Modding Bumper on a 2008 2.0T for Exhaust - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th May 2012

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: '08 9≥ 2.0T Saloon
Garage
Default Modding Bumper on a 2008 2.0T for Exhaust

So, I was pretty bummed when I found out that the ever loved decor kit around here (12793160) wasn't compatible with the bumpers of the MY-08s and up.

After searching high and low for the "correct" piece (32025847), I was finally able to snag one.

Going to throw a Magnaflow 14816 on her shortly thereafter.

This is what happens when you think to yourself that you shoulda bought an Aero or a TX.

(P.S. That BSR badge clearly adds 4hp at the wheels, y'all should look into it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th May 2012

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 sport sedan

Hi,

I am thinking of doing a similar exhaust mod to my car, would appreciate some further pictures once you have everything fitted.

Can I just ask, how do the two reflectors which you removed in the picture attach to the bumper and how easy are they to remove?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T JZW Stg 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleChill View Post
So, I was pretty bummed when I found out that the ever loved decor kit around here (12793160) wasn't compatible with the bumpers of the MY-08s and up.

After searching high and low for the "correct" piece (32025847), I was finally able to snag one.

Going to throw a Magnaflow 14816 on her shortly thereafter.

This is what happens when you think to yourself that you shoulda bought an Aero or a TX.

(P.S. That BSR badge clearly adds 4hp at the wheels, y'all should look into it.)
so you're going to have a dual exit exhaust with 2 pipes at each? sounds sweet, thats what i want to do but don't want to spend the cash on it.

and i think the BSR badge adds around 100hp, i know my JZW sticker does around that much. just add some neon under the car and loud speakers if you want another 200hp

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - JB+ & Alpina TCU Flash
Old 17th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Volvo C30 R Design, 1992 900T 'Vert
Garage

Visible exhaust sure adds a lot of style points to the car! I'd suggest a debadging though, there's way too much junk around that trunk.
Old 17th May 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubble2 View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of doing a similar exhaust mod to my car, would appreciate some further pictures once you have everything fitted.

Can I just ask, how do the two reflectors which you removed in the picture attach to the bumper and how easy are they to remove?

Thanks
Probably the easiest part of it all.

Crawl under your boot to where the reflector's are. There are two tabs which need to be pushed inward (see the arrows) so you can release it:

Careful not to stress the tabs too much, or they're crack. They're pretty heavy duty, though.

Here's a closer shot of the holes - the round ones on the outer edge are just for (what I would call...) the guide pins. That one lonely hole on the far left, no idea what that is for...

...water spots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekwilkinson View Post
so you're going to have a dual exit exhaust with 2 pipes at each? sounds sweet, thats what i want to do but don't want to spend the cash on it.
Nah, just a single exhaust outlet on this piece. I'll just have a twin pipe out the left side. Good enough for me! I don't wanna spend the money for all that, either. I don't know why these cars didn't come with visible exhausts from the factory to begin with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabhutter View Post
Visible exhaust sure adds a lot of style points to the car! I'd suggest a debadging though, there's way too much junk around that trunk.
I know it's busy, actually, I don't like the BSR badge as much as I thought I would...the Sewell thing's gonna go eventually, too.
Old 17th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T JZW Stg 3

Quote:
Nah, just a single exhaust outlet on this piece. I'll just have a twin pipe out the left side. Good enough for me! I don't wanna spend the money for all that, either. I don't know why these cars didn't come with visible exhausts from the factory to begin with...
when I looked at the pic i thought it had a place on both sides for the exhaust but i looked again and noticed i was wrong

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - JB+ & Alpina TCU Flash
Old 18th May 2012

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 2.0T
Garage

I just put a magnaflow on my my 2008 2.0T, i just used a turndown tip to keep it looking stock.
Old 18th May 2012

Quote:
Probably the easiest part of it all.

Crawl under your boot to where the reflector's are. There are two tabs which need to be pushed inward (see the arrows) so you can release it:

Careful not to stress the tabs too much, or they're crack. They're pretty heavy duty, though.

Here's a closer shot of the holes - the round ones on the outer edge are just for (what I would call...) the guide pins. That one lonely hole on the far left, no idea what that is for...

