Which car? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th May 2004

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
Default Which car?

OK, so I wrecked my '85 8v (195,000 miles) last Saturday and it is all scratched up and mildly dented. More importantly, the front subframe is bent down about half an inch where it connects to the right lower control arm, throwing the toe off about an inch.

Meanwhile, I have found a 1991 900 turbo (150,000 miles) that seems to be in good to excellent condition, listed for just over $2000. We are having it checked by a mechanic tomorrow.

Assuming all goes well with the mechanic's check on the 1991, do you guys think I would be better off buying the '91, stripping down the 8v and sending it to the junkyard, and taking the loss on all the work and money I've put into the 8v? Or should I repair (yet again) my 8v n/a and forget about the turbo? Both cars have 5-speed transmissions. I have been driving 25,000 miles a year, and intend to begin driving only about 15,000 miles a year, as I am off to college soon

Financially, I don't know what it would take to restore the 8v, but I would assume at least $500 in frame work.

The thing I'm really struggling with is a feeling that I'd be abandoning the 8v, because, admittedly, it has served me well. Should I just let it go?

Also, what would be reasonable prices to expect to get on the following parts:

91-93 manual transmission, professionally rebuilt 30,000 miles ago

Pre- 1988 Shelby wheels in fair/good condition w/center caps

Nearly new headlining, not including C-pillars

Any advice is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th May 2004

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                

My vote? Fix the '85. You don't need a turbo in college, and (it sounds like) the 85 has a lot of your work into it.
Old 5th May 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900SE

I'd get the 91, personally...Saab and N/A don't get along in my world
Old 5th May 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: '83 T8 4dr.

Sorry to hear you wrecked your car, but don't feel bad about abandoning it. Atleast you'd be getting another Saab. How about transfering some parts off it to the 91 to commemerate it? If you have the space, parting out the wrecked one could be profitable, or keep some stuff for spares. (tranny)

Take away the emational attachment and it's no contest. (Assuming the 91 is in decent shape)
Old 5th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                
My Saabs: sold

Hi,Sorry about the loss of a friend. I personally would prefer to find a 86- preface lift so the parts were the same.I like the flat front and also the Shelby wheels would fit.The newer ones are real nice too.If you go that way,part the 85 out :wink: .So us old style can drive on!If it weren't for used parts my beloved 84t would have gone to the bone yard .Parts doners save lives! Pat

edit;How about a 99?
Old 5th May 2004
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                
My Saabs: 92' C900S Convertible 60K

85 900s
Sorry to hear about the injury to your faithful companion. Although when I had to say good-bye to my old friend of 12 years it did nearly break my heart. She was two years younger then yours. But when my Saab doctor gave me the bad news and the cost of the operation that she needed it just wasn't in the cards for us. So I had to say goodbye but must say that she went to a good home with someone who could care for her on his own and would put her right. Than came faze two of my Saab adventure I than found my present friend a 92' 900s Convertible. And really I couldn't be happier. But I do from time to time think of my old friend and wonder how she is and where she might be, because she was my first after all, Saab that is. We all have to say good-bye sometimes but that can be a good thing too. I love my 92’ 900s vert more that loved 87’ 900 8v is that wrong?

“Saabs Ride On”8)
Old 5th May 2004
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: '94 Aero, '95 Aero

"if you can't beee with the one you love.......love the one your with......"
hmmmmmmmmm... did c.s.n.& y. drive saabs?

allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement