Exhaust Decisions - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th August 2002

Join Date: Jul 2002                                                
Default Exhaust Decisions

Well I have boiled the exhaust down to a few systems. If anyone has had any luck with these systems or know of a better one, or knows anything about them, please let me know.

First off at acceleratedresponse.com they have a 2.5" catback for $600.

chipcenter.cc has a 2.5" catback for 468

engstrom.net has 2 2.5" catbacks. They come with different mufflers and tips. The prices are 430 and 455. They also have a JT 3" complete exhaust that has a 3" downpipe as well as 3" throughout for 575 but does not include high flow cat.

Lastly saabperformanceparts.com has a germa made 2.5" catback system for 600. This is said to be stainless steel which I know is a bonus.

The others I know some are steel and chromesteel, something to that sort. If anyone has input, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th August 2002
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: I've had a few...

I would definetely go for the stainless steel option. You should never have to replace it ever again!
Old 13th August 2002

Default Exhaust

after a little more research. I noticed the exhaust from engstrom.net are stainless steel and chrome steel. How good is chrome steel against rust. I think it is just chromed to give it a nice finished look. How about aluminized steel. Does anyone know how that holds up?
Old 13th August 2002

Join Date: Jun 2002                                                

Well i know stainless steel is supposed to be the best and i would imagine chromesteel if it is just a shiny coating over stainless steel to make it look nice wouldn't be bad unless that coating started to come off which might look crappy. Do u have a turbo or non-turbo Saab? Cause i've been lookin at the saabperformanceparts.com one for my non-turbo saab and a lot of people said because i have non-turbo it might decrease HP but the company claims 7-11HP increase! Does anyone know whats right or wrong here?
Old 13th August 2002

Default Exhaust

I have a turbo. I mentioned the same thing to my dad about the people saying the NA saabs would lose HP when a free flow exhaust was put on their car, but he told me that it was not possible. I mean, I am sure some aspects of it may be true but he is a nuclear engineer and has built many cars in the past. He said the loss of back pressure would not really make a big notice in power loss, but efficiency would likely go up. Not saying he is correct and the others are wrong, but the only way I could see it losing power if the extra air being pulled through the exhaust would lean out the car some. I am guess this from building race jetski motors. I have no clue though to be honest. As for what I am going to do, I think I am going with the pure stainless. The chrome stainless I found out will start to pit, and it needs to be looked after. Now I have to decided between the saber performance exhaust which is said to increase hp from 7-12, while I found one other that increases 7. The 7 hp I can have put on locally from what I found out, and the local shop price is 380. Hell, I may buy it and install it myself to save myself $45 an hour in labor.
Old 13th August 2002

Thanks for the reply to my question. I also found it hard to believe that i would lose out on HP. I might buy that exhaust from saabperforamceparts.com but i should probably be saving my money for other things i need more. I think i might just go with a different muffler because i don't like the exhaust note of my saab. I like the way my engine sounds from inside the car but i think it sounds buzzy and coarse from outside the car. Any suggestions for a muffler?
Old 13th August 2002

Look at my previous post. There I outlined what I found for the new 900's. I have the prices for each one. I actually found the saber performance exhaust on a different site for $478. I am going to try and get that exhaust because they are the most reputable one I have come across. I did find also another explanation of whjy it would rob horse power on a NA car. I will try to find it again and let you read it so you can decide what to do. If you really just want tone from the car, do not replace the entire exhaust. Just get an aftermarket muffler, and you could get a saber muffler and apexi which I heard sond nice as well as one person said the borla sounded nice as well.
Old 14th August 2002

My Saabs: 1991 900 Carlsson and 1970 96 V4
Default Exhaust

It is not true that you loose power on non-turbo cars with a free-flow exhaust. This is only true on two-stroke engines that need the back pressure.
What is true is that you only get a marginal change in top end power, but of course you do get the wonderful exhaust note

Alec.
Old 21st August 2002
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1995 9000 Aero, 1991 C900 Convertible

Just been told that my back box is blowing (although I can't hear it myself - apparently they start to go inside??..) so I might be looking for a new one.

Did anyone in the UK get around to having anything fitted? How does it look/sound? More importantly, how much did it cost?

Mark P 8)
Old 23rd August 2002

Default Exhaust

Well I just had the major service and exhaust done on my car. I like the way it is now. It is quite inside the cabin, and when you jump on her, she lets out a nice powerful note. Nothing like the little rice burners running around these days. The sound is nice, not annoying. I know the turbo quiets mine down about for the NA cars I am sure you will be nothing more than happy. It cost me 580 installed.
Old 21st September 2002

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                
Default exhaust

which exhaust did you end up getting, and what is the power increase and gas mileage increase like?
Old 23rd September 2002

Default Exhaust

I got the saab swedish performance exhaust. HP, I can not tell you. I can say the car is a little bolder. The spool up and top end is quicker. As for gas mileage, I will let you know after I can through the current take. I did manage to get 27.8 mpg on my last trip which had an average speed of 83mph over 110 miles. I think that is damn good for those power settings.
Old 24th September 2002

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                

Anyone ever look at getting one of these?
http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/ca...tem&Page=1
Old 24th September 2002

Is the Swedish performance one the one from saabperformanceparts.com??? Is it obnoxiously loud or no?? Are you happy with it?
Old 24th September 2002

Default Exhaust

No, that is not the same exhaust. I forgot which website I first saw it on, but I also found it on a local saab dealers website and had them do the work. You can see it at
http://www.sandsautosales.com/ and look around till you find it. I am happy with the exhaust. Car is a little quicker overall and it seems to get to 110mph a lot quicker. The exhaust note is very nice and sounds powerful. Almost like a porshe exhaust. I am very happy.
Old 24th September 2002

I don't see that exhaust anywhere on teh website u mentioned! Is that exhaust only for a turbo Saab???
Old 24th September 2002

Default exhaust

Go to this link and click on the sport exhaust. You can also look at all the tips they have to offer.

http://www.sandsautosales.com/frames...ce/service.htm
Old 24th September 2002

I think that exhaust is just for a turbo isn't it???
Old 2nd November 2002

Does anyone has the Saber performance exhaust??? If so are u happy with it??? How noisy is it??? I want a more powerful tone wiht a new exhaust but not an obnoxiously noisy one.
Advertisement