BSR Tuning for Linear - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X GENERAL Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X GENERAL Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers general Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15-03-04

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
Default BSR Tuning for Linear

Anybody out there have a BSR PPC tuned Linear, I am really thinking about this upgrade but would love some feed back, plus I have been hearing rumors that the Linear actually has close to 195bhp and that SAAB understated the power to keep the price down in certian markets. If this is true the $950 for the PPC seems like a waste if it only delivers 9 more hp. Any words of wisdom for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-03-04
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Jmcorsi1172 has done his Linear. The only one I believe.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25232

I don't think the 2.0t have more than 175 hp. I just had mine dynoed in readiness for the BSR PPC. The dyno showed it had 145 bhp at the wheels.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26136

A manual FWD would on average have a 15% drive train loss (maybe even less). My wheel dyno would support that. I will order the BSR soon and put it on and then re-dyno again. Hopefully I will have some comparison to post in about 3-4 weeks. I got to import it from halfway around the world!
Old 15-03-04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba

I don't think the 2.0t have more than 175 hp. I just had mine dynoed in readiness for the BSR PPC. The dyno showed it had 145 bhp at the wheels.

A manual FWD would on average have a 15% drive train loss (maybe even less). My wheel dyno would support that. I will order the BSR soon and put it on and then re-dyno again. Hopefully I will have some comparison to post in about 3-4 weeks. I got to import it from halfway around the world!
Hey thanks for the link and the info let me know how you like it when it's done.
Old 15-03-04
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Arc, 100k+ miles

I moved this inot the Tuning Forum, but left a bookmark...
Old 18-03-04

READ MY MOST RECENT POSTING BEFORE ORDERING. What seemed to be perfect may not be!
Old 18-03-04

Default TUNING NOT THE ISSUE

ISSUE IS NOT WITH THE PPC, GAS TANK WAS EMPTY. GAS GAUGE PROBLEM. GO AHEAD AND ORDER AND ENJOY THE NEW PERFORMANCE!
Old 18-03-04

Default Re: TUNING NOT THE ISSUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcorsi1172
ISSUE IS NOT WITH THE PPC, GAS TANK WAS EMPTY. GAS GAUGE PROBLEM. GO AHEAD AND ORDER AND ENJOY THE NEW PERFORMANCE!
Thanks for watchin out for me. I am going to get thee BSR PPC or have Nordic tune it I am really torn between the two.Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 18-03-04
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds 9-3
Thanks for watchin out for me. I am going to get thee BSR PPC or have Nordic tune it I am really torn between the two.Anybody have any suggestions?
A Nordic tunning is permanent, meaning that if you ever wanted to go back to the stock settings, you would have to send the ECU back to them. With BSR, it takes only a matter of minutes to go back to the original factory settings. Also, I believe Nordic was the ones saying the engine was not durable enough to do tuning on, so the BSR should get you more power.
Old 18-03-04
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2003                                                

I got some information that Hirsh will be coming out with a new upgrade package for the 9-3 SS soon. I cannot reveal the source but I think it is quite reliable . Has anyone heard anything similar, just to satisfy my own curiosity?
Old 18-03-04
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Aero

Thats cool for anyone who has it available, but it is not avavilable in the US. Its nice because it is protected under warranty, but will definitely not be as much of a gain as the BSR.
Old 18-03-04
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012
Thats cool for anyone who has it available, but it is not avavilable in the US. Its nice because it is protected under warranty, but will definitely not be as much of a gain as the BSR.
It will definitely cost an arm and a leg too.
Old 18-03-04
Banned

Hirsch tuning is not protected under waranty other than related to 9-5. Saab does not take any responsability for Hirsch parts related to the SS.
Old 18-03-04
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnken
Hirsch tuning is not protected under waranty other than related to 9-5. Saab does not take any responsability for Hirsch parts related to the SS.
Hirsch covers their stuff on the 9-5 and Saab covers all their stuff on the 9-5. I doubt Saab will come to the party if Hirsch stuff harms Saab stuff (and vice versa). Saab warranty DOES NOT cover Hirsch performance upgrades. It really is no different to putting BSR PPC on.

Warranty info
http://www.saab-performance.com/GB_en/5_0_offer.html

The Hirsch Stage upgrade for the 9-5 (150hp - 210 hp) is 1438 GBP! , 3 x the price of the BSR PPC for the 1.8t which has similar gains. The 9-5 Stage 1 Hirsch is a ECU exchange + airfilter.

All approved by Saab, but who said you needed Saab's approval. Saab won't cover the cost of a stuffed turbo if they can pin it on the Hirsch upgrade. Thats why the warranty info above clearly defines who is responsible for what.
Old 18-03-04

I vote for the BSR PPC. Although many ECU upgrades are "stealth", claim to be undetectable, you just need to take the car for a drive to notice the difference. I like I am less likely to have warranty issues with the PPC. As long as the battery is fully charged, you always load back the original settings. Of course I own the PPC and am more than pleased with the results.
Old 18-03-04
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Normally I would be ROFLMOA, but I'm so relieved.
Old 18-03-04

Quote:
Quote:
Normally I would be ROFLMOA, but I'm so relieved.
The Hirsch thing sounds pretty cool, but it will definitely cost to much money. If you go onto Wigwams(Nordic US) site they have a package for the Linear which will give you 220hp and another package that will give you 235hp, the first one is $2200 and the second is $3100.So it seems they are willing and able to tune the SS.
Old 19-03-04
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
The Hirsch thing sounds pretty cool, but it will definitely cost to much money. If you go onto Wigwams(Nordic US) site they have a package for the Linear which will give you 220hp and another package that will give you 235hp, the first one is $2200 and the second is $3100.So it seems they are willing and able to tune the SS.
I believe they are quotes for the old 9-3. It says 2.0t but they have just adopted the SS terminology and applied it to the old 9-3.
Old 19-03-04

Quote:
Quote:
I believe they are quotes for the old 9-3. It says 2.0t but they have just adopted the SS terminology and applied it to the old 9-3.
You know what I think you are right, that's pretty lame of them. Well I guess it is the BSR set-up for me. Thanks for catching that. Good on ya mate!
Old 19-03-04
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                

Quote:

I am waiting on your dyno results Saba. Have you done anything else, performance wise, to your car yet?
Old 20-03-04
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjku79
Quote:

I am waiting on your dyno results Saba. Have you done anything else, performance wise, to your car yet?
I hope to get the BSR next week. I will drive around for a week to get the car "accustomed" to it and then put it back on the dyno ASAP. I have the JR filter. I'm tossing up between a custom 3" catback or 17" wheels. One or the other
Sponsored Links
Advertisement