Ticking noise when engine warm - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th November 2012

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-5 2.0t, Saab 9-5 2.3t
Default Ticking noise when engine warm

Hi guys! Experiencing a weird problem that started only few days ago. When engine is cold, after startup it sounds great but after driving for 15 minutes when the engine is warm, I can hear a tapping noise from the engine. Cant really identify where it comes from exactly, but it sounds like its the engine (only had a 10 secs look under the bonnett so cant say for sure). Second time I was driving it i heard a single chime when i was turning right on the road, but no lights came up and nothing came up on Sid II, it sometimes comes up to let me know that the breaking light bulb is faulty (but its not) but that normally happens when i press the break pedal when changing to D and a message would come up. Just not sure if its relevant. When I turn the ignition on all the lights on the dash are on as they should be.
Just to let you all know, I've changed timing chains with all the gears and sprockets, dropped and cleaned the sump and engine from sludge, upgraded to #6 kit, changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter and god knows what else. That was in may. Since then, we did a 4000 mile journey to Germany and France and the car was used daily and everything was fine.

Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 14th November 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

Did you change the grade oil? And are you using synthetic? Could be a sticky valve/lifter; although some Saabs do tick a little on start up then goes away; yours happens while your driving you might want to use a thicker oil no 0w. The brake light message is a Saab feature (I still don't get it); you just touch the brake pedal and the message goes away until the next time you start the car; it can be turned on/off with a Tech 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th November 2012

Yeah, using fully synt genuine saab oil and genuine saab filter from neo brothers. Not sure what type of oil was used before I got the car, but since the big repairs its running on fully synthetic.
If its a lifter, is that going to be a costy repair? Already put over 1200 towards the car, and now as a father to be, we need to save for the little guy
Regarding the break light failure, I can live eith that, its just the random ding-dong sound while driving and not showing any messages was a bit weird?
Old 14th November 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

A thicker oil may do the trick; you can try a little seafoam in the engine to see if that helps. Lifter's are a top end job could be costly depending on what need to be done.
Old 15th November 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 SE 3.0L V6 - BCB Stage II
Garage

My Sid will also make that chime sometime and display nothing. Hasn't done it in a while now. My engine was ticking couple months ago because I was low on oil (I burn lots of oil) seems like your all set on the oil though.
Old 15th November 2012

Yeah, oil levels and everything seems fine. Bought engine flush, oil and filter. Garage booked for saturday. Fingers crossed!
Old 15th November 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Good luck, sometimes those tings are oil pressure and it does not light up the light but the chime sounds, hope not tho
Old 15th November 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2.3T HO Manual

You should have used an oil flush product when switching over from the other owner, the ticking is probably just crud which has managed to clog a lifter. Make sure you use an A3 / B3 spec oil. I use Pennzoil 5W-30 full synthetic Euro "L", plus do an Amsoil flush everytime. A lot of friends around here use a slightly oversized oil filter, mine is a "Wix" #51516, the theory is, more space to trap more crud. The Pennzoil product is supposed to have heavy duty cleaning properties, I think it does a great job. No noises with my car @ 135K miles.
Old 16th November 2012

Well, the engine was out after i got the car so thought that would do. The engine oil I got is GM dexos2 5W-30, GM oil filter (both purchased at neo bros) and REDEX engine flush I found in my local Halfords.
What is the most effective way of doing an engine flush? Pour it to the cold engine, start the car and drive to the garage for oil change? Do it on stationary in the garage for 5 mns just before the oil change? Any other tips?
Thanks!
Old 17th November 2012

Back from the garage, did an Engine flush and drained it. After 4k miles it was reeeeeeeeally black, like its not been changed in years. Ticking stopped, although my mechaninc said it sounded more like it was coming from a vacuum pump. So far so good, however on my way back I managed to break my electric window. Drove over a pothole heard some screws falling so Ive opened the window and half way down it collapsed and nearly fall out! Not really a season for opening windows right now but needs to be fixed. Arghhhhhhhh!
Old 17th November 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2.3T HO Manual

That noise that you heard that sounded like a screw falling inside your window might have been a window "roller". It is a part known to fail. Check out the tutorial section where you'll find instructions on how to replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement