Cerma oil treatment/additive - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th October 2013

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 2.0T Arc 6spd BCB Stage 2
Default Cerma oil treatment/additive

Hey guys. So I was browsing around the internet and stumbled upon a product called 'Cerma'. Particularly found this video and found it interesting:
Although I found it odd that comments are disabled for the video. There are more user videos out there with some good results from ticking problems and such, although I have no such problems, just looking for added protection, especially with a tuned engine.
Edit: I noticed the Amsoil is the OE line, not the Platinum line.

I currently run Amsoil, and this could be a nice addition, since change intervals with Amsoil Platinum are 25K. The Cerma stuff is pricey:
http://www.cermastore.com/cart1/inde...oduct_id=29795

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this Cerma product?
BCB Stage 2 - SPEC Stage 2+ clutch - 18" Pontiac G6 GTP & 16" Saab spoke wheels - H&R Springs - Bilstein HD suspension - Eibach 15mm/25mm spacers - BSR Optiflow SRI - A'PEXi Twin Chamber BPV - GenuineSaab Short Shift Kit w/solid bushings - Aeroforce Interceptor - Thule/Saab Roof Rack - 08+ Ice Tail Lights - 0 RWHP - 2,302 FWHP

Last edited by cfdp; 27th October 2013 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th October 2013

Join Date: Jul 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero V6 AWD

IMO (having used Amsoil and other synthetic oils since 1977) you are well off with the excellent synthetic you use and better off without screwing up its chemistry with additives.

Your oil is not really rated X miles for all cars in all conditions. First, Amsoil does not have a "Platinum" motor oil, although Pennzoil does. Second, here's what the website says:

***begin quote***
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline-fueled vehicles as follows:
  • Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
  • Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
  • In all non-gasoline-fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval. *OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer
(1) Engines operating under modified conditions (non-stock) are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.
(2) Mechanically sound engines are in good working condition and do not, for example, leak or consume excessive amounts of oil, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not leak antifreeze and have properly working emissions control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to the installation of AMSOIL synthetic oils.
(3) Personal vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16 km) at a time and not operating under severe service.
(4) Turbo/supercharged engines, commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive idling, vehicles with more than 100,000 miles without prior continuous use of AMSOIL motor oil, daily short-trip driving less than 10 miles (16 km), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty condition driving.
***end quote***

The two most important words in the mileage statements are "up to". Depending on service conditions, engine condition and other factors, your mileage between changes may be much less. The only way to know is to have oil analysis done at certain intervals. And note that they also limit change intervals to one year.

It all depends...on your car, its condition, your driving, weather, dust, load and other factors.

My advice: forget oil additives. Change your synthetic oil and high quality filter at reasonable intervals based on the driving conditions. I am conservative and depending on the car, I may change Mobil 1 or Amsoil and filter at 5K intervals, or change filters at 5K intervals and oil at 10K intervals. I dont' see the point in going much beyond 10K intervals, although in my wife's 2009 BMW, the system is set tor emind the driver to change oil at 15K intervals. Without doing oil analysis I wouldn't THINK of running 25K miles between oil changes. (And BTW, I've been an Amsoil lifetime dealer for 30 years.)

Last edited by Pilgrim; 28th October 2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 28th October 2013

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 2.0T Arc 6spd BCB Stage 2

Thanks Pilgrim for your knowledge!

I run the Sig Series (not Platinum, must have seen/heard too many Penzoil commercials). It looked promising when I first seen it, but I think it may be more for engines with issues perhaps. I will stick w/ just the Amsoil.

So since I'm TC and modified, you suggest earlier intervals? (Filter changed mid-way as directed). I'm close to my 25K mark and might have the analysis done.
BCB Stage 2 - SPEC Stage 2+ clutch - 18" Pontiac G6 GTP & 16" Saab spoke wheels - H&R Springs - Bilstein HD suspension - Eibach 15mm/25mm spacers - BSR Optiflow SRI - A'PEXi Twin Chamber BPV - GenuineSaab Short Shift Kit w/solid bushings - Aeroforce Interceptor - Thule/Saab Roof Rack - 08+ Ice Tail Lights - 0 RWHP - 2,302 FWHP
Old 29th October 2013

Join Date: Jul 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero V6 AWD

On a turbo engine, I have long had two firm rules:

1) Run ONLY synthetic oil. Its superior qualities including resistance to viscosity breakdown and less coking under high temperatures make this an absolute must IMO.

2) Change oil and filters often. About 5K miles is as far as I want to go on oil and a filter in a turbo car, even with synthetic oil.

Semi truckers sometimes run synthetic oil for highly extended intervals up to 100K miles, but they are doing grosly extended highway driving with minimal start/stop events. That's ideal for extended oil life. They also have regular oil tests done.

Really, unless you're curious about the chemical analysis of the oil and want to interpret it, I suggest that the cost and trouble of doing oil analyses is probably not really worth it. Just change oil and filter about every 5K miles, you'll be perfectly safe and your engine will be well kept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement