Full range door speakers? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd September 2012

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900SE 2.0L Turbo
Default Full range door speakers?

Would it be worth it to swap out the low range amp and door speakers with full range ones in my 900SE? I care more about audio quality than anything, but something tells me that the acoustics of the vehicle wouldn't allow me much benefit from full-range vs. low-range speakers when they're mounted at floor level.

Also, what's the box behind the trunk lining, where the clarion changer (which I don't have) plugs in? Is it an extra amp, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd September 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

My family's had several Honda Civics with full range speakers down low in the doors, right where the woofers are in our Saabs. I was never impressed with how they sounded down there. The balance was always off, and the treble didn't project well. If you want to replace the amp with a full-range one, I'd put a low-pass filter on it so the door speakers still only get bass.

I'm not sure what other box you're talking about behind the trunk lining. The only thing that should be back there is the power antenna motor, unless you have a convertible. I think they have a computer for the top back there, too.
Old 23rd September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R. View Post
I'm not sure what other box you're talking about behind the trunk lining. The only thing that should be back there is the power antenna motor, unless you have a convertible. I think they have a computer for the top back there, too.
Well, it's not a convertible, just a 5-door SE. The box is mounted a little bit forward of the antenna motor, right below the rear speaker. I had assumed it was hardware related to the CD changer, but I suppose it could also be an amp for the rear speakers? It seems to be a factory part.
Old 23rd September 2012
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Since we have an old car here with an unknown history...I'd guess that at one time the mystery trunk bracket held the CD player - years ago..
On audio quality, I do not think that any vehicle can be good at this...there is so much audio compromise....only a true concert hall with a proper design will do.
Or a superb pair of headphones, IMO..
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 23rd September 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 V6 SE, 99 S Coupe, 01 SE Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siguii View Post
Would it be worth it to swap out the low range amp and door speakers with full range ones in my 900SE? I care more about audio quality than anything, but something tells me that the acoustics of the vehicle wouldn't allow me much benefit from full-range vs. low-range speakers when they're mounted at floor level.

Also, what's the box behind the trunk lining, where the clarion changer (which I don't have) plugs in? Is it an extra amp, or what?

The aux amp that drives the front door speakers has an active crossover built into it that kills all but the bass. Full range speakers won't ever get the higher frequencies

On the up side, the old oem woofers might well be getting quite tired (the foam surrounds are notorious for failing) and full range speakers are much easier to find and make perfectly adequate replacements.
Old 23rd September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
Since we have an old car here with an unknown history...I'd guess that at one time the mystery trunk bracket held the CD player - years ago..
On audio quality, I do not think that any vehicle can be good at this...there is so much audio compromise....only a true concert hall with a proper design will do.
Or a superb pair of headphones, IMO..
Well I'm not sure why the CD changer would be in a sealed aluminum box, INSIDE the trunk lining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by win_k View Post
The aux amp that drives the front door speakers has an active crossover built into it that kills all but the bass. Full range speakers won't ever get the higher frequencies

On the up side, the old oem woofers might well be getting quite tired (the foam surrounds are notorious for failing) and full range speakers are much easier to find and make perfectly adequate replacements.
As I said, I'd be swapping the amp out as well. Door speakers aren't currently working, dunno why. Just fixed my SID so I can finally use the radio again.
Old 23rd September 2012

Okay, I removed the lining to take a look at said box again... It's about 5 inches on each side, has a couple coax cables leading out of it, and an unused 8P8C connector. What the heck is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120923_132710.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	31666  

Last edited by Siguii; 23rd September 2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 23rd September 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

It could be a transceiver from an old analog cell phone... Ron
Old 23rd September 2012

So... Back to the original topic at hand. Which option out of the following should I pick?
New receiver, small amplifier for door speakers (possibly new door speakers as well) and stock rear and dash speakers
-or-
New receiver connected directly to new component speakers, tweeters in place of dashboard speakers, and no amplifier
Old 23rd September 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2012                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-3 Vert 235's and Stage 2
Garage

Quote:
So... Back to the original topic at hand. Which option out of the following should I pick?
New receiver, small amplifier for door speakers (possibly new door speakers as well) and stock rear and dash speakers
-or-
New receiver connected directly to new component speakers, tweeters in place of dashboard speakers, and no amplifier
or

C: Factory radio
Component front speakers, 6.5 in doors, tweeters on dash
100 watt x 2 quality amp running the front speakers
Old 24th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispin9-3 View Post
or

C: Factory radio
Component front speakers, 6.5 in doors, tweeters on dash
100 watt x 2 quality amp running the front speakers
While I would like to keep the factory radio, as it sits flush with the dashboard, the lack of a CD player or aux-input (granted, the latter I could fix easily enough) is a bit of a drawback for me... The tape deck doesn't even work on my unit. I feel like it'd be better to get a new radio.
Old 24th September 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

If you want a new headunit, I would do components in the front (the doors are too low a location to locate full range speakers) drive those with a new 2 channel amp and then drive the 3-way 6x9s in the rear with the headunit it, unless you want to spend the extra on a 4 channel amp.
Old 24th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
If you want a new headunit, I would do components in the front (the doors are too low a location to locate full range speakers) drive those with a new 2 channel amp and then drive the 3-way 6x9s in the rear with the headunit it, unless you want to spend the extra on a 4 channel amp.
What brand/model would you recommend for component speakers?
Old 24th September 2012
Saab on the Brain!

I have Hifonics in mine, great for the price, but there are plenty of choices depending how much you want to spend.
Old 24th September 2012

I don't have all that much to spend, but I care far more about audio clarity and dynamic range than power/booming bass... I am a bit of an audiophile, but of course can't be too extravagant... Even if I did have thousands to to spend on car speakers, I'm not sure I'd install them in my $500 Saab...

Generally speaking, if a product is the best "value" within a certain price range, I'll get whatever is the best "quality" within the same price range, provided that it's within 10-20% of the price of the "value" model.
Old 24th September 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900 2.3 Coupé

Quote:
I don't have all that much to spend, but I care far more about audio clarity and dynamic range than power/booming bass... I am a bit of an audiophile, but of course can't be too extravagant... Even if I did have thousands to to spend on car speakers, I'm not sure I'd install them in my $500 Saab...

Generally speaking, if a product is the best "value" within a certain price range, I'll get whatever is the best "quality" within the same price range, provided that it's within 10-20% of the price of the "value" model.
Your car should have the control cable for a CD changer running to the back already. So if you can find a Saab (Clarion) changer in the junkyard, you have CD with your existing head unit. May not cost much either.

The factory dash speakers are not very good, and the rear factory 6x9s will probably have rotted foam, and they weren't very good in the first place.

The factory radio had already been replaced by a crappy Sony Xplod so I put in my Blaupunkt head unit.

I had a pair of good (Boston Acoustics SL95) 6x9s on hand, so I dropped them in the back, and drove them with a small power amp I have. I ran the dash speakers off the head unit. They weren't very good, so got replaced with the best pair of drop-in 3.5s I could find (Kicker; would have gone for Boston Acoustics but BA is out of the car audio game). This produces a pretty effective sound overall, though the enclosure for the 6x9s isn't good enough for really clear deep bass.

If I get around to it I might put in some door speakers (my car didn't come with them), but the additional complexity in wiring and amplification is dissuading me. The system as I have it is competent and will play nicely loud without being annoying. The soundstage is kind of surround, though, instead of being from ahead. I don't mind, but some people do.
Old 24th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT View Post
Your car should have the control cable for a CD changer running to the back already. So if you can find a Saab (Clarion) changer in the junkyard, you have CD with your existing head unit. May not cost much either.
I saw a clarion for pretty cheap on eBay, and considered buying it, but it seemed to me like having to access the trunk to put a CD in would be inconvenient.

I have seen some used Saab CD receivers from 9000, 9-5, and 9-3s... Are those compatible with my 900? Or is the wiring all wrong?
Old 24th September 2012
Saab on the Brain!

You may be able to get the one from the 9000 to work, but the newer ones (9-3 and 9-5) are married to the car and wont work with a ng900.
The changer in the trunk is 6 disc, so you wont have to change that often, I do have one I don't use if you want it, but I think a new headunit is a better decision as its nearing 15 years old now. And where in MA are you siguii?
Old 24th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
You may be able to get the one from the 9000 to work, but the newer ones (9-3 and 9-5) are married to the car and wont work with a ng900.
The changer in the trunk is 6 disc, so you wont have to change that often, I do have one I don't use if you want it, but I think a new headunit is a better decision as its nearing 15 years old now. And where in MA are you siguii?
Near Amherst.
Old 24th September 2012
Saab on the Brain!

OK I'm about 2 hours away, but if you are ever in the southern NH area you are welcome to come listen to my setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement