"jerky" driving at high-rpms - SaabCentral Forums
*
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum


Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25th June 2012
SilverStone641 SilverStone641 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
Location: Dallas, TX
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t
Posts: 207
Default "jerky" driving at high-rpms

This just started in the last few days, bear with me as i describe it poorly.

Whenever i put the accelerator to the floor, the car takes off like normal, until it hits higher RPMs, (usually 2k-3k) and "jerks" or lunges. Almost like it's not getting enough air or fuel. Another interesting piece is this morning, from a cold start, when i romped on it, it drove like normal. RPMs went up, turbo fired and i took off like i'm used to. It was only after driving the car for 15-20 minutes that the lunging/jerkiness started occurring. As long as i drive conservatively and accelerate slowly and smoothly, this doesn't happen.

It reminds me a WHOLE lot of when my throttle body failed on my 02 9-3.

Has anyone experience anything like this and could point me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 25th June 2012
SilverStone641 SilverStone641 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
Location: Dallas, TX
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t
Posts: 207
Default

New symptom. Now i have next to no power in first and second gears. It feels slightly faster than letting the car idle forward. The car picks up almost immediately after that. It feels a lot like limp home, without the warnings. I'm thinking my transmission is failing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 26th June 2012
nickmatt nickmatt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011                                                
Location: england
My Saabs: saab 9-3 aero
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStone641 View Post
This just started in the last few days, bear with me as i describe it poorly.

Whenever i put the accelerator to the floor, the car takes off like normal, until it hits higher RPMs, (usually 2k-3k) and "jerks" or lunges. Almost like it's not getting enough air or fuel. Another interesting piece is this morning, from a cold start, when i romped on it, it drove like normal. RPMs went up, turbo fired and i took off like i'm used to. It was only after driving the car for 15-20 minutes that the lunging/jerkiness started occurring. As long as i drive conservatively and accelerate slowly and smoothly, this doesn't happen.

It reminds me a WHOLE lot of when my throttle body failed on my 02 9-3.

Has anyone experience anything like this and could point me in the right direction?
mine is doing exactly the same, i have read somewhere that it could be the coil pack
i am also interested to see what the replies are to this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 26th June 2012
SilverStone641 SilverStone641 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
Location: Dallas, TX
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t
Posts: 207
Default

I've been doing some googling, as my car is getting worse, and found these:

http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threa...wer-at-low-rpm

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=230900

Sounds like it could be any number of things.

New symptoms: I fired up the car for the commute to work this morning and the thing ran great. The throttle was light and extremely responsive. I stopped at Autozone to see about a replacement brake boost check valve. Once i got back into the car and started it, the motor started revving slightly then dropping below idle repeatedly. I took a few laps around the parking lot and it seemed to clear up. However, during the latter half of the drive to work, the throttle started to feel heavier and sluggish. Not sure if these are related or even helpful, just trying to keep notes on what the heck is going on.

Last edited by SilverStone641; 26th June 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 26th June 2012
nickmatt nickmatt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011                                                
Location: england
My Saabs: saab 9-3 aero
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStone641 View Post
I've been doing some googling, as my car is getting worse, and found these:

http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threa...wer-at-low-rpm

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=230900

Sounds like it could be any number of things.
thanks for the info, mine gets jumpy when i floor it then the engine light comes on and there it seems like its only working on a cyliner or 2. i switch it off and back on again and everythings fine
i am afraid to take it to the diagnostics in case i get a fright at the bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 26th June 2012
BKLYNHOLLA's Avatar
BKLYNHOLLA BKLYNHOLLA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
Location: S. Florida
My Saabs: 04 AERO
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStone641 View Post
This just started in the last few days, bear with me as i describe it poorly.

Whenever i put the accelerator to the floor, the car takes off like normal, until it hits higher RPMs, (usually 2k-3k) and "jerks" or lunges. Almost like it's not getting enough air or fuel. Another interesting piece is this morning, from a cold start, when i romped on it, it drove like normal. RPMs went up, turbo fired and i took off like i'm used to. It was only after driving the car for 15-20 minutes that the lunging/jerkiness started occurring. As long as i drive conservatively and accelerate slowly and smoothly, this doesn't happen.

It reminds me a WHOLE lot of when my throttle body failed on my 02 9-3.

Has anyone experience anything like this and could point me in the right direction?
Do the following:
Get a bottle of "sea foam" and do throttle body cleaning w/fuel treatment and check air filter.
Replace your spark plugs.
Verify ignition coils are ok.
Check transmission fluid (drain & refill if ness.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 26th June 2012
SilverStone641 SilverStone641 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
Location: Dallas, TX
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNHOLLA View Post
Do the following:
Get a bottle of "sea foam" and do throttle body cleaning w/fuel treatment and check air filter.
Replace your spark plugs.
Verify ignition coils are ok.
Check transmission fluid (drain & refill if ness.)
Fantastic! Now i have somewhere to start. Thank you! I'll report back on my results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 1st July 2012
nickmatt nickmatt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011                                                
Location: england
My Saabs: saab 9-3 aero
Posts: 15
Default

i have just had a really cheap fix !
i have been using a large ammount of water for some months now, and tbh i just put it down to the extreme high temp of the engine and its compartment (2.8 v6)
but 2 days ago i had a 'dump' of water from the engine, so i decided to put some k seal (whole water sealant) in
and low and behold it seems to have done the trick ! it is driving smoothly again,and there is no jerking
i am amazed, and fingers crossed it has saved me a very expensive repair

hope this may help somebody else too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 2nd July 2012
sleeper900 sleeper900 is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004                                                
Location: Mansfield, Ma
My Saabs: 07 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmatt View Post
i have just had a really cheap fix !
i have been using a large ammount of water for some months now, and tbh i just put it down to the extreme high temp of the engine and its compartment (2.8 v6)
but 2 days ago i had a 'dump' of water from the engine, so i decided to put some k seal (whole water sealant) in
and low and behold it seems to have done the trick ! it is driving smoothly again,and there is no jerking
i am amazed, and fingers crossed it has saved me a very expensive repair

hope this may help somebody else too
Large amount of water? Like burning coolant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 2nd July 2012
smurkenstein's Avatar
smurkenstein smurkenstein is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
Location: France
My Saabs: 03 9-3 Aero
Posts: 800
Default

If you car is a 2005 and has not had the spark plugs changed, there a good chance you have a dodgy plug. I had the same symptoms a while back. The juddering only happens under heavy load and mostly in the high gears. The plugs are a service item at about 70000 mi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 2nd July 2012
nickmatt nickmatt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011                                                
Location: england
My Saabs: saab 9-3 aero
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper900 View Post
Large amount of water? Like burning coolant?
it was, yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 2nd July 2012
smut smut is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
Location: ottawa on.
My Saabs: 99 93 stg.3
Posts: 711
Default Re

Sounds like a headgasket leaking but I wouldnt count on the repair working for long.Good luck though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 2nd July 2012
nickmatt nickmatt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011                                                
Location: england
My Saabs: saab 9-3 aero
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smut View Post
Sounds like a headgasket leaking but I wouldnt count on the repair working for long.Good luck though.
oh dear !
thanks for the info anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermittent engine surging/"hunts" while driving or in park. Only when warm 3Saabs 9-5 Workshop 1 2nd July 2011 01:51 AM
Driving with the "Check Engine" Light... schmearvin 9-5 Workshop 5 27th April 2011 04:10 PM
Saab Aero Academy makes Forbes top 10 "cool driving schools" lexington01 The Lounge 2 15th November 2008 06:57 AM
Driving like "winter" mode selected fourstar787 9-5 Workshop 13 8th July 2007 12:43 PM
2.3 Turbo stalling while driving "cutting out" HEL malamutt28 9000 Workshop 16 21st October 2004 09:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.