...water spots!

I know it's busy, actually, I don't like the BSR badge as much as I thought I would...the Sewell thing's gonna go eventually, too.

Thanks for that - really helpful, have you actually cut the bumper yet? if so what did you use? (or if you haven't cut it yet what do you intend to use)?
Old 18th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY08 9-3 Aero 2.0T Convertible

for anyone thinking of installing this, here's the actual Saab install instructions. Saab 32025847 instructions in English
2007 93convertible MY08 - bought 2010 2.5yrs old
Old 18th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: '09 Turbo4 9≥ SS, '08 Turbo4 9≥ SC
Garage

Get rid of the Sewell badge. The longer you leave it on, the more chance there is that it will leave ghosting where the badge used to be once you take it off. Dental floss/fishing line and some windex.
Old 19th May 2012

Garage

Okay, this is done. It would look much better if there were a contrast in color, but oh well.

Now to be sure I want to put a mf 14816 or something else...
Old 19th May 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedespeed7 View Post
Get rid of the Sewell badge. The longer you leave it on, the more chance there is that it will leave ghosting where the badge used to be once you take it off. Dental floss/fishing line and some windex.
Having had it since 2008 and after many a Louisiana/Texas summers for that adhesive to work into the paint, do you think it'll already be ghosted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedol View Post
for anyone thinking of installing this, here's the actual Saab install instructions. Saab 32025847 instructions in English
Thanks, this is where I got the instructions from a couple weeks ago. I think you had maybe posted it in a previous thread somewhere.
Old 19th May 2012

Thanks for the update, will definately do this on my car. Mine is Snow Silver so the black panel will contrast nicely.

Could I just ask again what you used to cut the bumper with? was it a hand saw of some kind or a power tool?

Thanks
Old 19th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Having had it since 2008 and after many a Louisiana/Texas summers for that adhesive to work into the paint, do you think it'll already be ghosted?

Nah, it'll be fine. Take it off on a warm day with some sunlight and fishing wire/dental floss. Floss works fine, it may break a few times when you're using it though. After you've removed it, do a quick spot polish with any kind of polish and you're done.
Old 19th May 2012

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: TurboX 6spd MT

You just sold me on doing this. It should look great on my snow silver 9-3. Great job
Old 20th May 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubble2 View Post
Thanks for the update, will definately do this on my car. Mine is Snow Silver so the black panel will contrast nicely.

Could I just ask again what you used to cut the bumper with? was it a hand saw of some kind or a power tool?

Thanks
My buddy cut it with a dremel. I couldn't watch; the thought of bÝrking up the bumper made me sweat. Though, the way this piece fits, it'll hide any mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93o8 View Post
You just sold me on doing this. It should look great on my snow silver 9-3. Great job
It'll look fantastic on yours! Good luck getting a hold of the part. I lucked out getting it from Saab USA Parts.

If you can't locate it in the States, email the guy on this eBay auction in the UK (it was my back-up):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280839845029#ht_836wt_1159

He gave me a shipping quote of 70 quid to Houston (£170 total), comes out to about 270 USD.
Old 21st May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2.8T aero (2006) JZW Stage 3+

Quote:

so is there a part like this to fit a 2006 car?
Old 21st May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loko View Post
so is there a part like this to fit a 2006 car?
Sort of. Part number 12793160. It's a small decor piece, basically to just clean up the hole you cut in the bumper. Or you can buy a lower rear spoiler like the Aero. '03 - '05 is single exit (4 cyl turbo), '06-07 is dual exit (V6 turbo)
Old 21st May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2.8T aero (2006) JZW Stage 3+

thanks for that, i have the V6 so it already has visible tailpipes but i,m looking for a new diffuser to go between the pipes, hirsch do this one but only for 08 and onwards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image03-1.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	29532  
Old 21st May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '72 240Z, '98 XJR, '10 MS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loko View Post
thanks for that, i have the V6 so it already has visible tailpipes but i,m looking for a new diffuser to go between the pipes, hirsch do this one but only for 08 and onwards
That is one sexy rear end. I might have the nards to cut into my bumper to make that work on the 07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement