Anti-Theft System Gone Mad -- HELP! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th October 2012

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: 91 Turbo & 92 900S, 94, 97 & 98 900S
Garage
Default Anti-Theft System Gone Mad -- HELP!

1994 Saab 900S. I have never activated or used the anti-theft system since I've had the car. This is the kind that does not have a key fob like my 98 900 Vert but where you turn the key 90 degrees to activate the system. I always just use the central locking (first detent) and the alarm has never activated. A couple weeks ago I came out and the car wouldn't start. I could hear the starter relay clicking, but nothing. I tried several things including cycling the driver's door lock and it started. Today I came out and same thing. I was 25 miles from home and I never could get it to start. There were no flashing lights or siren like the alarm had been set off. I was just about to call a tow truck when the anti-theft light in the middle of the dash starting flashing. The car then started and ran fine although the light is now continually flashing 24/7 whether the car is running, off, unlocked, or locked. I see in the owner's manual this indicates a fault in the system. I'm almost afraid to lock the doors again for fear it won't start. I also see there is a separate fuse just for the anti-theft system. Can I pull this fuse and deactivate the system entirely without it preventing the car from starting or affecting anything else? Should the car be running when I do that (i.e., Chrysler products). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th October 2012
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Why not try to experiment ?
The car is a relic and not a daily driver ?, right ?
Do check out the battery and charging system, this task is easy enough..and when electrics are misbehaving, the first step..
I do not know if one can completely disconnect the security/alarm system on a '94 or 5..mine is a '96....I do not seem to have an alarm, I hope I do not
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 4th October 2012

Garage

It's one of my regular drivers and in excellent original condition. Looks almost new inside and out. The battery is 9 months old and the charging system is working properly. I definitely wouldn't call it a relic. Although after reviewing the system, the starter relay was definitely clicking inside the car and the lights were dimming when I turned the key to the start position, so maybe I have a starter going bad and the alarm thing is coincidental?
Old 4th October 2012

Garage

Pulled fuse #23, Burglar Alarm/Telephone. Everything seems to still be working properly. Car starts and runs fine. Central locking still operative. Flashing alarm light out. I'll see if problem crops up again; if so, most likely starter issue.
Old 4th October 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SC, 2013 Volvo C70

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
I do not know if one can completely disconnect the security/alarm system on a '94 or 5..mine is a '96....I do not seem to have an alarm, I hope I do not
Pretty sure you do. Don't think they came without the alarm system.
Old 4th October 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 Aero Sedan. Chilli/charcoal MT

Pulling the alarm fuse won't hurt anything. It will disable the alarm from activating/sounding when you open the doors, but not when you try to start it. There's a fail safe somewhere and I'm not sure where. Long story short I had alarm activated but fob batteries died. I opened the door with the key, pulled the alarm fuse. Thankfully the alarm shut up. Put key in ignition and tried to start the engine. This is where I nearly jumped out of my skin. The engine cranked and pretty much started, then shut right off (alarm did that). At the same time, the alarm resounded even with the fuse pulled. So basically pulling the fuse allows you to get in and out without it sounding but won't stop the alarm system from disabling the engine.

As to turning the key 90degrees in the vert- that's just the deadlock, not the alarm. I use that now that my alarm won't really respond even with new batteries. Btw, the deadlock just doesn't allow the doors to be unlocked Cept with the key from the outside. Even lifting the lock won't work-it'll just pull back down right out of your grasp.
Old 5th October 2012

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 85,92,98 900
Default You may want to look at this post...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=236919
Old 8th October 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900SE 2.5L V-6 Convertible

The fuse was my solutuin to the same problem. I have been driving for two years now without this fuse and no problems. My 'relic' is a daily use vehicle and I 'love my Saab'.
Old 8th October 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: .

I grabbed an extra alarm assembly for $5. It's under the drivers-side fender near upper door hinge (pull fender liner and it's right there). Both batteries in it were showing 3v with volt meter so I'll eventually swap into my alarm as the warning has been popping up. (looks like batteries are soldered for some reason) Very rare that people take the alarm from bone yard cars. Very easy to remove. The yard didn't even know what to call it, so they sold it as a "horn" LOL. You can't even get the batteries for $5 new!
Old 21st March 2014

Join Date: Mar 2014                                                
Default jotzgr

I am having the exact same issue with my saab 9 3 not starting. I hear the clicking as I insert key, the lights come on but won't turn over at all, just as you described. Did you ever determine the problem? I am anxiously awaiting your reply as it sits in the parking lot.
Old 21st March 2014
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

Have you tried the simple things first, like checking the battery voltage which should be at least +12.6 VDC, then trying another key?... Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement