Saab 93 - 2006 Convertible (Airbag malfunction. Contact Service) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th February 2012

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 convertible
Default Saab 93 - 2006 Convertible (Airbag malfunction. Contact Service)

Hello guys.

I've got 2-3 things I would like to ask and maybe somebody can give me an advise. Last Sunday morning I had the warning message 'Airbag malfunction Contact service' appearing on my screen. This came minutes after the starting up check which showed everything was ok. I've driven on the motorway for 100 Km and kept coming up several times. When switching off the car and restarting it came up once and then no more. It's been 3 days now with no warning coming up (even though I also driven on the motorway for an hour) and this morning when starting the car this message came up again repeatedly. Switching off and restarting and driving for a few kilometers more it didn't appear.

I read somewhere that airbag might be linked to the seats position (?) That Sunday morning I got the warning for the first time, we moved forward one of the seats so that a friend seats at the back. Maybe we touched something we shouldn't? :-) Can the airbag system be so sensitive though?
Has anybody got a clue what this might be? I read the manual and it's written somewhere that in the event you get this message you have to contact service immediately and that airbag can erroneously open (?) Is there any risk it opens out of the blue while driving? Maybe my questions sound stupid but I wanted to share them with you. Is there something I can check?
Thanks a lot n advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th February 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 04 93, 03 93, 01/95

Schedule a 1/2 hour Tech 2 service and ask them to pinpoint the sensor that is talking. I had one airbag sensor that was at issue. Replacement cured event.
Old 16th February 2012

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 2.0T

brave man, had airbag warning light on my lincoln navigator turned out to be a common fault. While getting mine checked out a lady with a neck brace on was their getting hers put back in with the same fault...

SO.. Either take it to have it checked out by a resonable mechanic, or get a neck brace lol
Old 17th February 2012

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t

The air bag sensor is located under the passenger seat. there is a black box under the seat and it might of disconnected. I got that error when i was trying to remove onstar. So check under the passenger seat to make sure everythings connected.
Old 12th September 2013

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 linear 9-3 Turbo" 2006 Saab Vert
Garage
Wink

same thing happened to me i have a 2006 saab 9-3 aero convertible... I was checking things out under my seat on the drivers side just to see what was under (i found lipstick and previous owners drivers license under there haha) well I moved the seat all the way forward and then all the way back.. after i finished checking things out i decided drive somewhere and when i started my car up I got the airbag malfunction cantact saab dealership. I was like WTF O NO WHY!!! and then I thought.. I probably caused something to disconnect from moving my seats because it was fine before I started messing with my seats. There are wires under the drivers seat I found this little black plastic thing laying on the carpet and I was wondering were did this come from.. and then I found this loose black cable thing that was just loose well I started messing with the little black thing seeing where it came off from. which actually it had to go clipped on to the loose wire so I believe that black plastic thing was a sensor. I started my car up and the air bag malfunction contact saab dealership message went away! well that fixed the problem im sure I caused but now I have a loose cable with the airbag sensor all loose dangling under my car seat i have no idea where it suppose to be attached to like the seat or onto another sensor but it did get rid of my air bag malfunction message... That had me scared for about a day till i figured it was just the sensor that had to be reconnected to that loose black wire. I wish I knew more about my car. Well it is my second saab. Im a
previous owner of a 2003 saab 9-3 sedan
Old 13th September 2013
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Arc 2006 9-3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Steel View Post
... There are wires under the drivers seat I found this little black plastic thing laying on the carpet and I was wondering were did this come from.. and then I found this loose black cable thing that was just loose well I started messing with the little black thing seeing where it came off from. which actually it had to go clipped on to the loose wire so I believe that black plastic thing was a sensor. ...
That is a seat position sensor. It detects if the seat is close to the steering wheel or not based on the seat track position. If close to the wheel, then the front airbag will be depowered since the driver is so close to the airbag. I'm not positive of Saab's settings, but it is most likely set up so that if the sensor is faulted, then it assumes that the seat is forward and defaults to the lower inflation rate for that airbag.

BTW, the plastic sensor itself should be attached to the side of the seat rail. If not, then you have a problem in that it is always going to read the same seat position, no matter what the seat position is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	49738  

Last edited by indy500; 13th September 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 15th September 2013

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 9-3ss Aero convertible

Just to add in here, if your car is fitted with a battery disabling switch on the positive terminal of your battery then please go to: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh....php?p=2679049

If no disabling switch then please disregard this. As said it could most likely be the seat position sensor anyway.
Old 16th September 2013

Garage
Default Cool

Thanks a lot it looks exactly like that on the picture. I will put it back to its original place.
Old 23rd September 2013

Garage
Cool 2006 Saab Airbag Malfunction Drivers side problem

well now for the second time I got the saab airbag malfunction contact saab dealer ship.
just right after i messed with the black cable trying to put it back inplace one thing i read was I should've of disconnected the battery first before messing
with the cables under the seat. that would of helped not getting the code to pop up(will try next time if i have to)
i made sure all cables were connected right.. After 4 days of driving and restarting the car the message went away.. weird its been over 2 weeks or so that the message hasn't displayed.. im sure there is no problem with my airbag .. its just me messing with under neath the seat that gave me problems, those things down there are sensitive if messed with. not again will i mess with it..

Last edited by Blue_Steel; 10th October 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-3 turbo4 convertible
Default Airbag malfunction 2011 9-3 convertible

This morning I got in and turned on the car and the airbag malfunction, contact service. Came up on the SD. Never had it before. Anyone can help?

Note: I haven't touched any wiring.

Last edited by berkeleydojah; 4 Days Ago at 06:34 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Had the Airbag light last week... 1/2 hr tech II Labor and they found nothing and referred to it as a Ghost code.
Old 4 Days Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-3 turbo4 convertible

I pulled the F2 fuse and it's gone now
Old 4 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Arc 2006 9-3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleydojah View Post
This morning I got in and turned on the car and the airbag malfunction, contact service. Came up on the SD. Never had it before. Anyone can help?

Note: I haven't touched any wiring.
There are 65+ wires in that system. It's very difficult to guess. You need a code to go on and to tag it you likely have to go to a dealer, or we need some more more specifics on when the lamp cones on and goes off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement