CIM module?? HELP- PLEASE - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th March 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3
Exclamation CIM module?? HELP- PLEASE

I am new to this forums and REALLY NEED HELP. Bought my teenager a 2004 Saab 9-3. Developed a clicking noise when turning steering wheel. Dealer said needed a new CIM module which are hard to find. Got one, but now they say they need to know if it is sim tech 71.6 or T81PSG16. They say they can't program new CIM without this information. Everyone I have asked said there is just one part- part number 12805196.
I really need some help because car is really not drivable at this point. Everything works, but clicking is constant now, and they say airbags could go bad.
Does anyone have any information that could help me.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th March 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saabless

If you go on youtube and search "airbag removal saab 9-3" there is a company that deals in CIMs for a fraction of the price @ dealer. You remove your CIM via removing airbag hence the video, and send it to them then they send you a new one programmed iirc. Never used them for thst just used the video to remove my airbag, but i filed it in my brain under "just in case my CIM fails" file. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Edit: i just went on Youtube theyre called Clearcom Technologies...

Cheers
Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by Saabless; 8th March 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 9th March 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 TiD Combi, #2 TiD Combi soon

Always get a second opinion. Dealers know of only one way to fix any problem and its usually the most new parts intensive expensive.

You can exchange the noisy clockspring section in your original with the one from the replacement and not have to go thru reprogramming a new CIM. The only reason a CIM really needs be changed is lost keys. Wiper, turn switches, clockspring and steering angle sensor can all be removed and replaced fairly easily.
Old 9th March 2012

Default Cim

The problem is I have already purchased the CIM module, and now the dealer says he doesn't know what version it is in order to program. Says he needs to know if it is a simtec 71.6 or a T81PSG16. I have talked to lots of other mechanics that say it should just be able to be programed. Is there a version since it is a 2004? Any one know anything about either of these codes??
Thanks!!!
Old 9th March 2012

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Linear, black, stock (for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbf View Post
The problem is I have already purchased the CIM module, and now the dealer says he doesn't know what version it is in order to program. Says he needs to know if it is a simtec 71.6 or a T81PSG16. I have talked to lots of other mechanics that say it should just be able to be programed. Is there a version since it is a 2004? Any one know anything about either of these codes??
Thanks!!!
i too have an 04 linear and just replaced my CIM module last month. Got it from goldwingsaab.com (located in NY) GREAT guys there and they really know their stuff! they found me a new CIM with 2 keys and put a one year warranty on it. Give them a call and see what they say! best of luck!

1 (800) SAAB-137 or (315) 668-5800
Fax: (315) 668-5805
Goldwing Saab
Rt. 11
Hastings, NY 13076
Old 10th March 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saabless

Quote:
Thanks!!!
Cant you return it? I mean its unprogrammed....maybe return it and call around and get the right one...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.com App
Old 10th March 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Aero, I4, MT6, Maptun Stage 1

Quote:
Thanks!!!
SIMTEC is the Siemens engine management system for the Saab 9-3ss 1.8i (1800cc non turbo).
Your car is definitely equipped with a Saab T8 engine management system (2.0 turbo).

Last edited by chris_de_ze; 10th March 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10th March 2012

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: Saab 93 1.8t Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlsabe View Post
Always get a second opinion. Dealers know of only one way to fix any problem and its usually the most new parts intensive expensive.

You can exchange the noisy clockspring section in your original with the one from the replacement and not have to go thru reprogramming a new CIM. The only reason a CIM really needs be changed is lost keys. Wiper, turn switches, clockspring and steering angle sensor can all be removed and replaced fairly easily.

I do have a problem with my ESP. And they said I have to buy a new CIM, they also said that the steering angle sensor is the problem why my ESP turns off, and you say I could only switch something out ow a older CIM without programing and new keys?
Old 10th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolo View Post
I do have a problem with my ESP. And they said I have to buy a new CIM, they also said that the steering angle sensor is the problem why my ESP turns off, and you say I could only switch something out ow a older CIM without programing and new keys?
If you get a used CIM is needs to come with at least one key from the car it was married too, then it can be used on your car. I have not heard of anyone not reprogramming their existing keys with a replacement CIM. hope this helps!
Old 10th March 2012

Yes I understand but I just want to find out if I only need to change the angle sensor if thats possible without changing the whole CIM to much money I thing
Old 10th March 2012

[QUOTE=stolo;2159060]Yes I understand but I just want to find out if I only need to change the angle sensor if thats possible without changing the whole CIM to much money I thing[/QUO

oh i see, and yes they are very expensive
Old 10th March 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 TiD Combi, #2 TiD Combi soon

Yes only the steering angle sensor can be changed. Also the turn and wiper switches as well as the clockspring.
Old 10th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlsabe View Post
Yes only the steering angle sensor can be changed. Also the turn and wiper switches as well as the clockspring.
and all this is inside the CIM ? Do I have to look for the same CIM as I have in my car or ?
Old 19th March 2012

Default CIM- Now steering column

Now the dealer says it wasn't the CIM, but needs a new steering column. They got one from salvage yard. Would you let your teen drive a car with a salvaged steering column- and mechanics that don't seem to know what they are doing???
Old 30th October 2012

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1994 Saab 900S, 2001 9-3 SE, 2003 9-3

A steering column from a salvaged car is fine. If its from a water damage salvage I probably wouldn't buy it, but other than that, there shouldn't be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement