Attempting to make Frankenseat - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: '94 900s 2.3 5spd
Default Attempting to make Frankenseat

Has anybody here mated the seat back from a three door to the seat bottom of a five door? Is it doable? I haven't completely pulled the seat from my 5 door yet, so I'm not certain. But, maybe somebody knows and can spare me the busted knuckles if it won't work.

And what on earth do I have to do to get that Torx head out? is it a T-50?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th May 2012

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 900S 1994 2.0i

Are you doing the swap because of worn seat back side supports? In case, have a look at my faq contribution below with respect to the manufacturing defect on the seat steel frame. I replaced the seat foam/fabrics only. I would imagine that the back and bottom are well tied together for security reasons. Maybe riveted or welded. Have a look if the photos of the frame reveal any details, I may be able to see more details on the full resolution images so let me know.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/Saab-900-...al-removal.htm

-Mario
Old 16th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900 2.3 Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
Has anybody here mated the seat back from a three door to the seat bottom of a five door? Is it doable? I haven't completely pulled the seat from my 5 door yet, so I'm not certain. But, maybe somebody knows and can spare me the busted knuckles if it won't work.

Why are you trying to do this? Do you want the seat-back folding functionality, or is the cushion simply in better shape?

I suspect that this will be a messy job, as the entire hinge needs to come off. Whatever linkage there is to release the seat track lock so the seat can slide forward when the seatback is folded forward will get in the way.

If you're talking about the seat track bolts, yes they are big Torx, and some are reluctant. Having spare seat track bolts means that you don'thave to put a half-stripped bolt back in (where it will become fully-stripped the next time you try to remove it).
Old 16th May 2012
SaabNut!

Yes, Ed, the side bolsters are in much better shape. I can see metal through the hole in my current seat back, the foam is gone, gone, gone. So, the old seat is toast.

But, I have a whole seat. Are the seat belt mounts plug and play? Because the one end for the three door must be on the B pillar, while the five door mounts on the seat itself. Is it really that easy to swap?

Oh, BTW, I meant the the Torx bolts holding the back and bottom together. I have both sets of rails, the current seat will come right out. Just haven't had the time yet.

Last edited by metalbender; 16th May 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 16th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900 2.3 Coupé

Quote:
Yes, Ed, the side bolsters are in much better shape. I can see metal through the hole in my current seat back, the foam is gone, gone, gone. So, the old seat is toast.

But, I have a whole seat. Are the seat belt mounts plug and play? Because the one end for the three door must be on the B pillar, while the five door mounts the the seat itself. Is it really that easy to swap?

Oh, BTW, I meant the the Torx bolts holding the back and bottom together. I have both sets of rails, the current seat will come right out. Just haven't had the time yet.
I wasn't aware of the seat belt mounting position in the five-doors. In my opinion, this is a fatal problem, unless there is actually some place on the B-pillar of the five-door to attach the seat belt. There is probably a heavy-duty stop on the five-door seats to keep them upright. However on the coupe the seats must be able to fold forward. While there is a reasonably positive latch, I doubt it's designed to withstand the forces you'd see in a crash.

I tried to take the hinge bolts apart myself, and soon gave up. (I was trying to troubleshoot failed seat heat.)

Time for a trip to the junkyard.
Old 16th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 V6 SE, 99 S Coupe, 01 SE Vert

Quote:

Not sure if the seat frames are interchangeable, but for sure, the basic dimensions are the same. I suspect the basic components are also the same, just the hinge assemblies differ.

I've installed a set of leather upholstery and foam from a 9-5 4 door into a 9-3 3 door. The foam and leather fits perfectly.

Just have to open up a couple wire rings and get the upper guides for the head rests off the seat.

Yea, those are fairly large torx bolts, they have a spot of thread lock on them to complicate things but I've not really had any problems with them either.
Old 16th May 2012
SaabNut!

Done. 3 door seats work in a 5 door car. Total plug and play. The main part is the seat belt mount for the 5 door. Mounts just like the seat belt buckle on the other side, both are canted under the seat at around 45 degrees. Seems like it sits a smidge higher. But it sure is nice to have back bolsters!

Took a while to break it loose, those T-40s have red thread locker on 'em. I wasn't about to heat it up, for fear that I light the seat on fire! Thanks for the responses.

Next up: window regulator....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement