Turbocharging a 900s NA? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th September 2002

Join Date: Jul 2002                                                
Default Turbocharging a 900s NA?

Hi, I have a 1997 Saab 900s 2d, manual, non turbo 2.3L. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with turbocharging this car. What I was really thinking of doing was going to a junkyard and trying to strip a 900se of its turbo and parts. I was wondering if this would even work on my car, and what kind of work it would entail?? Does anyone have any information on this???

Thanks,
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th September 2002

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                

i dont know if ytou can turbocharge an NA, as i am also an NA owner looking for some fun. i know that a shop in denver claims they have 2 buckets full of dead saab turbos, but im not sure of dead means avalible or not working.
Old 14th October 2002

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                

It may be cheaper just to fit a whole viggen engine!...

Reason : Compression ratios are different between NA and Turbo charged cars.. Electronics and wiring are different - i.e. Boost control, knock sensors etc.. different exhaust manifolds. Of course the lack of a suitable turbo.., plus the lack of an intercooler (crossflow or any other type..) - plus the lack of the necessary water plumbing for the watercooling the turbo and intercooler.. plus the lack of oil lines to lubricate the turbo..etc. etc..

Really easier.. to change the whole lump.. for a turbo engine with all the necessary other bits and pieces...
Old 14th October 2002

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
Default too much work!!!

MarkA really hit it on the mark. . .buy a turbo charged car or add a complete engine. I hope you have deep pockets too. That or an excellent machine shop and lot of good friends. I wouldn't even want to add a Turbo engine to a NA car. The entire engine management system, fuel system, and on and on would need to be replaced. Unless you are builing a vehicle to race and plan to gut the vehicle anyway you are better off starting with a better platform to upgrade.
www.93viggen.com

Swedish Motors Inc.
Saab & Volvo Sales, Service, & Parts
Check us out at www.swedishmotors.com
Old 30th January 2003

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                

My mate made turbo out of non turbo 9000 OG. But had some problems (Intercooler explode). Now i think they are solved. Plus the car goes on LPG.
I think it is not worth doing it, because it requires too much time and knowledge.
Old 30th January 2003

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
Default Not much to do unless!!!!!!

Hello there, l walked the path you are walking couple weeks ago...

Nut much to do unles you are intending to race it (wich l am currently building a '95 900S 2.3 N/A.
here are your options

-Portind and planning cylinder heads= +/- 15 hp. $1100.00
-improving air intake = 3 hp $ 150.00
-engine managment system www.sdsefi.com = 20 hps $1200.00
-Manifold and exhaust system (custom made) 10 hps $ 900.00

and on and on... The HPS are ballpark figures...

The dollar$$$ pretty darn right on the bulleye!!! ops: You make the total. Much cheaper to sell your car + the above amount to get a turbo car with proven reliability (+ your cae will not be at it's limit... )

The only reason l went for a n/a car is that turbos are not allowed in the class l will be competing in....

Hope that helped.... In case you still want to upgrade your S.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement