custom grill - saab wing removed, painted and meshed - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24-05-04
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 stg2, 9-5 Aerowagon stg3+, c900T cvt
Default custom grill - saab wing removed, painted and meshed

Thought I would share this, as it is the fruits of my laboring most of this past weekend, and I am pleased with the results. 8)

I had an extra grill that I painted black, and the inner grid portion in silver for contrast. It chipped, I didn't prep and primer it properly, so I set out to repaint it this weekend...

Then I got a great idea, so I used a rotary tool to remove the Saab "wing" bar in the center of the grill for a more aggressive/sporty custom look. 8) This is to accent my Maptun upgrade which hopefully will be coming soon!

so after stripping the old paint, then I sanded the chrome, scuffed it up really good. I repaired the areas where the center wing/bar was joined to the grill by using plumbers epoxy and sanding it, then used filler primer, sanded some more and then used a few coats of sandable auto primer. Then I painted a few coats with glossy black laquer automobile paint, and followed with several coats of laquer clear coat.

I took the plastic "grid" backing piece and also used a rotary tool to remove the grid, so it would have 3 openings to match the front part. (keeping in mind I plan to fill these areas with mesh) I primered and painted with glossy black to darken up this plastic piece which now seemed dark grey compared to the freshly painted front part!

Then I cut some great bright silver mesh to fit between the two pieces, put the little rubber strip back on and reassembled. I am very pleased with the result, hopefully my paint job will hold up better this time around!

Here is a link to my page with several higher resolution pics of the end result: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/389044/4

it is at the bottom of the page, and on the same page you can also see my previous (read: failed ops: ) attempt at the black grill with silver "grid"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-05-04

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

Jeebus. Thats looks very very sweet. Was it difficult?
Old 24-05-04
Saab Lunatic

it wasn't terribly hard. just takes some time as there is lots of prep work involved, and lots of sanding, and lots of painting and drying time between coats. if you are patient, it's not very tough to do at all, it just requirs patience and being slow and careful more than skill.... I bought a Dremel tool this saturday and even though I never used one before, late sunday night I had a great custom grill... 8)

the plumbers epoxy is key to fixing areas where you might have imperfections from cutting. It is like putty or clay, but hardens within 20 minutes...really hard- somewhere between steel and plastic... neat stuff. then you can sand it smooth and primer and paint right over it.
Old 24-05-04
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 2.0T Aero - Vtuner stage 0

Personally I'm not a fan of the grill with the 'wing' removed' the front has lost it's SAABness IMHO but if it makes you happy then that's your choice. Each to their own I suppose.
Old 24-05-04

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

Indeed, I agree. It's not my particular cup of tea, but it does look especially well done.

How could you take Saab badge away.... really!
Old 25-05-04
Saab Lunatic

Well, like you said, it is a matter of opinion, and I like it, so that's what counts. I just want it to look a bit more sporty, but rest assured, there are no giant wings in the works.

As far as removing the Saab badge, it is not terribly different than debadging the silver emblems on the rear or the sides! And it is still every bit a Saab! Just because the wing is missing, doesn't make it any less a Saab-- it sure boosts just the same! Hey I wonder how do you feel about things like the new 9-2x or 9-7x?

I still have my Saab roundel on front and rear, and I have my original chrome grill (with wing) ops: if I want to switch back to stock look. (which I may do from time to time, probably in winter so the paint won't get scratched up!)

I find it amusing that some people go out of their way to comment that they don't like something (like turk's eyelids, gina's chrome wheels- people came out in droves to let her know how terrible they thought it was), when what I am used to is just the opposite. most folks I know "don't say anything unless they have something nice to say". If no one commented or only one person said they liked it, I would have still have gotten the idea that people were not into that style....
Old 25-05-04
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
I find it amusing that some people go out of their way to comment that they don't like something
Human nature I'm afraid people are always quick to criticise but slow to praise in general.

BTW what I meant in my original comment was that the shape of the front grill has been one one of the features that has been carried through most of the Saab range over time and it is not the removal of the Saab badge that makes it lose some of its SAABness. It is all personal preference and if it floats your boat then go with it. 8)

No offence intended
Old 25-05-04
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munki
Quote:
I find it amusing that some people go out of their way to comment that they don't like something
BTW what I meant in my original comment was that the shape of the front grill has been one one of the features that has been carried through most of the Saab range over time and it is not the removal of the Saab badge that makes it lose some of its SAABness.

No offence intended
no offence taken. :wink:

I agree that the wing is very recognizable, I read someplace that the Saab grill ranked right up with BMW as being one of if not THE the most easily recognized grill in the automotive industry.... It is for that reason I debated for weeks whether or not to cut the wing, and finally chose to do so on a spare grill, so I still can go back to winged look later...

But exactly what you suggest the wing is usually there to do- immediate recognition - is partly why I chose to remove it... Rather than looking at the front and immediately knowing it is a Saab, perhaps it will cause people to fix their gaze a bit longer...

Also the purpose here is to hint at the fact that there is something "different" about this Saab, it has a more sporting intention... (maptun upgrade). I thought it would be more subtle than putting a giant MAPTUN sticker across the windshield, you know? :wink: 8)

anyways, you're right, to each his own!
Old 25-05-04
Banned

Hey, I personally think this grill is something i would love to do if i had an extra grill(just in case of a mess up)

I think the car scene is pretty much a copying world. They see something on a car, then they want it.
For you to do something to your car that no one really has done to there's is a plus in my book. Why try to go the typical route, why not make your car stand out a little bit more then someone elses. Why try to please others with your ideas.

I give that mod 2 thumbs up
Old 25-05-04
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
I thought it would be more subtle than putting a giant MAPTUN sticker across the windshield, you know? :wink: 8)
ROFLMAO...good point well made!
Old 25-05-04

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i really like it, an dit seems like a lot of big saab tuners do too. If you look at just about any picture of a modded saab, you will see a grill with something done to it. It seems that this exact mod is quite common on nearly all swedish owned tuned saabs. So on that note, i again really like this.

Brian
Old 27-05-04
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-7X 5.3i

I want to simply paint a grille black without changing the grille otherwise ...

I was following you, right up to the point of removing the wing ... it just changes it too much IMHO ...

However, you did do a fantastic job on it!
Old 31-05-04
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 97 900 SE turbo

love it love it love it
Old 01-06-04
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Past: 2001 9-3
Default E-Bay Grilles...

You guys know they sell the chrome grilles at E-bay for $20.00. You could practice all you want with no big worries. I like that the Saab grille snaps in and out in 10 seconds.

There is a new paint on the market that is a colored chrome metal coating.
Old 01-06-04
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                

those aren't chrome grilles, they r chrome strips to put on the grille... read carefully guys
Old 02-06-04
Saab Lunatic

yeah, I almost bought one until I clicked on the auction and read the description. gotta be careful and read EVERYTHING. on some items people show pictures and in tiny print it says " this is not the actual item for sale, just to illustrate what it might look like" or some nonsense...

a grill goes for 40-120 dollars on average on ebay in the USA. depends on the condition... maybe better luck at a junkyard/breaker, but many here want 100 or more!!!!!
Old 02-06-04
Saab Lunatic

Default Re: E-Bay Grilles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS
You guys know they sell the chrome grilles at E-bay for $20.00. You could practice all you want with no big worries. I like that the Saab grille snaps in and out in 10 seconds.

There is a new paint on the market that is a colored chrome metal coating.
yeah, I've seen that. I also found some "pearl effects" spray paint at the local Wal-Mart. They only had white/cream/traditional pearl at the time, but If they get black pearl, I may combine that with some black laquer or gunmetal laquer paint and maybe I will make a custom "black pearl" grill, seeing as the official Saab ones are on backorder FOREVER, are EXPENSIVE, and prone to PEELING. They sure do look sweet on black cars, though!
Old 02-06-04
Super Moderator

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SC, 2013 Volvo C70

Add another I LIKE IT vote.
Although it reminds me a tiny bit of a Subaru grill, it still looks cool and very unigue. Good work!
Old 02-06-04
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Past: 2001 9-3
Default Youre right...

they are just inserts. I stand corrected. Didn't open the link since not in the market for a grille and just saw "Saab Chrome Grille".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement