New Saab Owner...random questions - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd April 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3 Arc 2.0T
Default New Saab Owner...random questions

I recently purchased a used 04 9-3 Arc and had a few questions come up that I couldn't get answered using the search function. I am quite anal about my cars (even used ones) and want everything in pristine condition and totally functional. I am in the process of replacing the radio, HVAC, and info unit just due to worn buttons. I'd like to know what these random electrical connectors are for:

Right rear trunk...

Also, the shifter plate is peeling and I can't find any threads on how to fix it. You can see the temporary fix was a marker.

Thanks for any help, I look forward to contributing to this forum alot.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...IMAG0785-1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Aero Vtune stage 0 rev 2

I'm not 100% on that first one but I would imagine it might be a connector for the lights on a trailer...

The second pic is the connector for the heated seats.

As for the gear selector plate, I believe thesaabsite carries the panel and would be a straight replacement. They also make dash kits that have a cover for that piece. It is removable (pop off the wood trim gear surround, the one screw at the back of the plate and just lift it off and carefully disconnect the various connectors and paint it. Or you can go the route I chose and just fit a leather (or in my case vinyl) boot around the gear lever.
Old 2nd April 2012
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 2004 9-3 arc sedan
Garage

I think the first is for the fuel door lock...
Old 2nd April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansaab27 View Post
I'm not 100% on that first one but I would imagine it might be a connector for the lights on a trailer...

The second pic is the connector for the heated seats.

As for the gear selector plate, I believe thesaabsite carries the panel and would be a straight replacement. They also make dash kits that have a cover for that piece. It is removable (pop off the wood trim gear surround, the one screw at the back of the plate and just lift it off and carefully disconnect the various connectors and paint it. Or you can go the route I chose and just fit a leather (or in my case vinyl) boot around the gear lever.
Thanks for the input. My heated seats seem to be working fine, so I'm not sure if that is the misc. connection from the engine bay. I'd thought about painting the shifter plate, but wasn't sure I'd be able to do so without painting over some of the lettering. I'll check the Saabsite though.

Old 2nd April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosaab View Post
I think the first is for the fuel door lock...
Thanks. I wasn't aware that was an option as mine does not have it. There appear to be 2 connectors there. Would the fuel door lock use both?

Old 2nd April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: Jet Black 2005 9-3 2.0t L

I checked on the Wis and picture 1 appeared to be for the alarm siren
Old 2nd April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk059320t View Post
I checked on the Wis and picture 1 appeared to be for the alarm siren
Odd. Is that a standard option? I accidentally triggered my alarm yesterday and it worked (horn honked). Is something disconnected or is this just not an option on my car?

Old 2nd April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: Jet Black 2005 9-3 2.0t L

I don't think so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows XP Professional-2012-04-02-12-20-18.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	28566  
Old 2nd April 2012

My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc

I also noticed the disconnected plug in photo 2 in my '04 Arc as I was changing the power steering pump seal this weekend. Would be curious to hear what it's for. The one in the trunk (photo 1) is disconnected on mine as well. I have the alarm going off randomly, so I'm curious if it is alarm related or fuel door related.

Also based on photo 2, it looks like you have the same leaky seal in the PS pump (oil/hydraulic fluid spilling out the top), so seek out the How-To on that...
Old 3rd April 2012
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady

1st i'd say gas cap cover lock and siren

2nd is the reverse lamp switch connector for mt

3rd carbon fibre wrap it,or similar

ICM3 13sp system now with bluetooth audio streaming..
Old 3rd April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerxce View Post
I also noticed the disconnected plug in photo 2 in my '04 Arc as I was changing the power steering pump seal this weekend. Would be curious to hear what it's for. The one in the trunk (photo 1) is disconnected on mine as well. I have the alarm going off randomly, so I'm curious if it is alarm related or fuel door related.

Also based on photo 2, it looks like you have the same leaky seal in the PS pump (oil/hydraulic fluid spilling out the top), so seek out the How-To on that...
Thanks for the advice. The place I bought it from says they replaced the power steering pump reservoir. I think the fluid is residual, but maybe not. Do you think they would've replaced the seal along with the reservoir?

Old 3rd April 2012

My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
Thanks for the advice. The place I bought it from says they replaced the power steering pump reservoir. I think the fluid is residual, but maybe not. Do you think they would've replaced the seal along with the reservoir?
The seal that needs replacing is in the PS pump, not the reservoir. You may want to just keep an eye on it. If you notice fluid on the top of the reservoir around the cap, and the reservoir looks overfilled with dark fluid (not the blue/green that the PS fluid is supposed to be), then the PS pump seal is leaking engine oil into the PS pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement