Battery chargers from CTEK - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 81 8V 900T, 91 2.1 900i, 90 9k 2.0 Carly
Default Battery chargers from CTEK

In a heap of 4wd forums (I happen to own a diesel landcruiser as well as some Saab's) the CTEK chargers, specifically the MSX10 and MSX15, are the most commonly recommended.

Who in the Saab community uses Ctek charger products? I'm looking to buy an MSX15 which are priced around A$250 here, and from all accounts, they are well worth the expense.

I am looking to use a Ctek unit to charge the batteries in my 9000 and 2.1 900 hatchback since at present they are driven very little and spend most of the time not running.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Craig.
Advertisement

Old 18th July 2012
Super Moderator EMERITUS

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1995 9000 Aero.

Haven't heard anything negative about them. Ironically, I'm considering one for my Saab as I'm driving my Surf most of the time these days. Surf is the winter pack, so it's running dual batteries anyhow. Wanting to put in an isolation for that too.
Old 18th July 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1994 T Conv. 2000 P38 Range Rover

I have 2 CTEKs but not by choice.

I bought a "small" one for my C900 and found out later that it wasn't powerful enough to charge my Range Rover battery ..... so, I bought the "big" one too.

I have used the supplied lead and connected it semi permanently to the battery and run the plug so it pokes out under the bonnet and I can simply plug it the charger at any time. (just need to remember not to drive away with it connected ).

I like them - well made and do the job. Can be left connected when away on holiday, for example.

Whether the 4 stage charge actually helps to prolong battery life, I don't know ... anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: former SAAB owner

I have had one for several years. It works great. I have recharged several batteries that had been run down to zero and they work fine afterward.
It won't resurrect a completely worn battery (3 year old Saab TX battery) but it does fine with normal rundown situations. I keep it on my race car battery for the whole winter. That battery is now about 6 years old, and works great.
I once had an old battery that was run down. I put the ctek on it and it took 3 days to get to full charge. That battery went on to work for another 2 years before giving up.
Old 28th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 81 8V 900T, 91 2.1 900i, 90 9k 2.0 Carly

Kewl thanks for the responses. Looks like CTEK chargers have a good rap so I'll be investing in an MXS-15 shortly.

Craig.
Old 1st August 2012

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

I'm happy to big-up CTEK chargers. Not from the usual automotive background but from leisure. Their kit is great for maintaining leisure batteries and this year I've been testing their new D250s dual charger and I've been staggered with the results. (Testing? yup the real me product tests and writes the techy pages in a camping mag).
1997 Fiat Punto 1.25 85hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement