considering selling 9-5 for 900 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th February 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 5spd
Default considering selling 9-5 for 900

Let me start off by saying I bought a 1999 9-5 in September with 106k miles on it. Exterior was perfect, interior was perfect with the exception of a few small tears in the carpeting on the floor. Since then, my sister put a small dime-sized dent in the left back door (barely noticeable unless you're looking for it) and now it has 110k miles. I'm only 16 years old and I pay for the car payments myself, so needless to say i'm short on cash. I have been considering selling the car and buying a late 90's 900 and putting some money into that. How much would be a reasonable private-party asking price for my 1999 9-5 with 110k miles on it? Right now I have the BBS 17" low profile rims I got off my dad's 2002 Aero (not sure the model on the BBS rims but you probably know which ones i'm talking about, I can get a picture if not) and brand new Michelin tires. I would hopefully buy new rims and tires for the 9-5 if I sold it because I would like to keep my BBS/Michelins for the 900 (would that be compatible?).

Last question.. around how much would it cost to take a 900 to Stage 2/3ish (I don't know much about 900 performance upgrades because i've mostly just looked at 9-5)?

Thanks for any replies and sorry for the lengthy post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th February 2005

My Saabs: 2000 9-5 "TrollSport"

Wow didnt know you could drive a car at 16 in the States Bet the insurance companies love you
Old 8th February 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1984 900 Gli with an 87 N/A 8v engine

Heh its 18 here, a 16 year old driving a car just seems.... odd
Old 8th February 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                

I believe it's 16 in some states, not all. Still five years before he can have a beer though.....absurd
Old 8th February 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2002                                                

actually in some states it's still 14 for a permit. I honestly don't see why a responsible 14 year old should not be allowed to drive? In PA itís currently 16.5 for a full license and 16 for a permit. I had my full license well before 16.5, in fact it was about 10 days after I turned 16
Old 8th February 2005
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-5 Combi, 99 9-3 Viggen, 85 900 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean
I honestly don't see why a responsible 14 year old should not be allowed to drive?

Well, then we can start letting mermaids and unicorns drive too.

OR if your a Kevin Smith fan, the Easter bunny, Santa Clause, and a lesbian that doesn't have an agenda.
Old 8th February 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '89 900S 3dr | '90 900S 4dr

I got my permit when i was 15. License when i was 16.

Weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco
I believe it's 16 in some states, not all. Still five years before he can have a beer though.....absurd
would you prefer them to be able to drive and drink for the first time on the very same day?

-Alex

Last edited by DrSquirley; 8th February 2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 8th February 2005

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2.8T Aero SC

@Tweeks - I see where you are coming from mate, and I'd say it depends on the area.

Living out in the middle of nowhere in the US then 15 is probably ok - there is no public transport and a lot of these people are farmers. In the UK you can drive a tractor at 16, and we have real traffic density issues. Similarly you can drive any vehicle at any age in the armed forces while on duty.

In the middle of NY or CA, with excellent public transport, then maybe it's not so critical and one can wait til 18.
Old 8th February 2005
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Wow didnt know you could drive a car at 16 in the States Bet the insurance companies love you
Actually, somehow I only pay $600 per year for liability and collision insurance on my '99 9-5... the car is in my dad's name and i'm the primary driver on the insurance
Old 8th February 2005

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

I'll try to answer some of the questions actually asked

The wheels you have will fit a 900, the tyre size maybe a little big but not unbearable.

As I live a long way from you I cannot comment on potential trades you could do.

If cash shortage is really an issue and you wish to tune go for an MBC and a few useful bushes, braces and some decent brake pads.

Look in the new900/9-3 tuning forum, many there use an MBC with good results.

Also the last year of the 900 has some of the upgrades that came with the 9-3, but it is still a 900 in the eyes of the average buyer, consequently cheaper.
1997 Fiat Punto 1.25 85hp
Old 8th February 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 SE V6

With a clean exterior and interior and ~110k miles on it u could expect to sell it for 10 to a moron, but 8.5 is reasonable...I have been looking at prices for a while now...that seems to be the trend....
Old 8th February 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Saab 900S White

In Massachusetts its 17 for liscence, 16 for permit.

And 900s rule!!! I have a 1990 900S and my mom has a 1999 9-5. I love mine more maybe cuz its standard though.

And now for all you to get back on track
Old 8th February 2005
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serencavalier
With a clean exterior and interior and ~110k miles on it u could expect to sell it for 10 to a moron, but 8.5 is reasonable...I have been looking at prices for a while now...that seems to be the trend....
If I could get 8-10 I would be very happy, because I got a very good deal at 7! It was marked at 9 but they were having a week-long sale and it was only 8; then when I explained to the dealer that I would be paying for the car myself and it was only financially possible if it was around 7, he agreed. I'm very happy so far the only things that have gone wrong were bound to happen sooner or later and none of the issues so far have been too important.

I'm looking into about how much it would cost to buy the parts needed for a Stage 3 900... anyone have any ballpark figures?
Old 9th February 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 5 Red C900T16 Verts
Exclamation

You're all business Ragtopcv.
So back to the fun. I drove when I was 12. Got my permit at 15.5 license the day I turned 16. The difficult part of allowing 16 year olds to drive is expecting them to make rational decisions about buying and selling cars.
I'm in tiverton, come see my wonderful 900t16 before you decide.

Old 9th February 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-3 SE, 86 900 turbo convertible

I started driving, at 14, on a mid 90s Dodge Dakota Magnum V8 pickup truck in upstate new york (Dutchess County)
Got my permit at 16, though I lived in a city, I went up to Dutchess Co. and my uncle taught me to drive in a rural area
At 16, not too long before 17, I took my road test upstate rather than in the suburban area I live in, and got my junior license (Cant drive out of state, only between 5 AM-9 PM, and cannot drive into the 5 Boroughs; Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island)
Was taking drivers ed at 16, so when I turned 17 I got my "senior license"
Just Over the summer changed my license to Class "E", making me able to drive a livery vehicle (for-hire car) or small Tow truck
I have had my license 3 years now
My car is off the road for the time being until I can acquire parts, so I have been taking public transportation since late October, and to be honest, it is nice to sit back and let someone else worry about driving.
2000 Nissan Frontier XE 218k miles
Old 9th February 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSummer
around how much would it cost to take a 900 to Stage 2/3ish (I don't know much about 900 performance upgrades because i've mostly just looked at 9-5)?

Thanks for any replies and sorry for the lengthy post
I don't see how this plan is going to save you any money, I'd stick with what you have.

You're 16. You're going to smash up your car. You're going to do something stupid in it to get in trouble. What you have is more than enough car for you right now.

Trust me. When I was 16 I had a car that I had no business being in. What you have now is probably a little faster. I wrecked it twice in about 8 months. I did a lot of stupid stuff that could have turned out a lot worse.

I realize that part of growing up is learning these things on your own, and that I"m being a serious buzz kill. But you have plenty of car. Really, what are going going to do with a car faster than what you've got?

Alright, old man fabric is done being crotchety. What does your old man think of your plan? Listen to him. If he's cool with you getting an even faster car, then he clearly trusts you to be responsible, so go for it. If he thinks it's a bad idea, well, he's right.
Old 10th February 2005
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric
I don't see how this plan is going to save you any money, I'd stick with what you have.

You're 16. You're going to smash up your car. You're going to do something stupid in it to get in trouble. What you have is more than enough car for you right now.

Trust me. When I was 16 I had a car that I had no business being in. What you have now is probably a little faster. I wrecked it twice in about 8 months. I did a lot of stupid stuff that could have turned out a lot worse.

I realize that part of growing up is learning these things on your own, and that I"m being a serious buzz kill. But you have plenty of car. Really, what are going going to do with a car faster than what you've got?

Alright, old man fabric is done being crotchety. What does your old man think of your plan? Listen to him. If he's cool with you getting an even faster car, then he clearly trusts you to be responsible, so go for it. If he thinks it's a bad idea, well, he's right.
You have a good point and I decided it's too much work selling my car buying a new one etc for something I don't really need... but as for the question about my dad--- he drives a 2002 9-5 aero which he bought new and if i were to ask him about getting a faster car I already know what he would say
Old 10th February 2005

My Saabs: 2000 9-5 "TrollSport"

I agree with Fabric, makes alot of sense. Plus if you do crash, which I hope you dont, your in one of the safest cars around As for "Need for Speed" trust me save your pennies coz with the right mods these cars really shift
Old 10th February 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSummer
You have a good point and I decided it's too much work selling my car buying a new one etc for something I don't really need... but as for the question about my dad--- he drives a 2002 9-5 aero which he bought new and if i were to ask him about getting a faster car I already know what he would say

Glad you took that in good spirits, I probably laid it on a bit thick.

As Finn said, you can get a lot more power out of these things. In a few years you'll be wiser and wealthier, and can spend accordingly.

By getting a Porsche.
Old 10th February 2005
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric
Glad you took that in good spirits, I probably laid it on a bit thick.

As Finn said, you can get a lot more power out of these things. In a few years you'll be wiser and wealthier, and can spend accordingly.

By getting a Porsche.
That's the plan!! I got a job offer as the assistant network administrator for URI as soon as I graduate highschool plus my job now as the assistant network administrator for my school district and those two combined should be able to get me a porsche eventually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement