Towing - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th December 2004

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon
Default Towing

Here's a take from the other end, we all know about how much of a menace caravans being towed on the road are, well how about the problem of car being driven by morons.
Coming back from a few days away it is a challenging run through some twisties, coming to a garden centre that has a long straightish run past its gates, theres a silver estate car there, waiting to pull out, he goes as he sees me coming [though at this time nothing is behind me] "go to get out before that damned caravan" mentality, this is fine if like I'm sure plenty of you guys would disappear with a burble and a pop, oh no not this this fella, he dawdles, causing me to brake, then proceeds to do about 35 -40mph on a road that is limited to 60 and in most places is safe upto around 50 - 55. So there I am, stuck in third gear for several miles on a road with no passing places ; over time I accumulate 2 vehicles behind, I can imagine the thought process "damned caravans slowing me up" eventually Mr Dawdle in his silver estate pulls off about a mile from the next village, I don't bother winding it up as it's a thirty limit in the village, but once the other side, wel wound up the pace, up to 50 [ish ] in seconds, fifth gear, fantastic, fuel economy improves dramatically, and those 2 cars behind? they start to string out , from a towing persons point of view, damned useless car drivers!

Again this goes to reinforce what a damned fine workhorse the 9000 is, we only have the baby 2L lpt, it runs exceptionally well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th December 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900

Loads of people seem to do this nowadays (or perhaps im just starting to notice it more in my old age!)

I too find it really frustrating, and im kinda embarassed to say that it has driven me to start flashing my lights and sticking my fingers up on a couple of occasions

Ive been driving an old landrover for the past couple of months. Winding it up to 50 or 60 takes perseverence and effort, and almost every time someone balks me by pulling out infront of me, and then im left going slowly again and having to work hard to get any speed up.

They should make everybody drive something slow with very little acceleration and that is hard to stop suddenly, so that they know what happens when other people pull out infront of you.

The worst part is on hills. there is a big steep hill near home that i ahve to drive up in the morning. I always try to build up speed on the downhill before it, but then someone nearly always pulls out of the carpark at the bottom of the hill and makes me slow down, leaving me to crawl up the hill in 2nd at 20mph.

An old man pulled out on me when i was out in my (ex)ambulance last year. He pulled over and let me past after i tailed him at 30 (in a 60) for about half a mile. Didnt even have to use the siren
Old 30th December 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 3dr c900 T16RA, 9-5 Aero Estate

When I was coming back from Kent after the Fisher had had the bodywork attached I found that the 9K kept wanting to accelerate to 70 and beyond and it was an effort to keep the speed down to 60.

At one point I went past a Japanese 4x4 towing a caravan on one of the inclines on the M25. The amount of smoke from the exhaust showing the engine was working very hard, yet the boost gauge on my car was barely showing any boost at all.
Old 30th December 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomarse
Didnt even have to use the siren
I want one of those horns from a freight train Imagine that going off just behind you
Old 30th December 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: 96V4 -13,000 miles | Saab 9-3SS Aero

Those horns are freely available in the US. I nearly fitted one to the Explorer I had over here (chickened out in the end) ! Mind you, Raggy, a horn like that would have cleared those sheep ( no double entendre intended! )
Old 31st December 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: LPG '80 99GL, '80 99T 2dr, LPG '93 ng900

I found an online shop selling a nice selection of horns. will have a dig through the favourites sometime and see if i can find it.

I have a dukes of hazard air horn sitting in the garage waiting for fitting
Old 31st December 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 5 Red C900T16 Verts
Wink

I have the faith of my conviction that when a driver sees me, the same courtesy I would extend, will be extended. So very often I'm disappointed.
Nonetheless I still travel the ways with a lantern in one hand, and a ** in the other. How's that for a mixed metaphor?

Philosophical point. Happy New Year!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement