Weak acceleration & occasional 4 flashes - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th December 2004

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 95 Wagon
Default Weak acceleration & occasional 4 flashes

1986 900S 16v

First: When I am accelerating, it feels like the engine is being starved of gas (predominantly in the first 3 gears). The only way I feel any power when accelerating is if I pump the gas peddle in short bursts. Even if I take the RPM's up to 5000, still no power. I don't think it is the fuel pump... but I'm not sure what's going on.

Second: My check engine light comes on and flashed 4 times (I know this is a common post, but I don't have the tools to retrieve the flash codes). I can replicate when this happens by holding the RPM's @ 3000 in second gear for approx. 5 seconds.... then the light comes on. If I turn the car off and start it again, they don't typically come back. The lights also won't come on once the car is warm, even if I hold the RPM's at 3000.

I'm stumped and have no cash to take it to my mechanic.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th December 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1984 T8

I'm not sure to be honest, but I'm in Hamilton and I've got a fuel pump you can have for free if it gets you back on the road.
Old 16th December 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900S 3-door auto. 1988 900S 4-door 5-spd.

First off, pumping the gas pedal does not shoot more fuel into your fuel-injected engine as it would with a carbureted setup. All it does is add gulps of air, probably confusing the hell out of a bunch of sensors

Second, I doubt you have a fuel problem. The flashing check-engine light is the EZK (ignition) computer telling you it has picked up a problem. See Bentley, page 340-3 for the (easy) diagnosis.

The 4 flashes indicate either a bad knock sensor (or its wiring--the pins often come out of the sensor's connector; guess how I know), or a bad EZK unit.

Your poor driveability suggests the EZK unit itself is bad, or the ignition amplifier is dying (it's mounted directly across from the EZK unit in the front LH fender well). Try the tests on pages 340-8 and 340-9 in Bentley. FWIW, my money's on the amplifier.

*Caution* Do not confuse the ignition amplifier with the ignition pulse amplifier, which is unique to 1986-87 cars and lives in the fuse/relay box on the fender. It's not part of your problem; if it was, you'd get a no-start condition.
Old 17th December 2004

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                

Hi, I used to have this all the time, accelerate and suddenly not more power. The check engine light and the 4 flashes when I am at idle. I recently cleaned my AIC and the problem did not re-occur. Previously, I had this problem for many months.

Cheers!
Old 17th December 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 86 900T

if you ask me it sounds like a timing problem... work on your engine lately? i'de get the timeing light out.. or buy one.. only 30 bucks for the cheap one at advanced auto... let us know if you need to know how to check it.. mine did the same thing.. i was off by 10 deg.

i had to edit this post becuase i obviously didn't read teh one above mine (adult ADD I think :-P ) Try his solution before buying a timing light.
Old 17th December 2004

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 95 Wagon

Thanks for the suggestions... I will check all of the above this weekend and report back.

This forum continuously impresses me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement