2004 9-3 Convertible 150/7 Stereo Speaker Upgrade Questions - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th July 2004

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
Default 2004 9-3 Convertible 150/7 Stereo Speaker Upgrade Questions

Having read (and been a litte more than slightly overwhelmed by ) many of the Stereo speaker posts here (till my head began to hurt), I decided it was time to look at my car in detail. What I think I discovered is that the only *rear* speakers in the 9-3 Convertible (2004 - not sure if 2003 is the same) are on the side panels -- correct?

Nervously, (since I did not know where the tabs were) I succeeded in prying off the covers of the:
* left rear side panel speaker
* left front dash speaker
* center front dash speaker

I chickened out and failed to remove the cover of the left front door speaker, as it did not pop out as the others did. (I think this may have something to do with the fact that the others were all heated and somewhat softened by the sun -- what a beautiful day.) Anyway, I removed the left rear side panel speaker and the left front dash speakers which were the same (3.25 inch SAAB/Pioneer 4 Ohm speakers (marked: SAAB 12788054 / C3C30 / Pioneer TS-07054ZSA / XCN / WL). I did not see an easy way to extract the Center front dash speaker - no exposed screws other than those holding the SID display in place - so I do not know what it is.

So my questions are:

1) How do I remove the front door speaker cover panels without breaking anything?

1a) Are the front door speakers the same as the front dash and rear side panel speakers (this would be obvious if I knew the answer to question 1)

2) Is there any real improvement resulting from just replacing:
* side panel rear speakers (first priority to get some oomph from the rear)?
* front door speakers?
* front dash side speakers?
* front center speaker (and what is the stock speaker)?
I must admit I do not even know which of these are acting as tweeters, midrange, woofers and/or subwoofers. (this terriffic post -- http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27133 tells me that the front dash has a tweeter in addition to the speaker cited above -- ops: -- embarased to admit I did not see it when I had the cover off ops: )

3) What speakers would you audiophiles recommend that I use to replace:
* front door speakers?
* front center speaker?

thanks in advance! 8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th July 2004

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
Default Re: 2004 9-3 Convertible 150/7 Stereo Speaker Upgrade Questi

Quote:
Originally Posted by remise

2) Is there any real improvement resulting from just replacing:
* front door speakers?
* front center speaker (and what is the stock speaker)?
I must admit I do not even know which of these are acting as tweeters, midrange, woofers and/or subwoofers. (this terriffic post -- http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27133 tells me that the front dash has a tweeter in addition to the speaker cited above -- ops: -- embarased to admit I did not see it when I had the cover off ops: )
the only improvement from replacing any speakers in the 150W setup are better highs and slightly louder music; but no lows or base improvement. I would replace both dash(left;right..NOT center) with either Boston FX3s or Infinity refrence 3.5" speakers (what I have). I would NEVER touch the door speakers. After that upgrade the next best upgrade is an AMP to power either 2 6X9s or a subwofer.
Old 18th July 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                

Well the first thing I have to say is the door grilles don't pop off, trust me, I tried it, they will just break, I believe they are glued on.

The dash speakers may be a worthwile upgrade. The 6x9s would go behind the seats in the convertible.
Old 18th July 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

To access the door speakers, you need to remove the door panels. If this is unfamiliar territory, you should probably leave these be for a bit.

For my money, the King of vert upgrades is still kernith. At least he's the one who posted the most detailed info:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/vi...784&highlight=
Old 18th July 2004

Default Re: 2004 9-3 Convertible 150/7 Stereo Speaker Upgrade Questi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete28
the only improvement from replacing any speakers in the 150W setup are better highs and slightly louder music; but no lows or base improvement. I would replace both dash(left;right..NOT center) with either Boston FX3s or Infinity refrence 3.5" speakers (what I have). I would NEVER touch the door speakers. After that upgrade the next best upgrade is an AMP to power either 2 6X9s or a subwofer.
Pete28,

After my last post, I went back to my car and popped off the Left Front Dash speaker cover again and discovered that in my 2004 9-3 Arc Convertible with the 150/7 setup, there was NO tweeter present. I guess that makes some sense, depending on how you count the speakers:

* 3 = Left Center and Right Dash
* 2 = Left and Right Door Panel
* 2 = Left and Right Rear Panel
= 7 speakers

I never thought the tweeters might count as separate speakers in the dash.

Anyway... I bought a pair of Boston 3.5 inch FX3 replacement speakers for the Left and Right Dash and another pair to replace the rear panel Left and Right Speakers. Does anyone have any feedback about replacing the left and right rear panel speakers with Boston FX3s?

I have seen on other posts in this forum discussion of using another FX3 to replace the center 4 inch speaker in the dash. Upon removing the center speaker grill, it was not clear to me how that speaker is held in place (no screws were obvious to me. Therefore I am not sure how a 3.5 inch FX3 would be installed into this Center 4 inch opening (assuming I could figure out how to remove it).

And finally, I guess I am REALLY GLAD I decided not to try and pop off the door panel speaker grills -- THANKS CosmicSaab!!!

Thanks, everyone, for your info.
Old 19th July 2004

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                

in the sedan.. the rear and center speakers are 4" not 3.5". I don't think (do a search) that replacing the rear speakers is worthwhile. Trust me!! the rear speakers get like 1/2 the power as the fronts. I would say save your money and buy an amp to drive 2 6X9s or a sub.
Old 19th July 2004

Thanks for the update Pete28.

Last night's install notes:

I installed FX3 in the Left Front Dash -- without a hitch. Spent the next half hour trying to compare the sound quality of the left and right channels:

* Left Front Dash = Boston Acoustics FX3
* Right Front Dash - Stock Saab / Pioneer

Impressions:

* BA FX3 had more high & midrange sound
* Saab / Pioneer had more low end sound (bass) <-- not what I expected, but with somewhat less clarity (It was late at night and I did not go all the way up on volume)

Next, I installed (or tried to!) the matching FX3 in the right rear side panel. THe opening was large enough, but there was a lip on the lower edge of the opening which prevented the speaker from entering and sitting properly in the opening. No amount of maneuvering made any difference. If I decide to keep these speakers for the rear side panel, I will have to file down the lower edge of the speaker opening (It will be completely covered by the speaker grill). BTW - the lower edge lip makes it a pain to (re-)install the stock speaker also, but it DOES go in.

Spent the better part of the next hour with the FX3 speakers in Left Front Dash and Right Rear Side Panel.

With the Saab / Pioneer in Right Front Dash and FX3 in Right Rear Side Panel, it *seemed to me* that I could hear more of the Right rear than the Left Rear -- could be what I wanted to hear.

Since it did not really fit, I replaced the stock speaker in the Right Rear, and installed the FX3 in the Right Front Dash.

Conclusions:

* I am not sure if it makes any significant difference with the FX3s in L/R Front Dash -- I will listen on my way to work Monday and update further.

* The low power (read output volume) and the not quite fit of the FX3 in the rear opening, has me leaning towards returning the second pair of FX3s (just as you say Pete28!)

* The jury is still out on keeping the front dash FX3s - (I know everyone says they make a big difference - I wonder if the 2004 US Saab / Pioneer has different stock speakers --- they say 4 ohms on them, and I thought I read somewhere about people replacing 2 ohm speakers.

That's all for now.
Old 20th August 2013

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Convertible Linear
Default Boston Acoustics

These are still available. I found the SE35s first and bought them. I then found they had the S35s even cheaper. Oh well. The shipping was reasonable at $11, so the company is not one of those that shows a low price only to screw you on shipping (BTW, I refuse to do business with that type of company).

Boston Acoustics SE35s
$39.00

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...stics_S35.aspx

Boston Acoustics S35
$43.00

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...tics_SE35.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement