Anyone with a black Saab ever thought of this...... - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th December 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: Silver 9-3SE lpt 1999.

I saw a Grand Cherokee today and it had extremely shiny black headlight housing, even without those chrome shine parts like you've posted on those pictures. Seems to me you could get same efect by coating "regular" housing with transparent black spray, like those for tail lights. Only thing that worry me is that Cherokee has xenon's vs. reguar bulbs in Saab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th December 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2002                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 Sedan,87 Airflow,05 9-5 Wagon

Ok guys black corner lamps are done! What a pain in the ***! I dont recommend anyone doing this, it is extremely difficult and requires lots of patience. Not to mention you have to cut the top strip of your corner lamps! I only recommend doing this if you have a set of old corner lamps! I ended up putting like 3 cracks on the first lamp that i did! However once i put the weatherstripping material back on the top of the lamp they should look pretty good plus they will be the only black corner lamps on a Saab . I put the corners in the oven but it did not loosen up the old silicone enough for the lense to pop off, as a matter of fact the plastic will start to melt and warp before you can get that old sealant melted. So if you do decide to do this, stay away from the oven and just use the dremmel tool.

here it goes:
  • take the lamps off (of course)
  • cut the weatherstripping around the lights off with a box cutter or razor (u will need to glue that back on when your done) (my corners were so old the rubber was no good so i am making new weatherstripping out of rubber gasket material)
  • i put the lense in the oven at 300 degrees for 8 minutes and was able to "carefully" break the seal from only the front corner of the lamp ( the side that sits parallel to the headlight)! Theres a lip that goes around the top of the lense which is about .25mm which needs to be dremmeled off! be sure to put something in the bulb sockets cuz they will warp in the oven, i used a socket the same size as the bulb hole. **Be sure not to touch the socket when it comes out of the oven you will burn your freakin fingers off!
  • then i dremmeled around the lense as close to the housing as possible. Keep in mind you want to keep this cut as straight as possible and as close to the housing as possible for better results when resealing the lense.
  • once the lense was cutoff i smoothed out all the edges of the lense and the housing so that it would stick really nice when resealed with the silicone. this is very time consuming and i think the most important part of the project because this will determine how good your lense reseals!
  • at this point i cleaned up the inner part of the lense with goof off and took off any of the remains from the old amber reflector.
  • i taped off some circles where the bulb goes so that i would have a little chrome there for reflective purposes. Painted everything else with black engine paint. Two coats of paint.
  • then put a good size bead of "Auto Marine silicone sealant" (Ace Hardware $5)around the housing where the lense will go. After i place the lense back on the housing i put masking tape over the housing so that the silicone would have a nice tight seal. I let it dry overnight then took the masking tape off and reinstalled.
I have not yet installed the new gasket/weatherstripping material yet! I will do this in a couple days! This will be a nice addition and will help cover up where the lense was cut.

Like i said before this was a pretty difficult and a very time consuming project and I dont really recommend doing it but if you guys are mechanically inclined and as meticulous as me go ahead and try it!

Be careful with the oven fellas i warped one of my corners and had to use one of those welder torches to re-shape the corner lense!

I do have more pics but i have to make them smaller before i can post them!

Took about 3 hours each lense!

Last edited by dasaabguy; 8th December 2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 29th December 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-5 | 06 9-7x | 04 9-3 no more =(

Too much JDM in your area haha even more in mine
Old 29th December 2004
Super Moderator

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: gone: '01 9-5 2.3t, 1997 900 SE turbo

You could maybe buy an HID kit and try it out. On many cars, aftermarket kits are a bit odd b/c the reflectors weren't meant to reflect HID light. I don't know of anyone whose actually tried on one of our cars though. It WON'T burn anything up, as many believe. The kits themselves are quite safe. However, it would be an expensive experiment as an HID kit will run $5-600 USD.
Old 29th December 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrell
You could maybe buy an HID kit and try it out. On many cars, aftermarket kits are a bit odd b/c the reflectors weren't meant to reflect HID light. I don't know of anyone whose actually tried on one of our cars though. It WON'T burn anything up, as many believe. The kits themselves are quite safe. However, it would be an expensive experiment as an HID kit will run $5-600 USD.
I have seen HID's on eBay for $300 and know of one who has fitted it to to their 9-3 so it can be done for much less.
Old 29th December 2004
Super Moderator

You are correct sir! I should have elaborated. A BI-XENON HID kit will run closer to $5 or $600. I know some people think having brights when you have HID is overkill, but I can't get passed it. The kits I have seen for regular low-beam HID have been in the high three's to low fours. But I've never looked on eBay.

BTW, what was your impression of the kit on a 9-3? Was that OUR model 9-3 or the SS?
Old 29th December 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                

That's correct. Low beam only for that price. Brighter than stock high beams. This is on a '00 9-3. And their lights surpassed the car in front of them.
Old 29th December 2004
Super Moderator

Hmm, maybe I'll reconsider. Now if I can just come up w/ $300 to spend on headlights! Maybe after I close on my new house.... On the brightside, it does have a workshop and garage! I have neither right now!
Old 1st January 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 Viggen

Ok, took one pic after quickly washing the car today..Didn't remember I was supposed to take pics of the headlights but maybe you can see something from this pic..

I'll try to get close-ups on the headlights soon !

http://www.saab4fun.com/upload/uppladd/6486IMG_1739.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement