1999 9-5 Crank but no start?? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th August 2012

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 Wagon
Default 1999 9-5 Crank but no start??

Ok so just experienced my 1st issue. Car drove fine when I went to pick up my daughter at my mother inlaws house, the car wouldn't fire. Just crank but no start. Battrery is good starter is good. took like 10-15 trys then finally fired. So drove home and when I got home shut it off wouldn't fire again.

No check engine light came on at all, even ran a scan tool and checked pid's and everything else and nothing!?!?

So this am before going to work went out and took like 1 1/2 cranks and then fired up!?!?!?

From what i have searched on here and on the net I'm guessing could be the DIC or a crank sensor. I would have guessed cam sensor cause to me it seams like it not seeing it to fire but from what i understand that they don't have a cam sensor it's the DIC???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th August 2012

So going to replace the crank sensor first since it's cheaper than a DIC, which I can get at the saab dealer cheaper than a parts store and they have it instock insted of waiting a few days to get it in.

If that doesn't help then going to change the DIC

Any one have a sugestion on where to get a good quality but inexpensive one??

I know good quality and cheep don't mix

I found this one
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh.../saab/9-5.html
Old 18th August 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 2.3t - '00 9-3 Base

Correct, there is no "cam sensor".
Sounds like a cps issue.
Common warm, crank w/no start; cold, fires up.
A failing dic will sometimes cause a cel that is misdiagnosed as a bad camshaft sensor.
If the cps is older or you're not sure it's age - change it.
Best of luck and let us know.
Old 19th August 2012

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3 Turbo

Just had this problem with my 1999 95 2.3....starts great cold, but after you've driven it a bit and its warmed up, it has a tendency to either stall out during idle or wont restart once turned off. new Crankshaft position sensor fixed it and haven't had a problem since (drove a solid 250 miles the day after i installed it to our new house with a fully loaded car)
all in all not a bad diy job, actually took me longer to locate and trace the darn sensor than it did to change it. There are some really helpful posts regarding this issue on the forums, and I'd reccomend checking them out, as they were a great help to me (especially thi tip about making sure you get the old o-ring out from the old sensor) It's a tight fit, and you'll want to work on it from both the top and bottom of the engine, but all in all, never having done one before, I had the old one out and new one in in just under two hours time.
Hope this helped, and any further questions, please feel free to hit me up
Old 19th August 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 SE 5spd
Garage

Auto or Man trans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spity View Post
Ok so just experienced my 1st issue. Car drove fine when I went to pick up my daughter at my mother inlaws house, the car wouldn't fire. Just crank but no start. Battrery is good starter is good. took like 10-15 trys then finally fired. So drove home and when I got home shut it off wouldn't fire again.

No check engine light came on at all, even ran a scan tool and checked pid's and everything else and nothing!?!?

So this am before going to work went out and took like 1 1/2 cranks and then fired up!?!?!?

From what i have searched on here and on the net I'm guessing could be the DIC or a crank sensor. I would have guessed cam sensor cause to me it seams like it not seeing it to fire but from what i understand that they don't have a cam sensor it's the DIC???
Old 19th August 2012

So changed out the crank sensor took me less than an hour. Hardest part was routing the wire. But seams to fix the issue. Started up fine and I drove it for a while and then shut it off and then cranked back up with no problem. So I'm guessing that was the problem. Doesnt look like it was ever changed before. Now I just have to fined where my oil leak is comming from. Noticed a little one when I was under the car
Old 20th August 2012

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3 Turbo

Good deal. Glad to hear you got it back up and running with minimal effort and down time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement