FMIC and turbo upgrade - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th May 2012

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5
Default FMIC and turbo upgrade

For a number of reasons I decided that this is the time. Between craigslist, some buddies, and two or three junkyards, I've managed to pick up some really fine goodies. I'll post a slew of pictures as soon as I manage them into proper order. This one's a teaser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FMIC dryfit.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	29418
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: Elskerinne..'02 Saab 9-5 Mike D stage 2

That looks like a full 3" Delivery pipe to the throtle body...Me thinks thats a biit much and you will find the car/turbo scavenging and having trouble to fill that void. If I remember correctly, Nick over at GS said the stock piping is good up to some 400HP. Even a 2.5" delivery pipe would suffice, but 3" may be a bit too large.

of course if you change your turbo and upgrade a bunch of other things then disregard my comment .

Looks good none the less, Curious though as to why you mounted it with the side pips at the top rather than the bottom. Seems you already routed everything, but I always thought it was easier from the bottom side. Very interesting
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: 03 Aero Wagon 5 spd, 85 turbo 3dr 5 spd

wow, I'm looking forward to seeing this car up in NH on saturday!
Old 14th May 2012

It's 2.5" piping. I'm dryfitting everything first, so the orientation of things is still up in the air. The reason I went with up on the IC sides is that it takes only three pieces of tubing on the throttle body side and two on the turbo side this way versus four and three the other way. Less corners = better air movement.

The plan is to go big. I have some really nice options to go with, but for the time being I'm going to stick with a TD04 with the stock manifold, the FMIC, red injectors, a 3.5 bar FPR, open intake, 3" turbo back exhaust, and of course some tuning from a local fellow recommended on here. Since the auto tranny can't reliably handle more than 400nM torque, I'll swap that out at some point and then go nuts. I'm leaning towards a Garrett GT35 and... we'll see.

Edit: roughly 300 Lb/ft

Last edited by finwick; 14th May 2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 14th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
wow, I'm looking forward to seeing this car up in NH on saturday!
I may not be all prettied up by then, but it sure will be running good.
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Who cares about pretty... as long as she's running right!

I haven't talked to Mike D, but I'm curious if he might make it on the cruise or if he's got plans for Carlisle? I will have to drop him a line

Tank, you should come over on Saturday for the cruise as well if you're not busy.
Old 14th May 2012

Quote:
Form and function, Cark. Well known fact: a pretty car runs better.
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by finwick View Post
I may not be all prettied up by then, but it sure will be running good.
Running good should always be top priotrity looking good comes when your driving and flying buy everyone else

Quote:

I haven't talked to Mike D, but I'm curious if he might make it on the cruise or if he's got plans for Carlisle? I will have to drop him a line

Tank, you should come over on Saturday for the cruise as well if you're not busy.
Cruise? I always get stuck working Saturdays cause my supervisor is on an ultimate Frisbee team
Old 14th May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-5

do you have to do anything to the engine internals to upgrade the turbo ? i have an open air intake full 3" exhaust and getting the FMIC then a tune and was also looking at the turbo upgrade
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTak View Post
Cruise? I always get stuck working Saturdays cause my supervisor is on an ultimate Frisbee team
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231368

that's pretty lame, having to cover so someone can play the frizz... tell him you've got something going on and it's his turn to cover your ***!
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisJ View Post
do you have to do anything to the engine internals to upgrade the turbo ? i have an open air intake full 3" exhaust and getting the FMIC then a tune and was also looking at the turbo upgrade
nope, but if you intend to go really big with a turbo and make seriously crazy power (310ish wph+) you will need to upgrade your pistons. My 9-5 aero is basically stock hardware but my turbo was on its way out so I upgraded to an 18t with the 6cm turbine housing. This give me a lot more top end and gives me more room for modding down the road. Eventually I'll get a 3" dp and a 3.5 fpr and a retune, but for now it runs great with the Mike D tune I had done before the swap. I'm almost a bit afraid of how the car will be once I complete the mods listed above
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231368

that's pretty lame, having to cover so someone can play the frizz... tell him you've got something going on and it's his turn to cover your ***!
Compromise was I get Tuesdays off and he has saturday. I got fire department training so I need that day off, at the time it all worked out because we had enough help. But now were down to a crew of three so we all have to stretch our times out at work which means working and doing whatever we have to until we can hire more people. Really a shame but its whatever, I need my job so I'll deal with it for the time being
Quote:
nope, but if you intend to go really big with a turbo and make seriously crazy power (310ish wph+) you will need to upgrade your pistons. My 9-5 aero is basically stock hardware but my turbo was on its way out so I upgraded to an 18t with the 6cm turbine housing. This give me a lot more top end and gives me more room for modding down the road. Eventually I'll get a 3" dp and a 3.5 fpr and a retune, but for now it runs great with the Mike D tune I had done before the swap. I'm almost a bit afraid of how the car will be once I complete the mods listed above
I have a 19T that I got for a hell of a price, JZW sent me a message and said if I tune I would be looking at a mild stage 4, short of reworking the engine. Let me tell you I cannot wait for that tune. heck even a stage 1/2 would make me smile haha. You guys with tunes must be having so much fun im jealous, lol
Old 14th May 2012

Okay folks. So. Everything is pretty well buttoned up. Tomorrow afternoon is my sanity check, lines and pipes check, torques and fluids, test run, and final buttoning up. Total damage to the wallet isn't too bad. Between the junkyards, buddies and craigslist, I've managed to get the turbo (TD04 from a 2000 Aero), FMIC (JDM), tubes (2.5" mandrel bent aluminum), clamps (the good ones), fittings (silicone), and all the fiddly bits for about $350... for all of it... My brother is going to freak out. He said I'd have to spend at least a thousand bucks for all the goodies. Ha!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FMIC final.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	29426

You were right Tank, it is easier with the IC ends down.

Time for a tune by Mike D.

Edit: The entire job took about 14 hours over three days (plus a couple of hours tomorrow). Finding the bits and pieces (especially the $100 turbo) took a few weeks.
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
all the fiddly bits for about $350... for all of it...
Attachment 29426

You were right Tank, it is easier with the IC ends down.

Time for a tune by Mike D.
Dude, you are the man for getting all that for 350....wish I had that kinda luck and time to source all that. The junk yards around here scarecly have any Saab's. Glad it all worked out for you. What kind of tune are you getting? and how much does Mike D charge?
Old 14th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTak View Post
Dude, you are the man for getting all that for 350....wish I had that kinda luck and time to source all that. The junk yards around here scarecly have any Saab's. Glad it all worked out for you. What kind of tune are you getting? and how much does Mike D charge?
Tank, it just takes patience and a bit of legwork. Just as an example:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/3007248630.html

versus:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ptd/2978219566.html

Junkyard hunts are fun. Just call one up and ask if they have SAABs, then mosey on over and start looking. Most yards are open on Saturdays for a few hours, so if you find a good candidate for scavenging, make a note and come back (or go to town if time permits). Chat up the counter folks. They know more than one would expect. Prts from many other years will fit your Linear. Research, read, then research some more, and, finally, read a whole lot more. Then pull the trigger.

I'll be getting a Stage 3ish tune and Mike D charges what he charges. At this point (going on the cheapo) I'll try to talk him into a few beers and some good stories, maybe a song or two... Alas, life being real, I'll find out what I'll have to spend. Don't know yet, and didn't ask.
Old 14th May 2012

Just as an exercise in mental games, I today found a running 1996 B234R engine with a 5-speed manual for $500... Looks like another long weekend coming up...
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

B234/B235 hybrid is a nice setup for high HP... man you've got some serious motivation on your hands, haha.

My 9-5 has been put on the back burner a bit now that I've got my 85 900 turbo. That is my summer car vs. the 9-5 being my "work car" and full of all my tools. I need to spend a few bucks and do a few things to the 85 before I can shift back to focusing on the Aero and get that damn DP i've been waiting for.
Old 14th May 2012

Quote:
B234/B235 hybrid is a nice setup for high HP... man you've got some serious motivation on your hands, haha.
Yes, Cark. I do. This is my new toy. The no balancers, forged crank, and all around stronger bottom end on the B234 just kind of floats my boat. Add to it a good 5 speed, an LSD, and 25 to 30 lbs of boost and what do you get? A car that looks like mom's grocery wagon or dad's executive ride that will eat Corvettes. I'm expecting around 300 HP with my current setup. I wouldn't think that 650 or 700 would be too unreasonable...

If I can get 300 with $350, what could I do with the grand, or more, that my brother expected?
Old 14th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Yes, Cark. I do. This is my new toy. The no balancers, forged crank, and all around stronger bottom end on the B234 just kind of floats my boat. Add to it a good 5 speed, an LSD, and 25 to 30 lbs of boost and what do you get? A car that looks like mom's grocery wagon or dad's executive ride that will eat Corvettes. I'm expecting around 300 HP with my current setup. I wouldn't think that 650 or 700 would be too unreasonable...

If I can get 300 with $350, what could I do with the grand, or more, that my brother expected?
dude, you motivate me to get off my **** and start looking haha. Gotta find a yard that will allow me to search and pick parts myself as most I know around me only stock what they need and crush the rest. Also, I would love to get a tune that puts me in the 300HP range...thats plenty for me. Now time to source a new fmic
Old 15th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Fin, you need to look up daveship's 9-5 build. He was right around or maybe a bit over 500whp for a bit, but started blowing up transmissions left and right... after his 3rd or 4th I think he detuned the car back down to around the mid 400's for power. Unless you want to put upwards of $5000 into a trans, you will be limited But 450ish is not out of the question I don't think

There is always going to be a weakest link

Oh, and B234 also has balance shafts, although many people remove them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement