Early C900 or Early NG900 opinions... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 92 vert t16, 97 9K CSE
Default Early C900 or Early NG900 opinions...

May be a silly question, but I know a lot of guys here own both. I'm thinking about a Snow Saab since driving the vert in the winter is not my ideal choice. Not that it can't do it of course...just that driving in snowy and cold conditions with the top up is like driving in a cave.

So all things being equal - that meaning they both would require about the same amount of energy and elbow grease - which would be the better Snowmobile?
1992 Turbo 'vert, 1997 9000 CSE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th June 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: Wife's 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantar View Post
So all things being equal -...
But they're not....
c900, no contest.
Old 15th June 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: '94 T16 Ruby 3dr, '93 T16 Ruby Vert.

The C900 was designed by Saab for Scandinavian roads in winter. The NG wasn't either of these. Make your own mind up. It's a no brainer.

Old 15th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Yeah, that was the way I was leaning too...just wanted to hear it from the brain-trust. NG900's are so much more plentiful around here so the selection process would be more refined, but a C900 is a C900 after all...

Tacka Dig!
Old 15th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: '85 900 T16 Sedan
Garage

It's funny. Up here, people dread driving in the winter, and there are plenty of vehicle accidents to prove why. But though I hate everything else about our wintry climate here, the one thing I love about winter is the snow driving. I thought it was just because I had a bit of a rallying bug in me, but after I had to garage my c900 for the winter during repairs and drive my Protege instead, I understood all too well why the apprehension. It's not just the fun of sprited snow driving, but the safety and incredible amount of control a c900 has in the snow, paired with decent snow tires of course. I've been itching to put in an LSD to see if that puts the winter driving experience up another level!

I can't speak about the NG900's during the winter season, but for me, my c900 is the only thing good about winters!

li Arc
Old 15th June 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: Wife's 9-3

Just a a total bull effluent opinion, but I think the weight distribution, and resulting 'weight transfer' from having a lot of weight dangling out in front of the front axle is responsible for the outstanding snow performance.
A generic GM chassis doesn't compare (although I love the little woman's 9-3).
Old 15th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mesthene View Post
Just a a total bull effluent opinion, but I think the weight distribution, and resulting 'weight transfer' from having a lot of weight dangling out in front of the front axle is responsible for the outstanding snow performance.
A generic GM chassis doesn't compare (although I love the little woman's 9-3).
I agree 100% with the bullish effluentish opinion. I just don't know why it doesn't handle like a "nose heavy barge" as one Saabster once said. The more I drive mine, the more I'm fascinated by the way it works.
Old 16th June 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: '94 T16 Ruby 3dr, '93 T16 Ruby Vert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantar View Post
I just don't know why it doesn't handle like a "nose heavy barge" as one Saabster once said.
It's not really a nose heavy barge. It's only about 60% weight on the front wheels. Less so with rear passengers and a full tank of fuel. Plus it's got properly designed double wishbone front suspension. None of your strut nonsense. A double wishbone system gives the designer greater freedom to create the best camber curve during compression and rebound. Also this ensures stable suspension geometry during body roll and turning, and provides the designer with great opportunities to tune the car's roll characteristics through changes in roll center height and roll axis. They did well. That's why the C900 is so good.

Old 16th June 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: Trionic 5.5 1984 900t 8v
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by peva View Post
It's not really a nose heavy barge. It's only about 60% weight on the front wheels. Less so with rear passengers and a full tank of fuel. Plus it's got properly designed double wishbone front suspension. None of your strut nonsense. A double wishbone system gives the designer greater freedom to create the best camber curve during compression and rebound. Also this ensures stable suspension geometry during body roll and turning, and provides the designer with great opportunities to tune the car's roll characteristics through changes in roll center height and roll axis. They did well. That's why the C900 is so good.
Saab claimed 52:48 weight distribution over front and rear respectively, so that's a bit tighter than 60% or is this just promotion blabla? Ahhhh I see 60:40 is when driver only and 52:48 is when loaded, how clever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement