Abbott steering brace - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th April 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Aero
Default Abbott steering brace

Has anyone installed this on a pre-02 Aero? I have been looking at it for a year now and I have not heard of a single person installing this mod. On a side note, will the Koni suspension kit change the ride height of the Aero? At 47k with minor rear hopping, it's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th April 2004
Administrator

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: I've had a few...

I don't know anyone who has installed one either. It would be interesting to know the results.

Yes the Koni suspension kit will lower the Aero further by approximately 20mm
Old 26th April 2004
Saab Lunatic

Thanks Simon. You would think someone has to have done this. It seems to be a fairly expensive piece to develop and fabricate. Would they spend the money if the demand was not there? This type of mod is very common on 9-3's.
Old 27th April 2004

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero, C900XS, C900T16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
I think this info is based on the assumption that an Aero is supposed to be 10mm lower than a standard, and the Koni kit is supposed to be 30mm lower than a standard.

I have an Aero and I bought a Koni kit. The Koni dampers are not gas pressured (much?) and so fitting the dampers alone DOES alter the ride height. I found on doing this with the standard springs, the front was 6mm lower and the rear was 13mm lower.
Comparing the springs after accurately measuring both original and Koni kit springs, the front Koni springs are substantially stiffer whereas the rear Koni springs are softer than standard. The results of damper change, spring rate change and spring size change combine to give me an Aero which sits 18mm lower at the rear and 8mm HIGHER at the front.
But my Aero (along with all the others I have measurements on) sits about 20mm below SAAB spec. anyway??
Old 21st June 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
I think this info is based on the assumption that an Aero is supposed to be 10mm lower than a standard, and the Koni kit is supposed to be 30mm lower than a standard.

I have an Aero and I bought a Koni kit. The Koni dampers are not gas pressured (much?) and so fitting the dampers alone DOES alter the ride height. I found on doing this with the standard springs, the front was 6mm lower and the rear was 13mm lower.
Comparing the springs after accurately measuring both original and Koni kit springs, the front Koni springs are substantially stiffer whereas the rear Koni springs are softer than standard. The results of damper change, spring rate change and spring size change combine to give me an Aero which sits 18mm lower at the rear and 8mm HIGHER at the front.
But my Aero (along with all the others I have measurements on) sits about 20mm below SAAB spec. anyway??

Thats very confusing....

if we disregard the pure hights for a moment... how does it handle with the new springs/dampers?
Old 24th August 2004
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY05 9-5 Aero Wagon

XAAMOTTOMAAX,

I found your post as I was looking for the same question of Abbott brace. It seems like you didn't get any answer on this thread. Did you find an experience later or have you applied it yourself? If not, do you plan to do it?

Tufan
Old 24th August 2004
Saab Lunatic

Tufan,

I ended up getting a 2003 Aero and never did the steering brace on the 2000. If the brace brings the 2000/2001 models handling up to 2002/2003/2004 specs, then it is well worth it because the difference in handling between the 2000 and 2003 is significantly better in favor of the 2003.
Old 24th August 2004
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY05 9-5 Aero Wagon

Well, I'm glad for you, enjoy your new model. On the other hand as I will be enjoying mine for another 2 years, I will think about some improvements in parallel with some power upgrades that you are already aware of.

So anyone here that has applied the Abbott steering brace since April?
Old 24th August 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Aerolines
So anyone here that has applied the Abbott steering brace since April?
I'd be interested to know as well..

I just don't have enough spare cash around to spend it in an experiment to find out if they are worthwhile...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement