Saab 9000 aero speedo stopped working - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th May 2012

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-5
Default Saab 9000 aero speedo stopped working

Hi

The speedo has stopped working on my 9000 aero, Is this likely to just be a speedo cable or the clocks them selves? and how hard is either of these things to replace? if its the clocks them selves if i pick up a set of used clocks on ebay isit a straight swap or do they need to be married back to the car like a 9-5 Šero?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Aero manual

Instrument cluster or speedo drive in the transmission. No cable in later 9000. Mine was both which foxed the mechanic at the time.
Old 30th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 96 9K CSE, 97 9K CS, 96 9K CS, 94 9K CSE

No cable, just a close-coupled gear driven sensor. It's a magnetic pick-up unit that screws onto the transmission with a short pigtail that connects to the harness:

Check for good electrical connection.

Unscrew the coupler and check the geardrive for mesh - the driven gear is nylon and can get stripped. Insert a small screwdriver into the square output hole, twist back and forth. There should be only a limited degree of rotation. If it spins freely, the gear is stripped.
See the middle assembly:

Old 31st May 2012

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 94 9000 Aero 5MT - 255K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiration View Post
Hi

The speedo has stopped working on my 9000 aero, Is this likely to just be a speedo cable or the clocks them selves? and how hard is either of these things to replace? if its the clocks them selves if i pick up a set of used clocks on ebay isit a straight swap or do they need to be married back to the car like a 9-5 Šero?
If you're lucky, it's only the removable speedo gear. They are about $20 from many online sources.

If you're unlucky, it's the internal speedo gear. Those are only $2, but you have to almost rebuild the entire transaxle just to replace that part.
Old 31st May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Or, a very skilled SAAB mechanic who has fished these out before, in the dark with his eyes closed, may get the old broken bits out. Inserting the new speedo drive is fairly easy, trying to fish the old broken bits out and failing means removal and stripping of the box. Take it to a reputable experienced SAAB mechanic.
Old 1st June 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superaero View Post
Or, a very skilled SAAB mechanic who has fished these out before, in the dark with his eyes closed, may get the old broken bits out. Inserting the new speedo drive is fairly easy, trying to fish the old broken bits out and failing means removal and stripping of the box. Take it to a reputable experienced SAAB mechanic.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. The external speedo transducer is made from plastic so if it got crunched, the trans would easily chew up the pieces. Typically the external speedo transducers stop working due to the electrical connection and not from breaking.

It's the internal plastic gear that breaks that's a concern. It won't negatively affect the transaxle, but it will stop functioning. From what I understand, to install one of those, you lightly heat them up and then press them onto a shaft inside the transaxle. If done improperly, they are prone to breaking.
Old 1st June 2012
Saab Lunatic

The problem is fishing out the old broken bits. The nylon gears won't hurt the tranny if they break up but you can't get the new one in unless you can fish the old broken bits out. I know, this happened to me. My mechanic is a genius and the tranny stayed put. Don't try this at home.
Old 4th June 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superaero View Post
but you can't get the new one in unless you can fish the old broken bits out.
Good point; I acknowledge defeat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement