Small Problem With My First Car - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th March 2013

Join Date: Mar 2013                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900s
Default Small Problem With My First Car

Hello everyone,
I saved up my money all summer and just purchased my first car, which I love; a 1997 900s. The car has the n/a 2.3 with the five speed manual. My 900 has just a bit over 119000 miles and runs quite well. My only problem is that the defroster won't blow air correctly. Whenever I need the defroster; very little, if any air comes from the vents. The heat works fine and all other vents are fully functional besides the ones on the dash. This is creating quite a vision problem for me. I'm pretty handy and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to fix this problem.
Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: .

Do you have manual heater controls? Sounds like it's not diverting the air properly. If it's a manual climate control with knob sliders, one of the cables might of come loose, not sure if possible on these, but maybe something fell into a vent (kid jamming pencil in a vent and falls through duct blocking air door diverter) maybe one of the diverter doors is broken?

Electronic climate control is vacuum controlled I believe.
Old 4th March 2013

Ok, yes my car has manual controls. Sounds like the next step would be to take off the dash and get a look inside of the vents?
Old 4th March 2013
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 93 SE convertible 2001

With manual control, I suspect it's something inside, not the knob problem, as for the air distribution knob, there're no cables, but direct control of the knob to the inside valve. I think it's the problem with the inside valve, which is fixable when taken out. However, not a small job to take the valve out.
Old 5th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900 2.3 Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevroletc20 View Post
Hello everyone,
I saved up my money all summer and just purchased my first car, which I love; a 1997 900s. The car has the n/a 2.3 with the five speed manual. My 900 has just a bit over 119000 miles and runs quite well. My only problem is that the defroster won't blow air correctly. Whenever I need the defroster; very little, if any air comes from the vents. The heat works fine and all other vents are fully functional besides the ones on the dash. This is creating quite a vision problem for me. I'm pretty handy and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to fix this problem.
Thanks so much!!
Does the airflow vary at all when you turn the distribution knob? Do you feel any resistance or hear something moving when you turn the knob (with the engine off so it's silent)?

My guess is that either the diverter is seized somewhere in the vent/floor position, or the "toilet roll holder" that connects the knob to the diverter control has broken. Of course the former could lead to the latter. The tests above could tell us what's going on.

I believe that some people have basically forced the diverter to floor/defrost position for the winter. However it's better to fix this.

If you are ambitious, you could pull the passenger-side console cover. (Be careful, there are tabs you can break.) The toilet roll holder will be easily visible. You should be able to figure out if it's the knob/holder or somewhere down in the diverter.
Old 5th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2012                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-3 Vert 235's and Stage 2
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT View Post
I believe that some people have basically forced the diverter to floor/defrost position for the winter. However it's better to fix this.

While trying to fix it would be better - I gave up.

I tried the screw method, silicone spray, yelling at it, fake tears with begging - nothing worked.

I ended up putting it on the floor / defrost for the winter and I will change it back to the dash vents when warmer weather comes around.

To manually change it pull the glove box and the side panel. The white 'toilet paper roll' is right there, rotate it with your hand. Put panels back in, takes around 10 mins 2x per year.
Old 5th March 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900 2.3 Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispin9-3 View Post
While trying to fix it would be better - I gave up.

I tried the screw method, silicone spray, yelling at it, fake tears with begging - nothing worked.

I ended up putting it on the floor / defrost for the winter and I will change it back to the dash vents when warmer weather comes around.

To manually change it pull the glove box and the side panel. The white 'toilet paper roll' is right there, rotate it with your hand. Put panels back in, takes around 10 mins 2x per year.
So it turns, but very very stiffly?

You might need real tears from a fake clown or something.
Old 5th March 2013

haha, thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll just pop off the panel and rotate "the toilet paper roll". My fan speed does change just fine with no resistance, the problem is solely that the defroster won't emit air. Thanks again!!
Old 5th March 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius DIO View Post
Electronic climate control is vacuum controlled I believe.
Just an FYI it uses stepping motors that receive a PWM signal from the ACC unit.
Old 5th March 2013

My car does not have auto climate control
Old 5th March 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

I know, it was just an FYI for people that stumble across this thread and have ACC so they aren't misinformed.
Old 6th March 2013

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900 SE convertible

The toilet roll paper holder can be part of the problem though, the manual control knobs tend to lose teeth and stop working. To dig yourself out of a hole you can pull off the hot/cold to use on the directional setting or, vice versa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement