Intake/Exhaust noise ? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th August 2004

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
Default Intake/Exhaust noise ?

Hey guys,

It's my first post YaY !

Anyway, I just purchased a 99 9-5 2.3T 5spd{traded in my 97 Eclipse GSX}.
My question is: If I upgrade to an ITG filter and Remus cat-back will the turbo whine and factory BOV become more noticeable?
I come from the world of DSM's so I love loud exhausts and BOV's.
And how loud is this setup ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th August 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

Hey..

I have the exact setup (well similar) you are referring to.

The remus exhaust was a little on th eloud side for me when I first installed it (tend to be on the conservative side and hate loud exhausts) but you mihgt like it.

I hear they get even louder if you put in the 3" race catalyst as well..

Turbo whine is also slightly more noticeable..

Don't excpect any performance increase unless you are also upgrading the ECU at the same time though.

The trionic 7 engine management system is designed not to give you any more power by changing exhaust/filters etc..

it WILL however provide you with more power if you also install the ECU.

Accordning to BSR (I have yet to dyno my car) I get 275hp / 331 lb-ft with my current setup which is enough to embarrase those stupid looking lime green ricers with underbody lights and stupidly large spoilers :P

--Matt
Old 18th August 2004

I dunno about the whole ecu thing.Just the thought of it freaks me out. I bought this car last week with only 40,000 miles on it and bought it with the intention of lasting atleast another 5 years. I had a Subaru that dies due to ecu related issues so I'm very weray of any ecu mods even though I know its the only shot of making this car quick.

Did you install the ecu upgrade yourself? Did a dealer install it ? Any kind of warranty ?

Thanks
Old 18th August 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Racing
I had a Subaru that dies due to ecu related issues so I'm very weray of any ecu mods even though I know its the only shot of making this car quick.

Did you install the ecu upgrade yourself? Did a dealer install it ? Any kind of warranty ?

Thanks
BSR sells a kit they call a PPC which plugs into the tech II diagnostic plug and updates the engine management software without having to replace the physical ECU unit, so it is easy to install.

http://www.bsrab.se

And their U.S. distributor

http://www.engstrom.net

I have heard no stories of engines failing due to any ECU upgrades on this forum.

A user who seems quite knowledgeable , DR Boost - however - has suggested that if you upgrade your ECU only without modifying your exhaust and intake you run the risk of overheating the turbine blades in your turbo, and causing damage.

Either way.. I have upgraded exhaust, ECU and air filter, and I have no real concerns.

You say you have the 2.3T.. Which engine do you mean? is this the HOT engine as found in the Aero, or is this the LPT engine as found in the 185hp base model?
Old 18th August 2004

I dunno I assume I have the base model.
How can I tell ?

What do you do about emissions and passing inspection with the PPC unit ?
Do you have to reprogram it to pass ?

I appreciate your explanation,but still I dunno. Its gonna take alot of thinking.
Old 18th August 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Racing
I dunno I assume I have the base model.
How can I tell ?

What do you do about emissions and passing inspection with the PPC unit ?
Do you have to reprogram it to pass ?

I appreciate your explanation,but still I dunno. Its gonna take alot of thinking.
Come to think of it. The Aero was not available in 99... The 2.3T would be a 170hp turbo.

According to BSR you can attain the following power levels:

Stage 1 (Air filter + PPC) 234hp / 378Nm
Stage 2 (Air filter, cat back, PPC) 239hp / 391Nm
Stage 3 (air filter, cat back, race cat, PPC) 265hp / 425Nm

These kits should be emissions legal.
Old 19th August 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Aero

The open intake element will provide the whoosh you seek during bypass valve operation. BOV's upset 9-5's and can throw CEL. There are a few things to consider when tuning your 9-5. The first thing I would suggest is to have the PCV modification performed and to make sure you have fresh sparkplugs. Secondly, ECU upgrades should not be feared although as mentioned, they will put more stress on internals. Better breathing mods such as intake and exhaust will help keep things happy. If you combine a stage 1 ECU with an open intake and a cat-back exhuast, you will have a very entertaining car with great sporty sound for not too much money.

Adding exhaust/intake without an ECU upgrade WILL provide you with more power. PEAK power MIGHT be held to stock levels (there are differing stories here) but MIDRANGE power, turbo spooling and throttle response will ALL IMPROVE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement