saab ev-1 - Page 3 - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab Classic 900 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Classic Saab 900

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31-05-07
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's

Have you got any top trumps you could check to see what BHP takes you over 200mph , i'm sure there is a rough rule that if you double the speed you have to square the HP, so a 100bhp car could do 100mph but to do 200mph you need 1000hp.
Advertisement

Old 31-05-07
Banned

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: The Black Night, 900T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si
Have you got any top trumps you could check to see what BHP takes you over 200mph , i'm sure there is a rough rule that if you double the speed you have to square the HP, so a 100bhp car could do 100mph but to do 200mph you need 1000hp.
Your right, the air gets harder to push out the way the faster you go, I suppose a strong tail wind is the way to go

Or even better a jet engine, thats sucking you forward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-05-07
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's

Quote:
Your right, the air gets harder to push out the way the faster you go, I suppose a strong tail wind is the way to go

Or even better a jet engine, thats sucking you forward__________________
Have'nt you fitted a sonic turbulator to the front of your c900 yet?
Old 31-05-07
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si
A new Z06 can do 200 mph with only 505 (yeah the gearing is such that the power peak is right around that speed too).

But yes, the power consumption of the aerodynamic drag increase with the square of the relative velocity of the air and the car body.

Just try to get a 100 mph tailwind and then you could do it with the engine turned off

Edit

Jet engine is surely the way to go. Not even just for performance, it's worth it just for when you turn the key and "whoooooSSSSHHHHHH!!" Oh I love that jet engine sound
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 31-05-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1986 Volvo 245DL

Yeah, whenever they have a jet powered car at the local track i have to go and see it
Old 31-05-07
Banned

Yeh but cleaning out minced body parts from the turbine must be a pain in the crack

I know this sounds stupid but I think Rover, the old now dead UK car company used a jet engine in a comercial car, it was still connected to gears but apparently it would cruise at 100mph with easy

I think this was around 1960's I maybe mixed up or plain making this up
Old 26-06-07
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: '91 900 T16S on Megasquirt2/Extra

Heres a few:

Theres a vent in the bonnet above that air filter

Looks familiar..

And an interior pic:

Sorry, no pictures of the intercooler setup, but looks like FMIC, quite possibly 9k considering the amount of 9k parts on the car.
Old 26-06-07
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1991 Talledaga Red SPG (Rosie)

I've done 140 MPH in my SAAB. Don't know the HP but I think it could go a little faster. I'm running out of fuel and boost then.

I do know I'm not around 500HP. Maybe close to 265-275 range. Aerodyanamics really plays in.

If you had the car lowered and a good ground effects package it would help with the attaining that speed without having gobes of HP.

My dream car would be a 2 seater. One in front, one behind kind of like a fighter plane. AWD and turbo'd, Oh, did I mention adjustable suspension and it would also convert into an amphi car. Land and water and be able to do 0-60 in 3 seconds on land and handle like a dream. Water Jet drive for amphi mode.

Again major dreaming. Maybe when I hit it rich in the next life.

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=Jennifers
Old 26-06-07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence

If you had the car lowered and a good ground effects package it would help with the attaining that speed without having gobes of HP.
Ground effect is something I really want to take care of with some aluminum sheeting under my car, I have been saying that for years

Quote:
Again major dreaming. Maybe when I hit it rich in the next life.
If we lived in a wetter world then ever car maker would be doing what you asked for, all it takes is money, motivation, skill and ingenuity
Old 26-06-07
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
I've done 140 MPH in my SAAB. Don't know the HP but I think it could go a little faster. I'm running out of fuel and boost then.

I do know I'm not around 500HP. Maybe close to 265-275 range. Aerodyanamics really plays in.
A stock 165 HP US spec SPG would do 130+ out of the box. So did the regular 900 Turbo 16... Saab must not have really experimented with performance when taking those pictures of 900's out in Arizona for the brochures They do say the 8 valve automatic will do 100
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 26-06-07
Saab Lunatic

I did nearly 140 in a short burst on the autobahn, it doesn't take long to get there. The only mod I have is a slightly modified apc, that holds its modest boost all the way to redline. With type 8's, 155 is easy enough to attain apparently.
Old 27-06-07
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1991 Talledaga Red SPG (Rosie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks
Ground effect is something I really want to take care of with some aluminum sheeting under my car, I have been saying that for years

If we lived in a wetter world then ever car maker would be doing what you asked for, all it takes is money, motivation, skill and ingenuity
Oh, by the way with global warming I may have to build the car sooner than I expected. Also, when the stock hits the Stock market. BUY IT!!! It will be worth a fortune in no time. It may double or triple.

I actually sat down one day and drew up some plan's for the car. It used a SAAB motor (turbo of course) and alum sheeting for the bottom half and Fiberglass and High impact plastic for the canopy. Fully adjustable suspension for road, rally, dirt or fully retracted for water. A subaru drive line.

Never did figure out how to keep the engine compartment water tight without some really heavy duty axle shaft seals, and extending the steering rack out to some sort of bulk head.

Figured if I used steel tubing for the chassis is would weigh about 1500-2300lb complete with driver and passenger, Depending on what was used to power the jet drive. Also, would only draft about 12" of water.

Of course this is only a dream. Or is it. To be continued.

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=Jennifers
Old 28-06-07
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1993 T16 (xLPT) - 1994 RUBY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb
I did nearly 140 in a short burst on the autobahn, it doesn't take long to get there. The only mod I have is a slightly modified apc, that holds its modest boost all the way to redline. With type 8's, 155 is easy enough to attain apparently.
i did 140 on the french autoroute o the way back from le mans last year (its ok, stopped at services to waste up some time and avoid the "average speed between toll" trap..... naughty i know, but im never likely to get to germany to make use of the autobahns, and its was deathly quiet with no traffic - wouldnt have done it otherwise... the car was totally stabble, and really serene

i too only have a modded apc, but type 6 primaries i think (revs were so high passenger could see the fuel gauge dropping... i was too busy )

G

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/Gs-little-Saab
Old 28-06-07
Saab Lunatic

btw.... steering wheel looks nice

G

Old 28-06-07
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: Ehh....none

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg23
btw.... steering wheel looks nice

G
Never mind that. Why is the guy in the background pointing at his walloper
Old 28-06-07
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Trout
Never mind that. Why is the guy in the background pointing at his walloper
and the other guy taking a picture of his crotchal area...?
im glad i missed Trollhatten now

G

Old 28-06-07
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 900 Carlsson, 99t, 99 T16, 900 t16 vert

Does anyone want to know where Phil sourced this interior picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca
... yes ... four window switches (2x front, 2x rear presumably) on each side of the car? What's that all about, then?

... and on a car that appears to have no rear windows that could be operated by any one of those eight window switches
Those are the adjustment controls for the figure hugging electric sports seats.
Old 28-06-07
Saab Lunatic

Well, as you know it was taken at the saab festival 2007 in trollhattan I only had a few seconds to take a picture, there was a queue of people waiting to sit in the car. So no time to tell wierdos to get out of the way..
Old 28-06-07
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 900 Carlsson, 99t, 99 T16, 900 t16 vert

it wasn't quite a 'queue' though Phil. I think there was only one guy waiting to get in. Make the most of it Phil - this was an execlusive! We were round the side of the Saab mueseum and I noticed the door was open. Nobody else was sitting in it. I thought it made sense to take advantage of this one-off oppertunity so got in and sat behind the wheel! It was quite quiet around there, no Saab officials or crowds. The key was in the ignition and if only I was a bit badder...! The door was shut and the car was locked when we passed by 5 minutes later.
Old 28-06-07
Saab Lunatic

Yeah, it wasn't much of a queue, true. If I was in the car much longer, it would have been started Car sounds pretty good too, I've a video of it driving past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement