Saab Radio Code - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th April 2004

Join Date: Apr 2004                                                
Default Saab Radio Code

I am the proud owner of a 1996 Saab 900 SE, black outside, black inside, leather heated seats, turbo, moonroof, it is my second Saab but I am only 23. My first was a 1984 900, powder blue, with cloth seats. Anyhow my new(er) Saab is giving me radio troubles. I know my radio code is 4 numbers and I know what those four numbers are, but when I put in the code when it says code in, the code doesn't work. And it goes to 4 lines, vertical, then I have to push BAND until Code In appears again, but then I repeat this process to no avail. Help! How do I reset the radio, do I pull the Radio Diagnostics, and or Radio fuses? Will this help? My mechanic said to leave the car running for 1 hour to reset the radio, I tried. It failed. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

peace,
justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th April 2004

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

If you disconnect the battery, the radio will reset. There is probably an even easier way that someone will post. I've never heard of running it for an hour to reset. I almost started laughing when I read that.
Old 12th April 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900S 2.3L

yeah, leaving it running to reset sounds fishy. if I take a 5 hr road trip would that reset it 5 times? If you pull the radio fuse while the engine is running and put it back in, that should bring the "code in" screen back up. You sure you do have the right code?
Old 13th April 2004
Saabista

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SC, 2013 Volvo C70

If you enter the wrong code x (4?) number of times the radio locks itself out. After one hour you can try again, whether the car has been on or not. After the one hour interval you get ONE chance to do it right or it locks up again for one more hour.
The manual specifically tells you how to input the code and you need to follow those directions to the letter. I thought I had a post here that explained it in great detail but I've searched and searched and cannot find it.
Old 13th April 2004
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 2.0T Aero - Vtuner stage 0

If the code is entered incorrectly 3 times then you have to wait an hour, with the radio turned on, you will then get 1 chance to enter the correct code. Get it wrong and you have to wait another hour before you can try again.

I would check with the dealership that you have the correct code. They will be able to tell you if you give them the VIN.
Old 13th April 2004
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: 97 900 SE turbo

Like Munki said, once it gets mad at your for using the wrong code, you get locked out and must wait 1 hour WITH THE CAR AND RADIO ON (at least the ignition on, engine doesn't need to run) before you can try again. Audi does the same thing.
Old 13th April 2004

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                

For what it's worth the dealer told me that if I drive the car in they could yank the radio and look up the code for me. As long as I drove the car in they probably won't need the title or other stuff that they need for a key duplication.

They said if I walked in with the radio they might get suspicious and ask for more paperwork.

-meld
Old 14th April 2004
Saabista

Mine gave me the code on the phone, although I had been there with my car before, but still. And telling you they need to remove the radio is pure garbage. They are just telling you that so you bring it in and they know it's actually yours, I'll bet. Being overly cautious, I guess.
Old 14th April 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 SS Aero TTiD + 9-3 SV Aero

they might need the seriel number of the radio my stealership did on a 9k radio

boxman :wink:
Old 14th April 2004
Saabista

It's tied to the vin, boxy.
Apples and Oranges, mate.
Old 14th April 2004
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 SS Aero TTiD + 9-3 SV Aero

apples and apples my friend the 9k radio is also tied to the vin no,i guess the stealership was just covering there back 'case the radio had been swopped.

boxman :wink:
Old 14th April 2004

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                

Well I'm having a similar problem with mine after the battery got disconnected and the alternator and starter got replaced. The code is written on the back of the radio and when i enter the code it just sits there with the code 3433 and nothing. I cant even turn the radio off and when I start the car again its stays on with the code showing. Any ideas? other than taking it to the dealer. I've even tried holding the BAND button and nothing happens either.
Old 8th January 2007

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo
Unhappy same radio code problem

i am also the proud owner of a saab 900, 1997. I'm having the same problem, i just recently bought my saab and had to take it to the dealer for the radio code, which they gave me, however they couldn't get it to work and said to take it home and let it sit with the ignition in the on position for an hour and then enter the code. i did and it did not work. i tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and it still did not work, always comes back with four horizontal lines. the saab people told me this means there is something wrong with the radio itself and will have to be repaired or replaced. i am taking it back for them to look at this coming week. i appreciate any suggestions from anyone for what else i could try in the meantime. and i will also update you on what i find out from saab this week if i don't get it fixed first.
Old 8th January 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900SE Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg7
i tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and it still did not work, always comes back with four horizontal lines.
As mentioned above, disconnecting the battery will not have any effect on the anti-theft lock. Once the radio is in lockout, you get one try to enter the code per hour, in the sequence described in the Saab Owner's manual. Wrong code or anything else, the lockout timer resets for another hour. See link.

Radio Anti-Theft Lock
Old 8th January 2007

[/QUOTE] Once the radio is in lockout, you get one try to enter the code per hour, in the sequence described in the Saab Owner's manual. Wrong code or anything else, the lockout timer resets for another hour. See link.

Radio Anti-Theft Lock[/QUOTE]

I followed that sequence, as I stated, after going to the dealer. left the radio on for one hour and then entered the code the dealer gave me. does this mean the only explanation is that the radio is broken? does taking the radio fuse out while the engine is on work as mentioned above?

thanks for the info!

Last edited by nutmeg7; 8th January 2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 8th January 2007
Saab Lunatic

You can only enter the code when the disply shows "CODE IN".

When in lockout, you have to follow the instructions fairly closely, and I think (although I am not certain because it has been some time since mine went into lockout), that you have to press BAND before CODE IN appears. If you start pushing buttons before the radio is ready to accept the code, the only result is that the one hour timer starts over again (done that myself).

There are two fuses, but pulling them out may not have any more effect than turning the radio and ignition off. Usually the problem you describe is because something was not done in the right order.

aekeia has a different problem from yours. He writes that the alternator AND the starter were replaced. Since it is essentially impossible for both to fail at the same time on their own (the probability is about zero), something pretty bad must have happened to the electrical system in that car.
Old 8th January 2007

Thank you. I'll try again, though i'm pretty sure i followed the instructions right. I turned my car on, turned the radio on, and left it for an hour, and then punched the code in. now, i don't remember if i held down band (which it does require) when i first turned it on or if i held it down after the hour was up right before i entered the code again. would that make a difference?
Old 8th January 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg7
would that make a difference?
I would think so, yes.
Old 8th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMI
I would think so, yes.
if it makes a difference, then which way should i do it? press band at the beginning of the hour or at the end?
Old 8th January 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900 SE Turbo

I had this drive me nuts for a while until i figured out what i did wrong. Here is the easy to make it work

1. Turn on the car, turn on the radio it should say "Code In" (If it does not say code in hold down "band" until it does)
2. Do NOTHING ! do not enter any code, do NOT shut off the radio
3. Shut off the car
4. return at least 1 hr later and start the car, put in your code and it will work.

This is part of the lock out feature, but this is the part where you leave the radio on for 1 hour with the car off.

For the record, get a new mechanic. you should NEVER leave a car running for 1 hr without driving it, you will damage the engine because it is not getting the proper air flow to cool itself down. He is on the right track, however you can leave the radio "on" with the car shut off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement