turbo upgrade on a 9-3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th April 2012

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1999 White 9-3
Garage
Default turbo upgrade on a 9-3

Hey all, I have a 1999 9-3, and recently acquired a TD04 turbocharger for it. I already have the necessary components to install it, but a friend told me that it would blow up my motor at 2.5k rpms... It's a TD04 19T, and where I bought it, said it FITS and WORKS WITH my 1999 9-3. any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3 2 door (Full pressure)

not sure if he mean "blow up" as a good thing? should spool super qucik and hit a good amount of boost at 2.5k rpms. but if he means blow up blowp up, then he doesnt know what hes talking about. our motors a=can hold stupid amounts of boost and power (i also have a 99 9-3). with the proper tune, downpipe and intake/intercooler set up you should make around 325-350 hp. maybe your buddy is jealous?
Old 17th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1995 Saab 900 S

You are going to need quite a few pieces of additional hardware to run a 19t, but most importantly, you will want to upgrade your suspension if you haven't already (6-pt subframe brace, steering rack clamp, poly bushings, and ARB to name a few). You'll also want to be sure that everything else on your engine is in excellent condition.

Off the top of my head you will then need the following hardware (correct me if I'm wrong or forget anything):
-injectors and fuel pump
-3in tbe
-clutch and pressure plate
-FMIC
-and of course a tune to manage it all

Theres a thread out there somewhere that lists details about all of these parts, but I can't seem to find it right now...

EDIT: Found the thread here.

Last edited by shaner3721; 17th April 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 17th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

Is this a china turbo, and what is the hot side?
Old 17th April 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 Viggen e85 tuned... 378whp ~ 400lbtq

By looking at your list of mods you currently have done to your car, you are no where near ready to put a turbo like that in your car...

I would see if someone has a td04-15t and swap them, if your car doesn't already have one... Is yours a 99 9-3 se?

(edit: just saw yours is a base model and not an SE, so yea go with a 15t)

Or if you wanna keep the 19t start purchasing all the stuff on shaner3721's list...

Last edited by byastremski; 17th April 2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: saw his car was a base not an se
Old 17th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 V6 SE, 99 S Coupe, 01 SE Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehockstad View Post
Hey all, I have a 1999 9-3, and recently acquired a TD04 turbocharger for it. It's a TD04 19T, and where I bought it, said it FITS and WORKS WITH my 1999 9-3. any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by byastremski View Post
I would see if someone has a td04-15t and swap them, if your car doesn't already have one... Is yours a 99 9-3 se?

(edit: just saw yours is a base model and not an SE, so yea go with a 15t)

Or if you wanna keep the 19t start purchasing all the stuff on shaner3721's list...
The TD04-19T is a good step up from the Garret T25 you've got in your '99 9-3, the 15T would be quite similar to the T25 so it'd not make any sense.

I think the biggest fitment difference between the T25 and 19T is going to be the size of the oil and coolant line connections. If I remember correctly, the 19T's fittings are smaller than the T25 so some creativity is needed to re-use the existent piping. Other than that, you'll have some challenges with the inlet and outlet piping on the compressor side of the compressor.

As others have noted, to really get any positive effect from the 19T, you'll need to re-tune the ECU and install a larger exhaust on the car. To maximize the effects, you'll need a higher flow fuel pump, bigger fuel injectors and perhaps a different MAP sensor with yet a different tune for the ECU.
Old 17th April 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9.5 Aero Wagon

Quote:
By looking at your list of mods you currently have done to your car, you are no where near ready to put a turbo like that in your car...
....supporting mods before you just slap the turbo on and expect power.
Old 18th April 2012

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3SE

Minimally you NEED these:

Some sort of intake (even a K&N panel filter will be better)
Turbo back exhaust (3" Downpipe to some other cat back)
Upgraded intercooler (even a viggen IC, which you don't have, will not suffice for the 19t)

Upgraded fuel injectors
Upgraded fuel pump to handle the injectors and increased demand
A new tune for your ECU to tell everything what the hell to do.

Now while suspension/brakes are not NEEDED, it would be stupid to put that much power into a chassis that can't handle it well.
Old 18th April 2012
Saab Crazy

all i was saying was that you can go to a 15t which is a hands down better turbo than a stock t25...

it also does not require tons of mods to get better power...

and allows you to slowly modify your car so you dont have to dump stupid amounts of money into it all at once..

basically a 19t is a no go on a stock car...
Old 18th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Vig BCB Stg2+

Yup get the supporting mods in. Then with that turbo it will be a fun ride.

Then come see me about a tune. Did we talk on the phone yesterday?
Brew City Boost on Facebook
Old 18th April 2012

Join Date: Aug 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1998 900S, 2000 Viggen

I second what everyone else posted about supporting mods. And if it's a Chinese knockoff from eBay, I'd think twice about using this turbo at all. Some people have had no problems with them, but others have had some spectacular failures. I saw one picture where the guy's turbo housing was split completely in half.
Old 18th April 2012

My Saabs: 1999 93

Quote:
all i was saying was that you can go to a 15t which is a hands down better turbo than a stock t25...

it also does not require tons of mods to get better power...

and allows you to slowly modify your car so you dont have to dump stupid amounts of money into it all at once..

basically a 19t is a no go on a stock car...
Wow I'm glad to hear that the 15t is hands down better than the stock t25. i just got a 15t and will be installing it next week. I do have a 3" down pipe w/cat, Magnaflow straight thru muffler, K&N air fliter system, Eibach pro springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks. 22mm rear anti-sway bar,bov, and a steering rack clamp. Will my ECU need upgraded or am I ok?
Old 18th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance0013 View Post
Wow I'm glad to hear that the 15t is hands down better than the stock t25. i just got a 15t and will be installing it next week. I do have a 3" down pipe w/cat, Magnaflow straight thru muffler, K&N air fliter system, Eibach pro springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks. 22mm rear anti-sway bar,bov, and a steering rack clamp. Will my ECU need upgraded or am I ok?
Yes it will.
Old 18th April 2012
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance0013 View Post
I would have already done an upgraded ecu, if it were my car!!! Make sure you've got a crossflow intercooler on there if you don't already, (didn't see it listed).

The 15t is built a better than the t25 and is a bit more reliable with a little bit better top end...

Another really good idea when your car gets tuned, get the ecu modded for a T7 bpc, i noticed a good change with turbo response vs. the T5...
Old 19th April 2012

My Saabs: 1999 93

Quote:
I would have already done an upgraded ecu, if it were my car!!! Make sure you've got a crossflow intercooler on there if you don't already, (didn't see it listed).

The 15t is built a better than the t25 and is a bit more reliable with a little bit better top end...

Another really good idea when your car gets tuned, get the ecu modded for a T7 bpc, i noticed a good change with turbo response vs. the T5...
Thanks for the info. I don't have a crossflow intercooler yet but I will now that I know it will make my car better. Also the ecu is in the works as well now that it's needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement