A Kick A** detailing site . . . - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th May 2004

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
Default A Kick A** detailing site . . .

I've been around this forum about 3 mos since I bought my Saabs. I've asked and had answered a bunch of detailing questions here from fellow Saabists. My son emailed me a link to this site last night as he was thinking about buying a Cyclo polisher or maybe a Porter Cable one. I've never seen this site referenced here: Autopia.com. I looked around Autotopia's site and was amazed at the amount of detailing info in their threads, many comments are directly from the detailing pros themselves. Check it out and let me know what you think.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php?s=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th May 2004
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1986 900 8v - R.I.P.

too much japanese and rice. i feel infected.
Old 6th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900S 2.3L

not too bad a site. learned how to remove those spots of wax that have gotten onto plastic pieces, AND I followed the rules of posting.......I searched first, and found my answer. Great! Use 3M Ahesive, Tar and Wax Remover. <--wrote that so I can come right back to the post to remind me of what the name of the stuff is.
Old 6th May 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

Jesus...

These kids spend A LOT of time washing/waxing their cars.

Do they not have lives?

I take my car to a high pressure brushless carwash once in a blue moon...

Apart from that, Rain = carwash for me :P
Old 6th May 2004

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

It has been accossionally muted about having a detailing section with the SC forums, i think that now we know the whereabouts of that site it's the place to go for such detailing tips.
Old 9th May 2004
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2002                                                

People who know me know I like my car all clean and shiny!
Just had a look on that site and the bettercarcare site. They are fantastic with excellent 'how to's' and tips. Thanks for sharing the link Pstone!

I just hope it doesn't get out of hand
Old 9th May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B
People who know me know I like my car all clean and shiny!
Just had a look on that site and the bettercarcare site. They are fantastic with excellent 'how to's' and tips. Thanks for sharing the link Pstone!

I just hope it doesn't get out of hand
Check out the "Learn" icon at the top of their home page. I think a link also takes you to Mcguiar's home page. At this site the CEO gives some free educational videos. How to remove swirl marks etc. These are great and also a time saver. I've always used many of their products anyway but these videos are great marketing tools for them. Taught me a lot in the last few days alone, as I prepare to embark on the "perfect" detail job on my 2 cars.
I actually use 1.Klasse (all in one)cleaner polish 2. Klasse Sealant Glaze and lastly 3. P21s Wax. I picked up in these products in these Saab threads. They are some of the more popular products talked about at the detailing site. I learned it's all about how you prepare the surface, such as clay barring first and machine polishing the Klasse AIO cleaner polish by orbital or hand. I'm going to use a rotary polisher with some light cutting products first as there are many small scratches on my cars since I bought them off leases.
here is a link: http://www.meguiars.com/clinics/clinics_template.cfm
Old 10th May 2004
SaabNut!

Up until now I have been an Autoglym and 3M person I have never seen Klasse products in the UK but after looking at those sites I am tempted to try the Meguiar products. These and Klasse seem to be the preferred choice. Had a look in our UK major motor factors today, Halfords, but they don't stock Klasse or Meguiars, so will have to search some more.

Oh the joys of owning a black car!!!!

I've cut my car a few times now but I use 3M Finesse It which is very delicate and works brilliantly on black cars, much like I am sure AIO. Anything harsher would create swirls. I am currently going through the process of applying 2-3 coats of Autoglym super resin polish but need a decent sealant/wax.

Have you tried Meguiars NXT, I think that is a finishing sealant/wax which seemed to get mentioned a few times in the forum on Autopia? Am after that deep wet shine finish.

Cheers

Dave
Old 10th May 2004
SaabNut!

Well good and bad news. Loads of Meguiars stockists in the UK but Google didn't bring anything up for Klasse.

Ordered a sample sachet of NXT Tech wax so will let you know how I get on with it.
Old 10th May 2004

Default NXT highly rated by the sites users . . .

Many like the NXT. We have it in stores where I am. But I ordered the P21s online last month and the stuff is the best. No more brown/white residual on the black trim or going over the cars cracks with a toothbrush. It's $25 a jar but goes really far. Try this over whatever you use for the final coat. Its Carnuba and beeswax.
Old 10th May 2004
SaabNut!

Who makes P21S? Is it Klasse? Don't think we can get it in the UK. Just registered on Autopia so will hopefully get more advice and tips.

Up until now I have finished with AG Extra Gloss protection which I have been pleased with, but understand that my polishing process has not included a wax, just a cut then polish then sealant so am looking at NXT wax to fill that gap.
Old 10th May 2004

Default P21s . . . You can just serch on web for it . . .

I just bought a rotary polisher (porter cable 7428) on autogeek.com website. They also sell P21s along with Meg products, Klasse and just about everyone elses lines. check out their site. they may ship to England. You might also try a BMW or Harley dealership some harley shops carry S100 which I'm told here is the same stuff only for $10 a jar. If not just do a search and ask the site if they ship to England. Klasse is from Germany. The jar says P21s is made in connecticut,U.S.
Old 10th May 2004

Default Perfect shine routine

Dave . . . I found this a few minutes ago. It's the final steps I'm trying to emulate. My rotary won't be here until weeks end but come next week I'll be using this 6 step process after I prepare the surface.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=28
Old 10th May 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                
My Saabs: 92' C900S Convertible 60K

WOW That sight is awesome !!!!!!!!!

And at a time when I am really getting into my detailing.

Thanks, Pstone

"Saabs Ride On" 8)
Old 11th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: none

I mad the mistake of accidently using the cloth I was using to wax the war with on the plastic black parts and viola, I have a waxy whilte residue which I need to get rid of on my car. Damn...anyway, I will be looking through their forum posts to see how I can remove it and make the panels look black again.

Paul
Old 11th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 3dr c900 T16RA, 9-5 Aero Estate

P21S is available from Serious Performance.

The Step 1 and 2 Meguiars products are also very highly regarded, with the Step 3 (Wax) being replaced with either the Meguiars Gold Class wax or with products from other suppliers such as Swissol or Zymol.
Old 11th May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunp
I mad the mistake of accidently using the cloth I was using to wax the war with on the plastic black parts and viola, I have a waxy whilte residue which I need to get rid of on my car. Damn...anyway, I will be looking through their forum posts to see how I can remove it and make the panels look black again.

Paul
This stuff is the best for removing the white residual off plastic parts. It's called "autoglym bumper care" Wipe on it's gone. Another poster here when I had the same ? said peanut butter also works and restores the black back. But buy a bottle of this stuff. Here is a link: http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/ag-16325.html
But you can do a search for it also. Or see if one of this sites sponsers carries it and will ship to Canada.

Another suggestion is buy a jar of P21s wax. Leaves NO white residual on car or plastic. One jar goes a long way. I've read here that Harley dealers sell the same stuff for $10 but its called P100. Stuffs a dream, amazing DEEP shine when done if you prepare the surface correctly. Comes off with ease. Its Pure Carnuba and beeswax.
Old 11th May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92-Vert
WOW That sight is awesome !!!!!!!!!

And at a time when I am really getting into my detailing.

Thanks, Pstone

"Saabs Ride On" 8)
Hey 92-vert I like your avatar. Amazingly bright color!
I just finished reading a how to for an orbital buffer which are the safest for non-pro's. My son just bought a Porter-Cable 7424 for $109 at Lowes. This machine is very popular at the detailing site. Here is the link to the how to use an orbital: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...ing/forum.php?
postid=1430487&page=1

Actually I'm detailing my 2 mos old 2001 9-5 so I can sell it and buy a Saab vert. I'm going to detail the finish on this baby so deep that I'll have to hold the buyer back from trying to jump into the hoods reflection as they will think it's a placid early morning pond. It's dark blue.
Well that's the plan, anyway
Old 11th May 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                
My Saabs: 92' C900S Convertible 60K

Pstone,
I must say it is punched up a bit.The color is dark blue. But we all have an idea of what out Saabs look like and this is mine. I do truely love my Saab convertible it is without a dought one of my greatest pleasures in life. To me there is nothing like getting into it on a warm spring day putting the top down and openning it up on some lonely strech of road. But isn't that in some way why we all love our Saabs.

Here is the full size Avatar I thought jou might like to see it. Richard

Saabs Ride On" 8)
Old 13th May 2004
SaabNut!

Aarrghh This is doing my head in. For the past two days I have been wracking my brain over which wax to go with. How stupid!!! Anyway I'm going to trust your judgement Pstone (and that of the Bettercarcare link) and I have decided to go with P21S

If I can't find it in town then I will order from SP, thanks for the site link Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement