Police radar cloaking device - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th April 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS, '08 9-5 SC
Default Police radar cloaking device

I've been using a police radar cloaking device that is standard on Saab cars that has kept me from getting speeding tickets for the last 10 years. With just the flip of a switch no cop radar can see the car, but Saab has mislabeled it as "Cruise Control".

Here's how it works. Nobody but blue-haired old ladies drive the speed limit on the highways, while everyone else has something to prove, mostly to themselves, so I set the "Cruise Control" to my local highway speed limit of 65 mph, stay one lane to the left of the far right lane where cars or entering and exiting, and lollygag down the road making everyone else drive around me in the other two left lanes. Yeah, I'm "That Guy". It may take another 5-10 minutes to get where I'm going but there's no more white-knuckles on the wheel, no cursing at the idiot who won't let me pass, or the fancy driving of my youth. I'm also usually hauling my two young kids to keep my foot off the gas.

Anyhow, I get where I'm going with much less stress, no speeding tickets, and I get to listen to another song on the iPod with the time I lose not racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th April 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 99 93 stg.3
Default OH try that in Europe theill run you off the road.

And eventualy youill kill someone or get killed because your blocking the passing lane!!!!
Old 7th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: Down to one, an 87 900 Turbo

I am hoping your highways are more than 2 lanes in each direction.

I usually travel 5 mph over.

My big question is.. on classic 900s.. I have had three.. all of them had CC stalks, but no cruise.. what's up with that?
1996 BMW 318 Ti Sport
Old 7th April 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 99 93 stg.3
Default re

NO,most of our highways are just little trails hacked out of the ice. They go from igloo to igloo! CRAZY CANUCK
Old 7th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-5 Aero Wagon 5-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smut View Post
And eventualy youill kill someone or get killed because your blocking the passing lane!!!!
OP said that he cruises in the number 3 lane while the number 1 (far left) lane is for passing.

I've been doing something similar on my daily work commute. It's 27 miles of 4-lane (2 each way) interstate travel with a 65 mph limit. I set the cruise at 70 in the right lane and it's just a breeze getting to work.

I used to haul butt to work, averaging over 80 mph, but in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really save much time and led to a lot of frustration with oblivious/ignorant slow-pokes cruising in the left lane. Not to mention it cost a lot more in fuel. Now I just leave 5 minutes earlier and everything goes much smoother.
Old 7th April 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900s

Nothing wrong with the posted speed limit. I have no problem cruising along the 400 towards Toronto at 100km/h but on that highway it is almost suicide to use the center lane for those shenanigans.
Old 7th April 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-5 Combi, 99 9-3 Viggen, 85 900 SPG

I use the far better SR-71 approach. I am usually at mach 3 or above so I can be in Canada before the staty even turns the crown vic around.

You decide.
Old 7th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '99 Viggen

You do know that a Saab is pretty invisible as it is, right? My Viggen is loud and cops dont even look twice. Theres no way that a Saab could be going fast.
Old 7th April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2000 Stg4 9-3 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
You do know that a Saab is pretty invisible as it is, right? My Viggen is loud and cops dont even look twice. Theres no way that a Saab could be going fast.
Couldn't agree more. With nothing but a flow through muffler on 3" pipe Its quite loud. Getting on the highway WOT- statie parked a few hundred feet down the on ramp, once I saw him I obviously continued normally and quietly and he was looking all over for the car that had made all the noise coming around the on ramp. Didn't even think twice about my Saab vert making that kind of noise
Old 8th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3 Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
I use the far better SR-71 approach. I am usually at mach 3 or above so I can be in Canada before the staty even turns the crown vic around.

You decide.
I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my gaskets from leaking when going subsonic, how'd you do it?! BTW Nice photo.
Old 8th April 2012
Saabista

My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Gwilliam View Post
Nothing wrong with the posted speed limit. I have no problem cruising along the 400 towards Toronto at 100km/h but on that highway it is almost suicide to use the center lane for those shenanigans.
Yeesh! GTA minimum speed is 140 km/h!
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 8th April 2012

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9│ 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t View Post
EH !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Old 9th April 2012

Quote:
It does get a bit crazy at times like when you have to go 160km/h just to go with the flow and if you drop down to 140 people are honking and flipping you off. But first snowfall of the year. Literally less than 3cm of snow and everybody drops down to 40km/h.
Old 9th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9⁵ Aero "Griffin" JZW⁵
Garage

Quote:
It does get a bit crazy at times like when you have to go 160km/h just to go with the flow and if you drop down to 140 people are honking and flipping you off. But first snowfall of the year. Literally less than 3cm of snow and everybody drops down to 40km/h.
what's a km/h?

Old 9th April 2012
Saabista

My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
It's always odd when I'm there because I am just following the traffic instead of passing everyone like normal
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 9th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarelibra View Post
what's a km/h?

LOL. It's weird because my 900s only has km/h. 160 would be about 100m/h and 140 would be about 87. Pretty much times your mph by 1.6 and it will give you a pretty good answer.

I know you are just joking around but I figured I would put it up anyways.
Old 9th April 2012

Quote:
It's always odd when I'm there because I am just following the traffic instead of passing everyone like normal
I know sometimes I look down at the speedo and gasp " I am going how fast?!?" With the police cruising along with the rest of us.
Old 9th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9⁵ Aero "Griffin" JZW⁵
Garage

Quote:
LOL. It's weird because my 900s only has km/h. 160 would be about 100m/h and 140 would be about 87. Pretty much times your mph by 1.6 and it will give you a pretty good answer.

I know you are just joking around but I figured I would put it up anyways.
I did that calculation back in 2001/2002 when I was in Germany driving a Saab with km/h only and I wanted to find out what 240 km/h translated into (gotta LOVE the Autobahn!)
Old 11th April 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9│ 'vert

I've been driving the same the last few years... 5-7mph over on the highway, maybe 4-5 on local roads. I see many more local cops with radar than staties where I am, and the staties only want the high rollers, so local roads are actually more of a concern for tickets.

I also hang at least 100 feet back on the highway, and a fair distance on local roads too. The .05 second faster arrival when driving on someone's bumper doesn't seem to make a big difference in my schedule and it's much more relaxing to have extra distance to stop when traffic suddenly slows down.

If you actually do the math, the difference in a higher speed, unless you're driving a long way, is beyond trivial. The difference in "enjoying the ride" is far greater.
Old 11th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 SS Aero BSR (RIP). 2012 Wrangler

My Saab's speedometer also reads a little on the optimistic side. It'll say I'm doing 70 when I'm actually closer to 66 (MPH). Another 'safety' device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement