This will upset some of you!! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th May 2004

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero
Default This will upset some of you!!

Just got the latest copy of Top gear Magazine which has a supliment of 'The 50 worst cars of all time'.

2nd worst car of all time beaten only by the Suzuki x-90 is................................................ ....................The Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertable.

It says 'Like some untamed Norse beast, the 225bhp Viggen is likely to dislocate your shoulder in it's eagerness to nail 258lb ft of torque to the tarmac through its front wheels. Add the kick in the back from the turbocharger and you're slithering all the way to the osteopath's. The suffering is compounded by near-solid suspension, sending ridiculous shakes and shudders into a body structure with the rigidity of a jellyfish'

Not to glowing really. Anyway I'm just letting you all know what was written and these are not my views as I haven't driven one so please don't shoot the messenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Bang your dead. Not the first time I have heard such comments about the Viggen. But in the same breath a lot of people would say some of those were highly desirable attributes in a car. I don't pay much attention to car journo's.
Old 9th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 91 T16S, 97 CSE 2.3T Anni, 94 MX-5 1.8
Garage

Sssh! The more reviews like this the better, prices will drop, I'll be able to afford one, and then I'll be laughing!
Old 9th May 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 SS Aero TTiD + 9-3 SV Aero

that 'cus its not a german or italian built super car

what do they know about cars any way

boxman :wink:
Old 9th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Saab's own engeneers have said the new platform use in the SS and SC is "in a whole other galaxy." The new convertible (starting at only $39,995 US dollars) is 300% stiffer than the old one!

That said, if it really is the second worse car ever then I'm missing something. It was a perfectly decent car, if not the best available. IMO cars like any early Hyundai are what should be on that list, unless they are trying to pick something for every category, in which case, there were better alternatives in the premium convertible segment.
Old 9th May 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1984 T8

The funniest part is that their comments make the car REALLY appealing to me!
Old 9th May 2004

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetman
The funniest part is that their comments make the car REALLY appealing to me!
Ditto reads like it's good fun, rather than just another eurobox.
Old 9th May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by E715
Saab's own engeneers have said the new platform use in the SS and SC is "in a whole other galaxy." The new convertible (starting at only $39,995 US dollars) is 300% stiffer than the old one!
300% stiffer than a really floppy thing then
Old 9th May 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtopcav
Quote:
300% stiffer than a really floppy thing then
haha No matter what you do, a convertible is going to be more floppy than its sedan/coupe/hatchback counterpart..

As I understand it Saab more or less pioneered the four seat convertible segment, but didnt keep up with the likes of BMW/Audi and whatnot that copied them in as much as stiffening them goes until the new 93ss.

Personally, the only reason I don't run out and buy a 93-ss right now is that I think the styling has gone a bit overboard. It kinda screams "look at me, I'm an attention whore" where as previos saabs just looked good, nice with tasteful restraint.
Old 9th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlach
haha No matter what you do, a convertible is going to be more floppy than its sedan/coupe/hatchback counterpart..

As I understand it Saab more or less pioneered the four seat convertible segment, but didnt keep up with the likes of BMW/Audi and whatnot that copied them in as much as stiffening them goes until the new 93ss.

Personally, the only reason I don't run out and buy a 93-ss right now is that I think the styling has gone a bit overboard. It kinda screams "look at me, I'm an attention ***" where as previos saabs just looked good, nice with tasteful restraint.
I always thought the old ones were more attention getting than the new ones.

This is attention getting in a screaming sort of way?

Looks tasteful and subtly hints at the actual performance to me.
Old 9th May 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
This is attention getting in a screaming sort of way?
Looks tasteful and subtly hints at the actual performance to me.
You know.. That one actually doenst look that bad. Either I thought they looked more like boy racers in real life, or it has something to do with the fact that both the 93's I see regularly are in screaming colors.

My neighbor has a bright red one, and someone a couple of blocks down the street has a bright yellow one.

(which brigns me back to the point that Rhode Island must be the per capita Saab capital of the U.S. They are EVERYWHERE.)
Old 9th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
Location: Scotland - in, A Red 92 T16S De'cat 3"JT system, Hot APC, 9K FMIC, Whaletail, Carly Aero's, Spax'ed.

Yup... go t to agree about the Viggen vert. The 9-3 vert was very flexi but with a Viggen powerplant its got to flex more
Add to that the Viggen Torque steer in a FWD platform (something clarkson would consider appalling ) and you can see why comments like this happen

Ive got to agree though.... It reads extremely well,,,, Sounds like a right beast of a ride 8)

I was just having a conversation today about the lack of feedback in cars. Prompted by the removal of all the gadgets from F1 cars.
I used to drive a 9-3 , but now Im back in a c900. The difference is immense. The feedback, road noise and bumps in the road make you feel like your really motoring and in control of the machinery... Never got that in the 9-3 ... did get the odd shock though when entering a corner too fast.

New cars glide like spaceships in comparison to a c900... So why do I love every second of my t16 ?....

I think the ViggenVert was sending too much information to the top gear drivers. beasty beasty 8)
Old 10th May 2004
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2002                                                

I had a Viggen Vert for a few days as a courtesy car and I have to say that most of those remarks are true. That isn't to say it's not a huge amount of fun but in unsuspecting hands it could be lethal. I've never experienced torgue steer quite like it and the dashboard shakes quite a lot. Still it was a lovely car and a great pose...certainly not worthy of any list if worst cars ever.
Old 22nd June 2004

I think Sparky summed the car up very well indeed.

Isn't all the flaws that keeps a guy interested anyway? or are aspiring to Borg like perfection [which of course means total homogenisation]
Old 22nd June 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
Location: '95 CSE 2.3T - Golf MkI conv. - a pair of C900's in boxes

They aren't perfect, because this one time LaForge and Data implanted a eternal loop virus in one of the cubes resulting in the explosion of the cube, and this other time a group of Borgs broke free under the command of Lore (Data's evil brother), and then this other time Data managed to kill the (or one of the) Queen but not Picard, because he was waay to busy hanging himself up there, and then there was this other time when using nutational shields the Enterprise outran a Borg ship in the solar corona, then fired a fotontorpedo so the Borg ship exploded.
And then there was this thing with species 8472, whom they obviously couldn't handle.
Not to mention they never succeeded in succesfully contaminating the Omega-molecule, or that the nanoprobes lost from Seven's immune system.

*snap* WHAT the hell just happened!?
Old 22nd June 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 3dr c900 T16RA, 9-5 Aero Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
I was just having a conversation today about the lack of feedback in cars. Prompted by the removal of all the gadgets from F1 cars.
I used to drive a 9-3 , but now Im back in a c900. The difference is immense. The feedback, road noise and bumps in the road make you feel like your really motoring and in control of the machinery... Never got that in the 9-3 ... did get the odd shock though when entering a corner too fast.
Last week I spent a couple of days driving a 99EMS, and the amount of feedback through the steering wheel and brakes was fantastic, better even than my T16S. The car was fun to drive at fairly slow speeds (max practical was around 75mph) and certainly had no trouble keeping up with modern cars except on the motorways.
Old 22nd June 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver
They aren't perfect, because this one time LaForge and Data implanted a eternal loop virus in one of the cubes resulting in the explosion of the cube, ...

*snap* WHAT the hell just happened!?

Another ST:TNG fan. Excellent. We'll need to start a favorite episode thread.

Should rival the Rush thread for polarizing the group.
Old 22nd June 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric
Another ST:TNG fan. Excellent. We'll need to start a favorite episode thread.

Should rival the Rush thread for polarizing the group.
I had long feared that my ST:TNG days would come back to haunt me. Now, they apparently have.
Old 22nd June 2004

[quote="Oliver"]They aren't perfect...

....Not to mention they never succeeded in succesfully contaminating the Omega-molecule, or that the nanoprobes lost from Seven's immune system.

[quote]Perfection? ahhh, Seven of Nine. nuff said.
Old 22nd June 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: gone: '01 9-5 2.3t, 1997 900 SE turbo

Raggy, has the news traveled across the pond about Jeri "Seven o' Nine" Ryan's messy divorce paperwork? She claims in her custody fight paperwork that her husband, who is now running for U.S. Senate, took her to places like New Orleans and Paris for "romantic getaways" only to take her to sex clubs and try and force her to "perform" with him in public!

Whoa! That's sick!

Of course, if anyone has tapes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement