Faults/Codes with Engine Controller Upgrades? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th April 2004

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
Default Faults/Codes with Engine Controller Upgrades?

I would like to start a post here with folks that have either a BSR or Hirsch upgrade to indicate if they have had any codes set and/or SID indications occur.

I might be wrong but I believe I have read that some folks have seen a tracking control (Electronic Stability Control) SID warning with the BSR upgrade. Is this true? Others?

This is not to get paranoia but rather what could be expected in having a upgrade applied to a vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th April 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
Default Re: Faults/Codes with Engine Controller Upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando67
I would like to start a post here with folks that have either a BSR or Hirsch upgrade to indicate if they have had any codes set and/or SID indications occur.

I might be wrong but I believe I have read that some folks have seen a tracking control (Electronic Stability Control) SID warning with the BSR upgrade. Is this true? Others?

This is not to get paranoia but rather what could be expected in having a upgrade applied to a vehicle.
The stability control warning only comes on when the PPC upgrade is being uploaded. It doesn't come on after that.
Old 2nd May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Here is the weird part though. I was told that its normal for the traction control and stability control to flip while tuning or un-tuning, BUT i noticed something weird. The last time i tuned, the stability control and the traction both failed. Two days ago i had to take the car in, so i un-tuned and ONLY the traction control failed. Why didnt the stability control fail too?

I dont like it how something decides to fail whenever it wishes to !!!

Good one rando, i hope everyone chips in this one!
Old 2nd May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Well they're not really "failing". Only the warning signals aare being tripped. I would expect tuning in the BSR setting may produce different responses to tuning the stock settings back in. Maybe not though.
Old 2nd May 2004

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                
Default Faults / codes

I have my ECU updated from Hirsch. Ones with step one and twise with step 2. I got first edition step 2 and last edition step 2. No problems what so ever.No wrongs signals or problems with TSC or something else.
The car feels like a more than 3,0 L suction engine. Powerfull and smooth on the same time.
Old 2nd May 2004
Vendor

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: -

As Saba states nothing is failing. The reprogramming of the ECU causes the various sensors on the car to throw temporary error messages because they are not receiving the signals they are expecting and that is it, there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

It is just the nature of doing the upgrade with the ECU in situ and while the ignition is turned on.....
Old 2nd May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Default Re: Faults / codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
I have my ECU updated from Hirsch. Ones with step one and twise with step 2. I got first edition step 2 and last edition step 2. No problems what so ever.No wrongs signals or problems with TSC or something else.
The car feels like a more than 3,0 L suction engine. Powerfull and smooth on the same time.
I would say even the Hirsch upgrade would trip signals whilst loading, but you don't see that because of the nature of the upgrade. I have NO problems with my PPC. It works better than I expected.
Old 3rd May 2004

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba
I would say even the Hirsch upgrade would trip signals whilst loading, but you don't see that because of the nature of the upgrade. I have NO problems with my PPC. It works better than I expected.
I don't remember seeing any failure warnings when Hirsch upgraded my car. They used a laptop plugged into the OBD-II diagnostic port.
Old 3rd May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba
I don't remember seeing any failure warnings when Hirsch upgraded my car. They used a laptop plugged into the OBD-II diagnostic port.
Ok I stand corrected ops:
Old 3rd May 2004

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                

Saba,
What you mean better than expected ?
Old 3rd May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
Saba,
What you mean better than expected ?
Well I expected not to get the full 29 hp, 45 Nm gain as quoted by BSR. My dyno results confirmed that I got exactly that (at the wheels). I was expecting that gain at the crank. The turbo rush is much more pronounced than expected. Pull in 4th gear is outstanding, didn't expect that. Extremely happy with what I got.
Old 5th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Here is the weird part though. I was told that its normal for the traction control and stability control to flip while tuning or un-tuning, BUT i noticed something weird. The last time i tuned, the stability control and the traction both failed. Two days ago i had to take the car in, so i un-tuned and ONLY the traction control failed. Why didnt the stability control fail too?

I dont like it how something decides to fail whenever it wishes to !!!

Good one rando, i hope everyone chips in this one!
I am really tempted to get the PPC loaded in my 9-3, but given these "hiccups" in the ESP warning light, just worried that eventually something more permanent may happen to the engine. Yes, I know, the extra 30 hp and 30 lb/ft torque is tempting... but... just wish BSR will work out these bugs...
Old 5th May 2004
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav238
I am really tempted to get the PPC loaded in my 9-3, but given these "hiccups" in the ESP warning light, just worried that eventually something more permanent may happen to the engine. Yes, I know, the extra 30 hp and 30 lb/ft torque is tempting... but... just wish BSR will work out these bugs...
these are not bugs.

It is perfectly normal behaviour, as the ECU is being upgraded the various onboard sensors are being confused and throwing errors. As soon as the upgrade is complete all is back to normal. How many times does this need explaining :-??
Old 5th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Well then howcome the person on this forum who witnessed Hirsch upgrading his ECU didnt see any "throwing" of codes around? On top of all that, i see it reasonable for someone to be worried over and over again as the fact of the ECU flipping is not that normal! The FACT that the ECU is giving these notices means that something is not normal. First time i installed the PPC, i did not recieve any faults. I uninstalled it and again, no faults. Then when i re-installed it, i recieved stability and traction faliure, and when i un-installed, only traction failure. I dont see this as normal! What? The ECU gives failure notices whenever the **** it feels like? I dont think thats normal!

EDIT: If there is an explanation of WHY the ECU sometimes gives failure notcies and other times it doesnt, then yes, maybe its normal!
Old 5th May 2004

When I started this thread I was just inquiring about 'codes' when in execution and not when uploading/downloading. And right now I can't say for sure if there are or aren't 'codes' after the PPC has been loaded (actual running in the car with PPC). As in a response as "yes, I have experienced 'codes' during operation with the BSR/Hirsch."

Just as a related question ... say I revert to the last software that was in the vehicle previous to the PPC, go to the dealer, and they upload a new version of software. Then reload the PPC software. Will the PPC store the newer software that the dealership provided? Just curious? Maybe this is a question for BSR.
Old 5th May 2004
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Well then howcome the person on this forum who witnessed Hirsch upgrading his ECU didnt see any "throwing" of codes around? On top of all that, i see it reasonable for someone to be worried over and over again as the fact of the ECU flipping is not that normal! The FACT that the ECU is giving these notices means that something is not normal. First time i installed the PPC, i did not recieve any faults. I uninstalled it and again, no faults. Then when i re-installed it, i recieved stability and traction faliure, and when i un-installed, only traction failure. I dont see this as normal! What? The ECU gives failure notices whenever the *** it feels like? I dont think thats normal!

EDIT: If there is an explanation of WHY the ECU sometimes gives failure notcies and other times it doesnt, then yes, maybe its normal!
I have twice in this thread stated what I have been told personally by BSR, the explanation seems perfectly logical and reasonable to me.

You should remember that 1) You are not getting any failures only warning messages, nothing has actually failed. 2) These error messages only appear during upload of the software 3) Everything is fine once the upload is complete.

If you are still not happy with the explanation then perhaps you should take this up with BSR.
Old 5th May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
1) You are not getting any failures only warning messages, nothing has actually failed. 2) These error messages only appear during upload of the software 3) Everything is fine once the upload is complete.

If you are still not happy with the explanation then perhaps you should take this up with BSR.
Cool - that is what I wanted to hear. I just thought there were some folks that had it otherwise.
Old 5th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Not about being not happy with it, but more like not the explanation i was looking for. Perhaps you misunderstood what explanation i was looking for! Anyways, its alright! No problem!
Old 5th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Error codes I have observed.

Uploading BSR settings

"Traction Control Failure " lasts for about 2 seconds
"Stability Control Failure " chimes and lasts for about 3 seconds.
"Traction Control Failure " lasts until end of update. Clears itself automatically.

Uploading Stock settings

"Stability Control Failure " lasts for about 2 seconds
"Traction Control Failure " chimes and lasts for about 3 seconds.
"Stability Control Failure " lasts until end of update. Clears itself automatically.

Driving

None, I have driven over 5000 km with it installed.

I have done this a few times now and the messages have been repeated. Its not random, they occur in sequence and are obviuosly a response to the upload process.

Hirsh probably doesn't have the messages because they obviously have the T8 algorithm and are able to adjust settings that avoid the trips.

BSR had to crack the T8 setting.

Its no big deal. Jeez I reckon more warning messages appear on the SID caused by bugs in Saab designs than in the BSR design.
Old 5th May 2004
Saab Lunatic

Saba, do they clear by themselves or you have to clear them. Cause when these things happen to me, i have to turn off the car, take out the key for everything to re-set and then its gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement