Prevent Timing chain from completely going... - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > Saab 9000 Workshop
Saab 9000 Workshop Saab 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20-10-04

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
Default Prevent Timing chain from completely going...

I'm starting to get a tick tick from the timing chain [i think]. It only happens on cold starts and goes away by the time the engine is warm. You can't here it unless your outside and sometimes you even have to be specifically on the passenger [U.S] side of the car. If you lift the hood the engine noise will drown it out unless you stick your head right up to the engine the belt side of the engine.

Anyway to keep the timing chain from getting worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-04
Saab Mad

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2 9ks,white '87T &'96 Silver Aero 2.0

You could 1)not drive the car or 2)change the camshaft sprockets. I'm not sure that wouldn't accelerate the chain wear, but sometimes the sprockets are badly worn even before the chain is that bad. Only an inspection can tell that, though.
Old 20-10-04
Super Moderator

My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon
Default Re: Prevent Timing chain from completely going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Person
I'm starting to get a tick tick from the timing chain [i think]. It only happens on cold starts and goes away by the time the engine is warm.
This sounds [to me] more like a slow or lazy hydraulic lifter or hydraulic valve tappet, call it what you like it's the same thing, these can go 'tick-tick-tick-tick' for several minutes whilst cold, the important thing is that as the oil pressure builds fully within a couple of minutes it should stop.
Old 20-10-04
Saab Mad

My Saabs: 2 9ks,white '87T &'96 Silver Aero 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtopcav
Quote:
I'm starting to get a tick tick from the timing chain [i think]. It only happens on cold starts and goes away by the time the engine is warm.
This sounds [to me] more like a slow or lazy hydraulic lifter or hydraulic valve tappet, call it what you like it's the same thing, these can go 'tick-tick-tick-tick' for several minutes whilst cold, the important thing is that as the oil pressure builds fully within a couple of minutes it should stop.
I should have read the first post more closely... ops: I just read the subject and thought I understood the whole thing. Yes it does sound like the hydraulic tappets/lifters, if it eventually stops you're ok. If it doesn't, try to locate the faulty lifter to replace it (about $30 each IIRC)
Old 20-10-04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtopcav
Quote:
Well there is a much faster ticking noise coming from the Valve Cover [side note: valve cover gasket is leaking, so i'm replacing it as soon as I can get my hands on one]. I figured both the lifters and the chain were tapping.
Old 21-10-04

Update:

I just got back from a 15 min drive. Didn't even hit 3k rpms [it is raining and the streets are slick]. Ticking noise from the passenger side was there after I got to my destination and a rapid ticking was coming from the area approximetly around the valve cover. The noise seemed to be coming from the portion farthest from the front of the car [toward the throttle body an d cabin]. I had my oil changed 2500 miles ago.

What can I do to eliminate both?

Thanx for the help so far. MUCH appreciated.
Old 22-10-04

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

Does this engine have balance chains.

If it does, is there a slight vibration of the engine when idling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement