check engine light on then off - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9/3 Convertible
Question check engine light on then off

Has anyone ever had the check engine light come on for a few days then go off for a few days then come back on again? This has been the cycle on my 9/3 Saab for the past 2 weeks. every time I get a chance to investigate the light it goes off, then in about 2 days it comes back on. Everything is working fine in the car, I just can't figure out the engine light coming on and off. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900 turbo SE, 5MT
Garage

Perhaps something is marginal and intermittently exceeding parameter limits. Try putting an OBDII scanner on it and getting a code out of it and that should point you in the direction of the problem.
Old 14th May 2012

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 SE Turbo Convertible

This has happened to me about 4 times now and when I bring it to Auto Zone to have the code checked it is the oxygen sensor. Just last week my light came on (I had almost no gas if that matters), I filled the tank, and when it got to a 1/2 tank a few days later the light went off.
Old 14th May 2012

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3

I had an intermittent- turned out to be the DIC slowly going bad. Eventually it turned into a hard failure. If possible, run diagnostics at your local parts store when the light is on.
Old 14th May 2012

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2009 93 SC, 2000 93 Viggen

Just went through that with my Viggen, it was a bad thermostat.
Old 14th May 2012
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkydismal View Post
Just went through that with my Viggen, it was a bad thermostat.
The light was on today when I came home, if the light is still on tomorrow I will go to advance auto parts or autozone down here and have them check for codes. Can theses auto stores run a thorough diagnostic, do they have the equipment to run a complete diagnostic? I thought you needed a tech II for this? Thanks for the info. Joel
Old 16th May 2012
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel96 View Post
The light was on today when I came home, if the light is still on tomorrow I will go to advance auto parts or autozone down here and have them check for codes. Can theses auto stores run a thorough diagnostic, do they have the equipment to run a complete diagnostic? I thought you needed a tech II for this? Thanks for the info. Joel
OK here is the code for my check engine light. P0340 this says cam sensor position. Does anyone know if this is serious? The light continues to come and go not sure what is going on. What does the cam sensor position code mean and how do I correct it? Thanks, Joel
Old 17th May 2012

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: '01 Black Viggen Vert

iirc the sensor is at the driver side (US) end of the cam closest to the cabin. Wherever it is, I'd check that it is clean and well connected (wires to plugs and plugs to each other) before throwing replacement parts at it. It could be the sensor but try the cheap/easy fix first...
'92 Pathfinder Modified
Prosperity, SC, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement