Oil cooler lines ...which side??? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th April 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1994 Saab 9000 CSE
Default Oil cooler lines ...which side???

Hello ...me again. One of my last jobs in completing my engine reinstall is hooking up the oil cooler lines at the oil filter housing. I thought the connections were different sizes in order to dummy-proof them, but they're the same size. I'm not sure which side the short and long lines hook to. Mama said there would be days like this.

Anyone happen to know a place to get a replacement line or possibly a custom line made (braided stainless steel)? They are in "not available" status at Saabsite.com

Last edited by Tony Rome; 19th April 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th April 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1989 saab 9000 1992 9000 1993 9000

Around here we have some hydraulic shops that repair big truck and logging/earthmoving equipment hydraulic lines. I take my old Saab ones or triumph brake lines in and they replicate new ones with their crippling and bending equipment. I had my trany lines done on the Saab for 25.00. Anyway shop around your area for commercial trucking repair. they just need the fittings
Old 22nd April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 97 9000 02 9-5, 04 9-5

I am not sure if that is what you are asking, but the longer oil cooler ends at the fitting nearest the oil filter.

I have no experience myself but I heard others recommend using a hydraulic shop to create "new" lines (reusing the ends) can be a qualify cost effective solution.
Old 23rd April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: sorted 9K Aero 1993, 9000R, 454 GMC

Thin if you try them they will only fit one way; from memory the longer one goes up top.

TBH though I doublt it makes much difference, under oil pump pressure, going to go thru the oil radiator, important thing here = no leaks. Most the hoses OEM I've seen are in bad shape, I'm doing an engine rebuild like you have done & am going the hyd hose shop rebuild route.
Old 23rd April 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1994 Saab 9000 CSE

Thanks for the help everyone! I believe I have this sorted out now. I was confused as to which line goes to the connection closest to he oil filter (answered above). I didn't want to get the lines reversed.

Yep, I'm going to build some custom lines, although my existing lines are in good shape. I just had one line with a male connection that was frozen. It would not spin to allow me to screw it into the oil filter housing. I hosed it down with PB Blaster and let it soak overnight. Then I took an impact gun (w/ deep wall 22mm socket) to it and gave it a few hundred spins to break up the rust. It works fine now.
Old 30th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: sorted 9K Aero 1993, 9000R, 454 GMC

[QUOTE=Tony Rome;2184080]Thanks for the help everyone! I believe I have this sorted out now. I was confused as to which line goes to the connection closest to he oil filter (answered above). I didn't want to get the lines reversed.

/QUOTE]

Pulled an engine last week, and can confirm that as you look at the engine from the front or oil filter/exhaust side, the pipe on the RIGHT side of the oil filter goes to the TOP of the oil cooler.

No special pressure here, so any decent braided hose will work for a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement