She stumbles... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th May 2004

Join Date: May 2004                                                
Default She stumbles...

Not without a little help from folks on this site, only a few days back I replaced the headgasket on my old '86 8v Saab 900 and have now driven her about 350 miles. All's fine, back to if not better than what it was before the head gasket blew, except for one thing: now again, while cruising at 50+MPH, she stumbles (or hiccup might be another way to put it) a few times over a few seconds before settling down again.

This has happened about six times in all now, and seems to occur mostly when driving uphill. Yesterday morning I cleaned the carburretor and gave it a new distributor hoping it might make a difference, but it did it again (just once)after about 50 miles of driving. Don't have a clue what to do or look for now. Any tips would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                
My Saabs: sold

:idea Carbon deposits breaking up,or water in the tank? Try some carb cleaner in the tank .Pat
Old 20th May 2004

Er... Do you mean carbon deposits breaking up in the combustion chamber? Would that cause such "stumble"? When I had the head out I cleaned the chambers' pistons with brake/clutch cleaner. I hope this wasn't a bad idea. Could that be why the carbon on the pistons is now breaking up? And if so, would it cause damage? And will the problem clear by itself?

By the way, did about 30 miles today and she behaved perfectly. Just purred. So...

Many thanks.
Old 20th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                
My Saabs: sold

It should just clear up by itself if my theory is correct.I still would use a bottle of cleaner to soften things up.I personaly never clean the pistons ,if it's running right it will clean itself.As far as carbon damaging the valves or fouling a plug,I wouldn't worry about it . .Pat
Old 20th May 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                

Sounds like something loose and electrical to me.

Try checking for loose connections on the coil, distributor and ignition amp.
Old 21st May 2004

Many thanks for the suggestions. Will get that cleaning done and check all those connections as well...
Did another 50 or so miles today and, once again, no sign of stumbling from the old girl. Who knows? At least it's beginning to look like I did an alright job of the head gasket replacement. Phew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement