Poor Acceleration, Low Boost, Wont Rev Past 2k RPM - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd March 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 01 Saab 9-5
Default Poor Acceleration, Low Boost, Wont Rev Past 2k RPM

Hello everyone,

Ive been searching through this site since I got my Saab and have found it very useful, and now I decided to join.

I have recently purchased a 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3T sedan with 79k miles. I got it from the original owner who kept great care of it, had all work done at the dealership and has every service record from day 1.

I have been driving it now for nearly 3 months and love it, its quick, comfortable and just a sexy car. Today I was driving it for about 10 minutes without any issues. I was pulling onto the highway when all of a sudden I lost all power, the car turned into a snail. I noticed that I couldnt boost past halfway in the green, and that the car barely hit 2k RPM. If I kept pushing a little past 2k, the engine would all of sudden race, but still not boost.

Ive been searching and searching and have read multiple threads about low boost, and the little tests you can do to check things, but I havent solved my issue yet.

I do not have a CEL on, the car is not smoking, and I cannot see anything out of the ordinary. Its not in Limp Mode, not making any weird noises or anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th March 2012

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 SE Turbo 2.3

Try this.There is a black valve with 3 lines on the front of it just above the turbo.Lines are vacuums.Pull the bottom one off and plug the line you can leave the other on the valve open and see if this helps.If so your good to go.Did mine almost a yr ago and nvr had a problem again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saab motor.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	28045  
Old 5th March 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: Elskerinne..'02 Saab 9-5 HBSaabs stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99saab9-5t View Post
Try this.There is a black valve with 3 lines on the front of it just above the turbo.Lines are vacuums.Pull the bottom one off and plug the line you can leave the other on the valve open and see if this helps.If so your good to go.Did mine almost a yr ago and nvr had a problem again.
correct me if I'm wrong but shouldnt it be the top "w" hose and not the bottom?
Old 5th March 2012

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 SE Turbo 2.3

Ty TankTak.Correction confirmed,lol..Pull top hose NOT bottom.
Old 5th March 2012

Thanks guys,

I had done all these tests prior to my post, thats why I was lost as to what the next step was. I ended up putting a pressure gauge on the compressor side of the turbo to check what I was getting for boost, and at 2k RPM I wasnt getting any!
I pulled the turbo to find that it was siezed. It freed up by hand and spun freely with no play in the shaft and no tough spots in the bearing, so I think minimal damage, if any was done. This lead me to pull the oil line to find that it was semi clogged with sludge. I have received all the parts from Saab, and I'll be dropping the sump and cleaning everything out, along with pulling the valve cover and cleaning the supply lines in there too. Is there anything else I should be aware of while I'm at it?
Old 8th March 2012

Thanks guys. I had done these test's before this post, that's why I was lost as to what to do next.

I ended up putting a pressure gauge right on the compressor side of the turbo and running the car, just to find that I wasnt building any boost. Next, I pulled the down pipe to inspect the turbine and the wastegate. I found that the turbo had siezed, but spun free with just a little pressure from my finger. Once it freed up, it spun with out any problem, no hard spots or play in the bearings. I figured because I drove so lightly on it once I realized there was an issue, that I probably saved the turbo from serious damage.

I removed the oil supply line next to find that it was partially clogged with sludge. Once I got here I knew exactly what I was about to face. I dropped the sump to find about a 1/2" of sludge on the bottom of the pan, and the pickup filter about 50% blocked.

Needless to say, the car is back in operation and runs great. This forum was a big help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement