Wheel Wobble 40-60 mph - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th July 2013

Join Date: Apr 2013                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 93 Se
Exclamation Wheel Wobble 40-60 mph

Hi everyone I have a 99' 93 se and last week when upon getting an alignment which was very much needed for quite some time. noticed that afterward my car was able to go past 60 mph now but not without the car shaking pretty rough at/from 40 -60mph, its actually after 65 mph that it will pretty much calm down, until I decide to slow down(basically letting go of gas or braking) in which case if the car was at a smooth cruise just makes the car shake rougher.Basically I dont want to hurt her anymore than I probably already am.Really need to pin point it due to my daily commute on the highway.Can someone give me a lead to go off of please? Thanks in advanced by the way when I mean the shaking I mean vibration on the car (mostly driver side) and of course steering wheel shake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th July 2013

Join Date: Nov 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 SE Convertible

I've got a similar issue - http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267009
I won't say that this is the same as yours, but if you have someone to put it in gear and shift from reverse to drive with you watching the engine, you might find it's the rear mount.
I'm not sure that is what is wrong with mine, but the engine jumps a couple inches when shifted into reverse from park and a couple more when shifted into drive from reverse. The rear mount looks like it is just moving on a rod - doesn't look like it's really doing anything.
I ordered a cheap one off Ebay and will report later this week - I hope that's it. If not, it was just $45 and I know what it's not.

Last edited by Aladinbama; 30th July 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 31st July 2013

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen

I have the same problem with my Viggen. Spent $500 dollars on it trying to figure out what it is and eventually gave up. :[
Old 1st August 2013

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3

I'd check to see if the stanchion arm and control arm bushings are shot, check the ball joints, and check the motor mounts. Likely one of those 3. My wobble was worse under acceleration and braking, was smooth when cruising, and the control/stanch bushings fixed it.
Old 1st August 2013

Do you guys thinks it might be the rear of the car the still needs aligning or something?Still in the dark woth this one but Im going to have someone put it in gear and see if the motor jumps any, definatley worth a shot. Also the fact that Its really only at those intervals of speed makes it very hard for me to test the whats wrong.Truth is the car was sitting for a while during alot of storms before I bought it so it definatly makes sense soemstuff might be going buthe car is relativley young ( only about 125k on the motor) so it kind of doesnt make sense. If anyone has any other suggestions to just find out the cause it would be awesome. Also what would worn control arm bushings look like? Just rusted pieces or cracking? Any idea would be good. Im just not in a position to be throwing money at the car at the moment I dont think itd be axles tho I dont get clicking noises just straight wobble/hardvibration momentarily. Hope yall have found solutions to ur saabs this has go me dissappointed.
Old 1st August 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

Did you have the tires/wheels balanced; could the tires be flat spotted?
Old 1st August 2013

FWIW, there are only 74+/- K on mine. The part is supposed to come tomorrow and if it does I'll try and tackle it this weekend. I'll keep you posted.
Mine wobbled under acceleration and smoothed out as acceleration peaked (as you were taking your foot off the gas). Any speeding up caused it. At about 60-65 and above it would mellow somewhat, but still "jiggled".
Old 1st August 2013

Let me know how it all goes if possible Aladin I just read your post and it seems very similar.I did try putting it in gear and seeing if the motor jumped but I dont narrow it down to the mount(s). Im starting to think maybe control arm bushings Or the ball joints mentioned earlier could be the culprit, the ball joints being a bit more of what Im leaning more towards only because the bit of rubber surrounding the small ball joint is sort of smooshed, kind of like the grease is gone from it BUT it ist greasy around it nor does it have tears or punctures.I also checked what Ims thought and I cant say It is the balancing either, nor the tires I just got new ones before the alignment. Ill keep looking under the car and posting. Let me know if all goes well guys .Id like to know the solution to this it feels unsafe .
Old 1st August 2013
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900SE 2.5L V-6 Convertible

I had this sometime back...thought o-boy...gonna spend some money and knicles on suspension parts. Someone said rotate the tires and see what happens. I did and it moved to the rear. Had a bent rim which caused a "hot spot" on the tire, which weakened and on the road it would bulge. Changed the rim and the tire...less (and easier) than rebuilding suspension parts.
Old 1st August 2013

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9.3 viggen

I had a similar issue some months ago. After I changed the rim & got new tires it went away. In my case I think the rim might have been bent in the center. Why dont you exchange your suspect wheel for the donut & see what happens. If not much difference, put the donut on the other side. Maybe you got nailed by a pothole, or curbed the car too much.
Old 3rd August 2013

Well, the part came yesterday and I changed it out today. My guess is that 90% of the issues I had are gone and with an exchange of the side mounts the rest probably will be as well. This car only has 77K on it and I have never changed an engine mount on anything before now - some of my cars have gone over 300K. None the less when you see the picture you will see why I'm probably going to change out he side mounts before looking elsewhere for the other 10% - the remaining is only there under acceleration and a bit under decceleration as well - smooths out when engine isn't pulling or pushing. BTW, the car has "clunked" into reverse and had a slight wobble for 9 months and 11K miles - the entire time we've owned it.
It was much easier than I thought it would be. I jacked up the car, took the left front tire off and supported the car on a jackstand with the frame just in front of where the A-Frame mounts. Took off the three bolts (2 on bottom were 17mm and the top I used a 5/8 as I didn't have a 16mm). I took the floor jack and put a piece of wood on top and positioned it under the piece the top mount attached to and jacked up everything just far enough to remove the mount (nothing popped or cracked - Thankfully). I had to add some more height to get the new mount in, tightened the lower bolts to line up the top bolt and lowered the engine back down onto the mount. Tightened all three bolts to torque specs (top one sclose anyway). Put the wheel back on, jacked the car up to remove the stand and lowered everything back down. Again, 90% of the wobble is gone and the rest I will assume are the side engine mounts (??). It also doesn't clunk into gear anymore.
None the less, here is a picture of the mount as it appeared after I reassembled it;

and here is the problem; (it did look like it was supposed to before I started to take it out)

As you see the part is in complete failure. I will check the side mounts later as I've gotten everything back together and don't feel like messing with it again today. My guess is that this mount was partially broken for the entire time we've owned the car and just broke apart during that last trip when the "horrible" (my daughter even refered to it as a death wobble once) wobble began. I guess I was lucky we made it home.
Old 3rd August 2013

Are all of the mounts identical Aladin? The thing is I havent had jerk from the engine when putting it in gear and moving but for some reason I really think the mounts may be an issue just telling from the fact that yours has a good amount of mileage less than mine. Im going to rotate the tires today as soon as I can and if no cigar finding this Im going to have to look into the tire/rim and see if bent. Dont really know what else to do before I commit jnto just spending the money at this point. Aladin if u fix the others somehow or if it goes away at any pint from something else keep me updated if you could. I dont think my mounts are as shot but they could still very well be possibility becuase our problems only differ very slightly. Als if I find what wrong Ill throw out any of my suggestions as Igo. Thanks again .
Old 3rd August 2013

I'd appreciate that Milo.
The other two mounts are more traditional type mounts. They almost look like a C strap with "stuff" in the middle that bolts to the Frame (I think). I haven't inspected them yet or even seen one anywhere else but Ebay. I may attack it tomorrow - there's a test you can do (according to the manual), and if I need to change them I want to get the parts ordered (again, off Ebay).
There is a transmission mount (left side) and a motor mount (right side) and other than orientation, they both look the same. The cheaper ones are about $25 each +/- on Ebay.
Old 11th August 2013

Well, I changed the transmission/engine mount today (driver's side) and apparently someone had already done that. It had an aftermarket (really hefty) mount that looked pretty good. Well, with me thinking new would be better than used, I changed it anyway - I'll be changing it back to the old one tomorrow - it actually was more stable with less wobbles. Anyway, I think I found our issues and for me, it's a no way, You have to go back a few years, but I found this which should be helpful - http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=211393
I'm hoping to get half what I have into it back out, so there will be no more fixing for me - Sorry Saab guys! Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement