Steering lock malfunction, key won't turn in ignition - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th September 2012

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-3 2.2tid
Default Steering lock malfunction, key won't turn in ignition

Was working on the car on Saturday, disconnected the battery and got the brackets welded on the rear for my airbags, went to start the car on Sunday morning and this sid said steering lock malfunction contact service and won't let the key turn at all

I've tried: Disconnecting the battery overnight
Removing fuses 1&2 for a few seconds to reset ignition and lock
Resyncing the key
Tested every fuse I can see in the car
New ignition switch
A fully charged battery

All of which didn't make a difference, anyone had this fault before tried anything else

Could the key have lost its programming? I've someone calling to my house this evening to plug tech2 in but if there's something I could try in the mean time to save him calling out

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th September 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero 2.8t
Garage

This may be obvious, but you didnt say you tried. I used to get this same failure on my 06 aero. As I was inserting the key and attemping to turn it I would rotate the steering wheel back and forth. This would allow the steering wheel lock to free up.

the steering wheel lock can go bad also.
Old 12th September 2012

Yea I tried that too but still the same, the tech2 man should be here in about an hour so will hopefully find out then
Old 12th September 2012

So tech2 fixed it, not sure what he done but 1 hour later the car is back to not working again, stupid thing is so annoying
Old 14th September 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Saab 93 2.0T

I've had this issue plenty of times and finally now been few months without anything! Where you place the key you will hear a click every time you turn it. That module I removed and started looking in it. There are two metal pieces that every time you turn the key it contacts with 2 other pieces. Over time I guess with our saab's those two pieces stretch and no longer reach the contact SOOOO I pushed the hell out of it down so there is no way possible it would not get contact and ever since then its perfect!
Old 14th September 2012

Got it fixed the computer lost the key code so wasn't recognising the key
Got tech2 plugged in for 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement