P0033 - Wastegate Arm Seized ; 2005 9-3 2.0 little "t" - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th February 2012

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: '05 9-3 Linear 2.0t
Default P0033 - Wastegate Arm Seized ; 2005 9-3 2.0 little "t"

Hello everyone! newbie here.

I recently had a P0033 code pulled after our 2005 9-3 2.0"t" illuminated the CEL and went into limp home mode.

The mechanic I brought it to claims he's inspected the vacuum hoses, solenoids, etc and found that the arm connecting the solenoid to the wategate itself is seized and is.."unserviceable". The kicker is he's claiming the only solution is a full turbo replacement

I've spent the better part of the last few hours perusing the threads to try and address my particular dilemma. I've found a ton on P0033 but have not been able to find anything relating to the "arm being seized".

I would appreciate any feedback the saab gurus here can provide. needless to say, I'm not interested in their 'recommended approach"

Thanks in advance for any advice you can send my way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th February 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 93 arc espresso black

The wastegate is held onto the turbo by two bolts and a coder pin if you want to check if it actually is remove the wastegate diaphram check to see that the arm will push back into the diaphram (there should bre resistance its spring loaded but it should not be seized). Then check the flapper valve its connected to on the turbo it should open with ease if its not then theres probably either a blockage or some damage that caused it to be stuck. If both of those are working then its not something mechnical.

Its really simple to do and itll save you money and if ur mechanic is wrong and trying to get you to do it maybe try another.

i rule your internet.
Old 15th February 2012

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: '05 9-3 Linear 2.0t

Thanks PACOTACO unfortunately I've not seen it yet, but do understand that the end seized is the flapper valve on the turbo. If this is the case is my only option replacing the turbo? It sure seems crazy to me!
Old 15th February 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bje View Post
Thanks PACOTACO unfortunately I've not seen it yet, but do understand that the end seized is the flapper valve on the turbo. If this is the case is my only option replacing the turbo? It sure seems crazy to me!
What seems crazy is that seizing because the flapper has a stainless steel. Earing going though a cast iron housing and as long as that car sees daily use theres very little chance that its seized over sith rust verrrry slim. If it is actually seized you can either tear the turbo apart and bang the flapper with a hammer and heat to unseize it or buy a new one luckly an lot of 2.0t guys like to swaP their turbos for us bigger t's so u might be able to pick one up for cheap

i rule your internet.
Old 15th February 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Dbl post sry

i rule your internet.
Old 15th February 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9-3ss 2.0t vector/9000 CSE V6/900 cabrio

The issue, is the wastegate actuactor is broken or the wastegate(the valve integrated in the turbo) is the one broken or stuck?

If it's the wastegate actuator the one broken, it could be replaced, but you need to check at Garret the reference and ask for a new one. If the wastegate, let's say the valve that is integrated in the turbo is broken, due the axle that permits to open/close the valve is broken or similar, then you need to replace the turbo. It happened to me twice, one due the Abbott ECU upgrade I installed first, as they change the wastegate actuator for a smaller one it caused the wastegate to be forced and broke twice.

Another possible issue and common to this turbo, is the diaphragm valve, that usually breaks, and there is kit to replace it at SAAB.

regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement