Gearbox malfunction - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th August 2004

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
Default Gearbox malfunction

Got the Gearbox Malfunction message on the SID today. Called the dealer and they said it needs a software update. Anyone else have this problem? Had the software update done for the shifting problem quite some time ago. I did notice that the shifting seemed smoother after the message appeared. Also noticed I could not feel the transmission down shift while slowing down, as normally I do.

2003 9-3 linear 13,000 problem free miles till now.
automatic steel grey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th August 2004

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                

I had that two weeks ago. I was driving to work and stopped by the dealer. They updated the software and the message went away.
Old 27th August 2004

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 ARC

I had the problem months ago. Dealer sis a software update and i havent had problems since.
Old 29th August 2006

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: Saab 93 2003 Vector Cabriolet automatic
Thumbs down Saab 93 Gear box malfunction

LIke you r previous correspondants I was repeatedly told by the UK dealer that the problem was software and on three occasions over 2 years from September 2003 my software was updated and the fault went away for a period. This June at 20,000 mile it returned this was again initially put down to software and it was "updated". The fault went for 30 miles, a speed input sensor was changed and the fault went for 600miles then returned. Now a output speed sensor has been changed and I am currently error message free and have a functioning gear box although it has always been 'notchy'. I am selling the car before its warrenty runs out and NOT replacing it with a Saab this will be the first none Saab I have bought in the last 5 cars. But I can not face any more of this.

Last edited by smcarroll; 29th August 2006 at 04:48 AM. Reason: typing errors
Old 15th December 2007

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: Saab 93 Vector 2003
Default Saab 93 Vector Gear Box malfunction

I had an incidient where i got a mesage stating " Gearbox malfunction, limited functionality contact service ". I then only had 2nd and 5th gear ( automatic car !). Brought it to the guy that usually services my car and he says that he belives it could be a default setting that is being caused in due to a prerssure gauge is not working correctly. Doesn't belive that thier is actually anything wrong with the gear box !!!!
Asked me to bring it to a Saab garage to get checked out further. Nightmare ! Has anyone had similar issue with theres.
I have had multi issue with the electronics which are probably too numberous to mention.

help !
Old 3rd January 2008

[QUOTE=Jackruby]I had an incidient where i got a mesage stating " Gearbox malfunction, limited functionality contact service ". I then only had 2nd and 5th gear ( automatic car !). Brought it to the guy that usually services my car and he says that he belives it could be a default setting that is being caused in due to a prerssure gauge is not working correctly. Doesn't belive that thier is actually anything wrong with the gear box !!!!
Asked me to bring it to a Saab garage to get checked out further. Nightmare ! Has anyone had similar issue with theres.
I have had multi issue with the electronics which are probably too numberous to mention.

help !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Juts got car back from saab garage. It was a sensor issue that they have replaced for the ripe sum of 600. Nightmare but happy to have the car back.
Old 16th February 2008

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Linear 2.0t

I got the message yesterday and it wouldn't let me shift from park to drive when I turned the car on. I turned the car off and on again and then before the message appeared, I put the car in drive. I drove for a while and it seemed fine. I parked and when I turned the car on again, I got the message again. I then went to get gas, filled it up, and when I turned the car back on, the message was gone. Is my Saab playing tricks on me?
Old 1st April 2008

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93 aero

Have Got Same Problem As Jack Ruby, How Did It Turn Out?
Old 9th April 2008

I brought the printed out thread of this email string into the Saab dealership to attempt to point them in the right direction. Thye refused top look at it and said that they were the experts and would determine the fault and the solution !!!!!

They did however fix it. They replaced a sensor for 600.
Problem gone for the time being. Saab would be probably better giving the cars away for free as they are making massive ****its from the maintaince alone

JR
Old 9th April 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector 2.0T

13k on an '03?

Wow.

Are you the original owner?
Old 10th April 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS 2.0t Vector, Steel Grey (OOW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcarroll
LIke you r previous correspondants I was repeatedly told by the UK dealer that the problem was software and on three occasions over 2 years from September 2003 my software was updated and the fault went away for a period. This June at 20,000 mile it returned this was again initially put down to software and it was "updated". The fault went for 30 miles, a speed input sensor was changed and the fault went for 600miles then returned. Now a output speed sensor has been changed and I am currently error message free and have a functioning gear box although it has always been 'notchy'. I am selling the car before its warrenty runs out and NOT replacing it with a Saab this will be the first none Saab I have bought in the last 5 cars. But I can not face any more of this.
Did they check for coolant contamination in the gearbox? Being an '03 it's possible that you are suffering from the infamous coolant leak from the radiator "quick coupling" seals into the transmission (the transmission cooler coil is mounted in the radiator side tank on the autos).

The coolant can cause the speed sensor reluctor rings to corrode which causes the initial problems (and as yours has had both input and output sensors replaced this seems feasible). Eventually the contamination causes the gearbox to die completely, meaning a new one!

Unlike the US, I'm pretty sure Saab UK did not do a service campaign on the quick couplings to replace all the affected ones FOC (mine's a manual...)

Also there have been similar auto complaints which were traced to a poor earth on the gearbox to car earthing strap. I'd say both are worth checking.
Old 10th April 2008
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBob
Unlike the US, I'm pretty sure Saab UK did not do a service campaign on the quick couplings to replace all the affected ones FOC (mine's a manual...)
general convo with service manager other day seals/fluid contam was mentioned

ICM3 13sp system now with bluetooth audio streaming..
Old 21st March 2009

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear

I just got the 'gearbox problem limited functionality contact your saab dealer' message!

Great info - I wish the thread was more up to date..
-I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow re: software update.

Otherwise, what sensor are we talking about exactly. I would prefer to buy the sensor and do the work myself.

Eagerly awaiting a response,
Englizter.
Old 21st March 2009

My Saabs: 2004 9-3 SS ARC 2.0
Exclamation

yeah englitzer, i agree it seems to be a regular occurence with us 03 -04 9-3 owners, i got my message a month ago, and have yet to determine where exactly the sensor is that needs to be replaced, if i knew where they were i could get to ordering them and replacing them my self anyone know the locations of these sensors that errode in the transmissions and cause the gear box malfunction message on SID ???
Old 22nd March 2009

My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear

Just a thought- My 03 liner did the "gearbox" message on me a couple of times right after I bought it- the dealer couldn't find anything wrong after I paid $200 to have the darn thing towed to them.. So the next time- I just disconnected the battery- waited 5 min, hooked it back up and no problems from then on.

Not the BEST way to handle it- but it worked. It has been about 40k miles from the last time it happened.

Old 22nd March 2009

My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear

Update:

I have been able to 'clear' the message, by pressing the 'clear' button on my console.

After doing this twice it appears that the message is permanently gone. My car suffers from bad shifting at times, and I will be adjusting my gear selection cable as per the Haynes manual to attempt to remedy the problem.

The day before the gearbox error registered, I did have a temporary ABS failure message on my dash. This lead me to investigate the braking system section of my Haynes, and found that the ABS speed sensors are located within the wheel hubs. Looking online I was able to find a speed sensor cable for about $65.00

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/replacement_sm/saab~abs_speed_sensor~replacement.html

Once the gear selection cable is adjusted, I will update this thread.
Old 23rd March 2009

thanks for the tip matt, unfortunately i have already tried that, as a matter a fact that was my first instinct, in order to reset the ecm. It did work to a certain degree the message is not there anymore, but the car still turns itself off on its own after 5-8 mins and then chimes three times. anyother thoughts ?
Old 23rd March 2009

So your saying that if the "gearbox malfunction" error pops up, and locks the gear box- after 5-8 min of Idling the car will shut itself off? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I'd call your dealership and see if they can look through your soft codes with their scan tools. It should log the code, reason for the error, and a snapshot of running conditions at the time.

If the dealership does not understand that, find another dealer. I'm not sure what causes the malfunction- mine did it seven or eight times, but hasn't done it in about a year.

I would check your trans fluid as mentioned above. Coolant in trans=bad.

Otherwise, keep doing the battery disconnect thing and hope it works- or tow it to the dealer during one of its hissy fits.

I'll see if I can get access to all-data this week and check for any TSB's on the error. Sorry I'm not more helpfull!

Old 23rd March 2009

exactly right matt, except the gear box does not lock up per se, it merely shuts the car off so that you can not drive. after it shuts off if you try to start the car it just cranks and cranks but does not turn over. Unless i do unhook the battery , but yet again it will just turn off after 5-8 mins. Also i did check the trans fluid and there is no sign of coolant (milky look) so that seems okay as of now. And No way man you have been a great help your actually responding !! thanks for checking all data for me i have been trying to resolve this issue for a month now its making me lose a little faith in saab but im hoping it turns out okay, because i LOVE the way it drives
Old 24th March 2009

Trans fluid should NOT be milky looking... It should be a clear, red or pink color. If it is cloudy- or "milky" you have water in your trans... at WORST it should have a slight brown tint (this is also bad, but a simple fluid change will fix it).

If you have water in the trans, it needs to go to the shop to find the leak and get a flush/fill asap.

Advertisement