remove ac idler pulley? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd June 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900s N/A
Default remove ac idler pulley?

Hi, I'm having trouble finding the two 13mm bolts which hold the ac idler pulley to the block. I'm assuming that by 'idler pulley' , we are referring to the pulley on the back of the compressor. I found the twin saabs site, but am having trouble finding the bolts...

http://www.twinsaabs.com/900_repair/...3.asp?nsteps=6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd June 2012
SaabNut!

ok, ac idler pulley is the 'dumb' pulley next to the ac compressor.
Old 3rd June 2012

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1992 turbo 'vert

They're are 3 bolts you have to loosen. One of them is common with the power steering pump. You then loosen the tensioner and the belt pops right off. I actually worked on the exact thing on my car today. Since the condenser has a major leak, and I'm not sure if I'll ever swap it, I decided to remove the drive belt for the AC compressor. I just may remove the compressor and lines at some point as well.
Old 3rd June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 92 vert t16, 97 9K CSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieB View Post
They're are 3 bolts you have to loosen. One of them is common with the power steering pump. You then loosen the tensioner and the belt pops right off. I actually worked on the exact thing on my car today. Since the condenser has a major leak, and I'm not sure if I'll ever swap it, I decided to remove the drive belt for the AC compressor. I just may remove the compressor and lines at some point as well.
I just did that. The crash crushed up the condenser and since I never use the ac anyway I just pulled the rest of the ac components. 2 6mm cap screws come out and the 12mm bolt that's shared with the alternator ground has to be loosened and then you can lift the compressor and its bracketry off. Just cut the belt if you aren't goiing to use it again. 17mm bolt for the idler pully and then stand back in wonderment at all you've exposed of that Saab goodness underneath.
1992 Turbo 'vert, 1997 9000 CSE
Old 3rd June 2012

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1992 turbo 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantar View Post
I just did that. The crash crushed up the condenser and since I never use the ac anyway I just pulled the rest of the ac components. 2 6mm cap screws come out and the 12mm bolt that's shared with the alternator ground has to be loosened and then you can lift the compressor and its bracketry off. Just cut the belt if you aren't goiing to use it again. 17mm bolt for the idler pully and then stand back in wonderment at all you've exposed of that Saab goodness underneath.
Since I want to change the alternator bushings in the near future , I think the compressor needs to disappear. It's serving no useful purpose, except taking up precious real estate!
Old 4th June 2012
SaabNut!

That damn 12mm bolt holding the AC compressor is damn tight. I can't seem to loosen it. I tried using another wrench to get more torque, but it still didn't work. Anybody have a good trick for this?
Old 4th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2002                                                
My Saabs: 92 900T Convertible, 08 9-3 2.0T

I found it easier to remove the compressor from the bracket, and then get at the bolt. Otherwise, you can take a long wrench and bend the end a little to get better access.
Old 4th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ames117 View Post
Otherwise, you can take a long wrench and bend the end a little to get better access.
That's what I did...added more bend to the offset and got at it that way. It's also easier if you remover the small hoses (heater and feeder) from the water pump and get them out of the way.
Old 4th June 2012
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ames117 View Post
I found it easier to remove the compressor from the bracket, and then get at the bolt. Otherwise, you can take a long wrench and bend the end a little to get better access.

I don't see how removing the compressor from the bracket will help. Are you also suggesting that I bend the bracket with a wrench?

I am able to get my 6" long 12mm wrench on it on either end (box or open side), but even trying to use another wrench to make a longer lever, I am still unable to get that bolt to turn. I'm going to pick up an extra long 12mm wrench, and hopefully I will be able to get it free. Is it possible to remove the alternator without removing the 12mm, the alternator is in the way, so I cannot get a socket wrench on the bolt .This car is tormenting me...
Old 4th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by discord View Post
I don't see how removing the compressor from the bracket will help. Are you also suggesting that I bend the bracket with a wrench?

I am able to get my 6" long 12mm wrench on it on either end (box or open side), but even trying to use another wrench to make a longer lever, I am still unable to get that bolt to turn. I'm going to pick up an extra long 12mm wrench, and hopefully I will be able to get it free. Is it possible to remove the alternator without removing the 12mm, the alternator is in the way, so I cannot get a socket wrench on the bolt .This car is tormenting me...
The bend goes in the wrench. It's easiest at the box end since there's already an offset in it. 6" is not long enough though as you'll never get enough leverage on it. Another thing you can try is undo the compresser bolts closest to you (as you stand by the driver side fender), get some slack in the other two and tilt the compresser out of the way.

Or, just unbolt the compresser from the bracket and then you'll have clean access to the alternator ground bolt.

Remember you only have to loosen that bolt to lift the bracket off.
Old 4th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 91 900s turbo/ezk hybrid 97 9000 CSE

If you take the belt/s off the alternator, pull the alternator towards the fender you have enough room for a regular combo end wrench, then use a 2nd combo wrench for additional leverage. The bottom of the bracket is slotted so you only need to loosen the bottom bolt, not remove it.
'75 IH Scout
Old 5th June 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Turbo Vert, 1992 900S Vert
Default 12mm bolt

A 3/8" drive 12mm flexible socket with a 3/8" extension can be used to loosen this bolt. You can't use a universal with a regular 12mm socket as it is too long to clear the alternator.
Old 7th June 2012
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsverts View Post
A 3/8" drive 12mm flexible socket with a 3/8" extension can be used to loosen this bolt. You can't use a universal with a regular 12mm socket as it is too long to clear the alternator.
I'm not quite sure what you meant by flexible sockets, a special socket, or a flexible rod in-between the wrench and the socket itself?

I've passed the ac compressor removal stage, I purchased an extra long wrench and was able to turn the ******* bolt. Tomorrow I'm going to remove my water pump, so I can resolder the wiring to the CPS sensor which has caused myself, and the car so much grief. I will search the forums for a removal procedure ( water pump ). I was thinking that I remove the pulley bolts first and then can reach the pump mounting bolts.

I've been disappointed by the Bentely Book.
Old 7th June 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Turbo Vert, 1992 900S Vert
Default Flexible socket

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2907129...Types&var=sbar

See above for a picture of a flexible socket. Glad you got the bolt loose. It can be a bear.
Old 7th June 2012
SaabNut!

I've removed the 6 bolts from my water pump, but it seems to be stuck on. I also removed the 3 bolts from the rear. How do I get the pump off without damaging it?
Old 7th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67469

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/album144/IMG_1860

tap tap tap and it should come off if all the bolts are out
Old 7th June 2012
SaabNut!

tap tap tap, it came off. thanks...
Old 7th June 2012
SaabNut!

Looks like I'm going to have to remove the crankshaft pulley so I can remove the CPS. I cut the green wire too far back when I was having trouble removing the water pump.
Old 8th June 2012
SaabNut!

I got the crankshaft pulley bolt out. I still have 1 belt around the middle of 3 rings on my crankshaft pulley, which is also attached to another pulley. From the twinsaabs site it sounds like they called this an optional a/c pulley, however, it is not connected to the compressor (already removed), and is located near and underneath where the a/c idle pulley (also removed). I have tried removing the crankshaft pulley with this belt on, but I'm not having any luck. Therefore, I think I need to remove the little pulley so I can remove the belt and free the crank pulley to get to the CPS. The twinsaabs site mentions 10mm bolts. I'm not finding any 10mm bolts, There are some larger ones which appear underneath the pulley, are these the ones I need to remove to get the pulley and belt off? Should the crank pulley or CPS come off without removing the pulley / belt?
Old 8th June 2012
SaabNut!

The pulley has a giant allen key looking center.... I can remove the two 13mm bolts behind it, but I'm not sure this is the proper way to remove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement