help...my saaby is broke help asap - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th May 2012

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 aero
Unhappy help...my saaby is broke help asap

hi. i have had quite a few problems with my saab..but recently its sputtering when trying to get it to cut on..i realized today that i have a tear in the hose that goes from the engine to the radiator ( the kinda of fat one) is this jus a tear or is it possible that its a pressure build up? my fan stays on for periods of time after i cut my car off..and im jus looking for advice. do u think my thermostat is sticking and that whats caused the hose to split???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: Elskerinne..'02 Saab 9-5 HBSaabs stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysaabiscrazy View Post
hi. i have had quite a few problems with my saab..but recently its sputtering when trying to get it to cut on..i realized today that i have a tear in the hose that goes from the engine to the radiator ( the kinda of fat one) is this jus a tear or is it possible that its a pressure build up? my fan stays on for periods of time after i cut my car off..and im jus looking for advice. do u think my thermostat is sticking and that whats caused the hose to split???
you mean the intercooler hose? yeah that would definitely cause starting troubles. replace it asap and dont try and drive your car with it split open
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2.3T HO Manual

Take a photo and post it here, if you don't have a camera, find a friend or relative who can help you, then have them help you post it here..
You don't to drive a car with split or cracked hoses.
Old 14th May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5

Where in NJ are you. If you are nearby I will take a look if you want. PM me or tell me here how to reach you if you want help....
Old 15th May 2012

i live in bloomfield..my cell is 434.713.1673 my name is louis feel free to call
Old 15th May 2012

replaced the upper radiator hose and bought a thermostat..but am unsure of where the thermostat housing is...i also realized i have about an inch crack in the plastic of my radiator. im going to buy some epoxy today and attempt to fix it it..but there must be an underlying problem..matter fact when i crank the car water comes out of the crack more profusely what could this be?
Old 15th May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 X3, '00 9-3,'98 900
Garage
Default Thermostat is in the bell housing.

Thermostat is in the bell housing where the upper radiator hose is connected. You have to move the mess of wires as much as you can to get to the bolts. It is on the drivers side on the back side of the engine. Your thermostat sounds like it is stuck closed you need to get that replaced. I tried repairing the radiator with epoxy but it didn't work. Here is a solution but I haven't tried it?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fixing-a-cars-radiator/

Here is another solution make sure you pay attention to make sure the crack is dry part or it will not work.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/pla...astic-radiator
Old 16th May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5

Crazy. You are about an hour away. A little far for me to come check it out. Not sure trying to repair the cracked radiator is going yield good results....

Good luck.
Old 17th May 2012

ok..i found the thermostat and replaced it and it did seem to be sort of stuck closed..i jump started my car and finally got it to cut on but the crack in my radiator was spewing water and there was a lil bit of white smoke coming out of my muffler..i cut my car off and it wouldnt crank back up wats the posssiblilities?? could it be a bad DIC??
Old 17th May 2012

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SportCombi Aero, 2001 9-5 2.3t

First off, if there's coolant spewing from your radiator, you need to get it fixed or replaced before you can go anywhere or you'll run out of coolant and overheat your engine.

But it sounds to me like you might have a blown head gasket, as white smoke in the exhaust can be a signal that coolant is leaking into the cylinders. It would also make it hard to start, and if you had overheated your engine (from a stuck thermostat or bad coolant sensor) it could damage the head gasket causing a leak.

I believe another reason for white smoke is if your turbo is bad. I'm not the person to ask on how to fix this though.

One more thing... you should probably replace your coolant temperature sensor as well, as I just had a problem with it causing my engine to overheat because it was reading low. This part is much easier to replace than the thermostat.

Oh, and make sure you connected the ground cable to the thermostat housing correctly; if it's a bad connection it can prevent the car from starting (I just had this happen yesterday)
Old 17th May 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 2.3l 00 9-5 3.0, 88 900 2dr 2l

I would agree with Ducka.. To burst the hose and or crack radiator means that it most likely overheated and your blew the head gasket and hopefully not the head.
I think you are up against a list of things.
Check compression, visually check if you can see any leaks around head.
Slight chance your head bolts are loose but if so and if you overheated you should change the head gasket anyway.
1973 Sonett Gone but not forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement