, Run a Full Synthetic oil in the engine, start with either, a 5w50, 5w40, 0w40 or 10w40, If after 3000-5000 miles you are not having to add a crap load of oil then run a ?w30 FOr a turbo car running it hard(or city) a ?w50 or ?w40 is best as they run hotter. First time you use synthetic change it at 1k miles to flush,( or use a engine flush like GumOut) Then after the flush you can run 5-8k miles(or every 4months) on the oil, making sure to check oil atleast every other fill up.

Best Wishes,
Earth Brown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-03-05
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Mine was a '79 900 4 speed - I used a synthetic 75-90 gear oil for at least 40,000 miles without a problem. The synchronizers were worn at 120K and still worn at 160K.

I would never use engine oil in a transmission or ATF in a manual trans.
The '69 99 called out for a 75 weight oil - very hard to find..
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 24-03-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2002                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 8v N/A & '88 900 SPG, Both 5 spd

This subject has been done to death.

Please search the forums under the Classic 900. You will know way too much after you are done.

Click on the link below . . .

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/search.php?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement